PDA

View Full Version : Photo copier, scanner, printer all-in-ones.

beetle
14-04-2004, 07:48 PM
i did a search and really thought i had posted on this before but cannot for the life of me find any posts / threads on this subject by me????
so sorry if this has been done before.

in the past i have posted about a old Minolta copyier. (major personality clash here LOL remember?)
well we have decided to get rid of it and upgrade it. or should i say give it back.

with a all in one machine, and was wanting to know if any one has used one or even has one? what possible brands am i looking it?

something smaller than the huge big one we currently have,

i have seen Brother have something, but dont know of any other makes etc.

its still bugging me i really thought i had posted on this already...

apologies other wise.

beetle

Noel Nosivad
14-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Hey beetle,

HP does them, Epson does them and Brother does them. HP (http://welcome.hp.com/country/nz/en/prodserv/printing_multifunction.html)

Have a look at Epson (http://epson.co.nz/) for their line up of multifunction printers.

And for Brother (http://www.brother.co.nz/public/productGroup.asp?ProductGroupID=1020) try this link.

There's possibly more who do them, but these are the ones that I have worked with.

Noel Nosivad

Billy T
14-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Presuming you want colour printing beetle, the machine would have to be an inkjet which means that its photocopying facilities would be fairly slow. That's fine if you only need the odd one or two copies, but useless if you need to run several. For that you would then have to go to a local copy-shop which kinda defeats the purpose of buying a copier feature at all.

I don't know off-hand if monochrome laser copier/scanner/printers are made but they would be a reasonable compromise for short runs of copies. The biggest drawback is that if one function goes out, effectively they are all out, and I assume you want this for your business so reliability is important.

Personally I would buy a secondhand copier, they don't cost to much and wouldn't have to be a monster like your Minolta. I started with a Xerox 1012 that gave many years of service, and I only sold it because I needed better enlarging facilities. I sold it for $200 about three years ago complete with a red colour cartridge as well as the black.

Scanners don't cost much either so you need to look carefully at the cost of buying an all in one versus discrete units.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Susan B
14-04-2004, 09:01 PM
Hiya Beetle,

I can't remember you posting on this topic but lots of other people have - including Godfather if I remember correctly. :p

Yep, check out this page (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=35845&message=169438&q=multifunction#169438) and this one (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=37141&message=179617&q=multifunction#179617) for his words of wisdom. :D

beetle
14-04-2004, 09:07 PM
hi ya, the copying part is usually one offs, but sometimes great screeds of things,
work stuff is usually bulk of the same item so as long as it copies speed doesnt worry me. would it be slower than a comp printer?

didnt worry me about it not printing in colour, as the copier now only does B/W.

hadnt really thought about printing photo's off it, just wanted something that can sit in the office and use when customers say can i copy this etc, or scan this, (so i dont have to wait for comp to fire up etc)

and thought having a scanner , copier option was better.
hadnt really seen anything out there before so was just hoping for some knowledgeable feedback.

the few 2nd hand business shop round here is a little pricey and found it may be better off buying new, then if have probs (LOL) i can take it back....

remember this is beetle we talking about.... im a walking disaster to machines and electrical equipment.

still not sure about my options yet.....

thanxs

beetle

metla
14-04-2004, 09:27 PM
I have one of the brother combined fax/copier/printers,run my entire business through it,its pretty sweet.

Next model up from mine has the "scanner" option,it wasn't something i bothered, i like my stand-alone scanner....

beetle
14-04-2004, 09:35 PM
i do have a seperate scanner, but wanted this strictly for in the office,

as the scanner is on the lemon and not active all the time like the office comp.

and as the waiting for the comp to be ready then the scanner also i just thought $$$ wernt to bad ill look at the scanner option too.

some also have a fax option (just to confuse you all) do you think with that many items in the machine something has got to give? something not be quite up to standard etc???

Metla is this the Fax machine you talked about in other posts ???
or entirely diff machine??

and yes knew Goddie would put me right in those posts / linked Susan B, but he has not popped in as of yet tonight so may also wait for that startling input to throw the cat amoung pigeons ideas i have.... :D

thanxs all.
beetle

neddy
14-04-2004, 10:40 PM
I bought a Brother MFC-3420C (inkjet) last December for $350 and am very pleased with it.
I use it mostly for faxing and scanning (dumped the HP2300C scanner which was pathetic)
The copying function is just fine (B&W or colour), not slow at all, has sheet feeder and flatbed capability, sorts, does multiples, enlarges/reduces.
Great to be able to fax from the flatbed (books, little flimsy paper receipts that normally get chewed) as well as the sheet feeder.
Can also fax in colour, but of course only to/from another colour fax machine. Never seen a colour fax yet!
A great asset to my business - recommended.
Neddy

metla
14-04-2004, 10:54 PM
I only have the one fax machine Beetle,so yes its one and the same machine.I bought it to save deskspace seeing as the computer plugs straight into her and its print output is superior and faster then my existing printer(also has seperate colour tanks).Its also my telephone.

Considering the price(think it was about $250?) if any one part of it does fail the entire machine will be getting replaced,and its already proved to be money well spent (its my second favourite item that i have bought for my shop,My black leather "power seat" takes top honour).

Greg S
15-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Something to keep in mind is the notorious unreliability of photocopiers. Things that electronics hate are heat, dust and movement - copiers have to operate under all three conditions. Therefore find out if your proposed machine's scanner and printer functions will still work if the copier bit packs a sad.

Rob99
15-04-2004, 02:12 AM
Dont buy a Brother, every-one I know who uses one says they are crap.
Go with HP, they have all you are after Printer/Copier/Scaner/Fax some even have card readers.
HP will Give you the best results, but the ink is pricey

sam m
15-04-2004, 07:41 AM
I have been looking for something in this range as well for a couple of reasons.

I dont have a lot of desk space and I want to cut down on connected peripherals to my computer.

HP at the top end do produce a good product BUT cartridge refills are horrendous.

I am starting to base my choices now on cartridge replacements which is starting to point to Canon or Epsom. After market & refills are more likely with these brands rather than the HP ones.

godfather
15-04-2004, 10:38 AM
I currently use a Brother 3820CN, a Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax (inkjet)
It connects either by USB or Network (ethernet).

I chose it for its network capabilities. I need a network connected unit.

It also has slots for all the camera cards and acts as a reader for them.

Scanning is OK, as is copying. Slow but very effective for 1 offs that I need in the office. Multiple sheet feeds for faxing copying and scanning is handy.

Fax capabilities are supurb.

Printing is average to good but quite slow, not as good or fast as my old HP unit (which died, and which did not do faxing).

The cartridges are 3 x colour and 1 x black. Colour are $20 each colour and black is $30, so running cost will be lower than the HP.

I only use the colour printer for low volume presentation stuff, I have an HP Laserjet 2100 for high speed b/w printing

The unit that is perfect in every function does not exist, so its a matter of choosing the best fit for my needs. This time around it was the Brother. At the cost of these devices now they have entered the "disposable" category so I don't get too scientific about the purchase. They can be replaced easily and cheaply.

antmannz
15-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a lot of the Brother products were re-worked and re-badged HPs.

Susan B
15-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Found this PC World page (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/f2abee2df7582f36cc2569a4007e4ab9/dad35d1e731b078ccc256e5b0081d71a!OpenDocument) on these machines which I assume is also in the current magazine (haven't got around to getting mine yet :8}).

metla
15-04-2004, 01:06 PM
I had a read of that article last night,seems the brother machines came dead last,...

Must mean my prior machine was a total dog if im so pleased with my Brother,lmao.

beetle
15-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Oh i havent read that far in the magazine yet...... :( and hadnt spotted it yet ...sorry guys...

now im a little lost does this machine (any brand) have to be connected to my comp?
what if i decided not to use the fax option? and just wait for the current fax machine to spit the dummy?????

seems quite a good idea to have the fax option as we have little glitches with it occasionally, that would be normal considering it being me who owns it a???

i would like the machine to be able to copy from books and odd papers so thats another thing to look at i guess....

and i am a little bias on what it looks like and size, would be great if it could fit where current fax machine is but time will tell.

and also as im home alone doing homework i wont be shopping this week,

:D

thanxs people

beetle

godfather
15-04-2004, 02:16 PM
> now im a little lost does this machine (any brand)
> have to be connected to my comp?
> what if i decided not to use the fax option? and just
> wait for the current fax machine to spit the
> dummy?????

On most current machines I have seen, there is no need to have the unit connected to a PC (or if it is connected anyway, to have the PC running) to use either the copier or fax functions.

Obviously the printer and scanner functions will need the PC.

And you don't have to use the fax function, just don't connect the phone line if you don't need the fax facility.

beetle
15-04-2004, 02:27 PM
so in essence these machines are not stand alone machines?

they need a PC for support, ?

how do they work printer / scanner wise then? do you need to work from PC to be able to get these items to work???

having a almost blonde day here.....

confuzzled, as never having had one before,
but then i hadnt had a fax or a copier till i came here ...... bloody horrible machines in my estimation. :D

beetle

Susan B
15-04-2004, 02:56 PM
> so in essence these machines are not stand alone machines?

Half and half.....

> they need a PC for support, ?

> how do they work printer / scanner wise then? do you need to work from PC to be able to get these items to work???

Well if you want to print something, what are you going to print? You will print something from your computer, won't you? So it has to be connected to the computer to get the information on what to print.......

Same with the scanner - it needs the computer's software to tell it how to capture the image and then it needs to save the captured image somewhere, doesn't it? So it needs the computer......

For photocopying it doesn't need the computer, nor does it need the computer for the fax as the doofus already has instructions built in to do those jobs. ;-)

> confuzzled, as never having had one before,

Nor have I.... :p :D

> but then i hadnt had a fax or a copier till i came here ...... bloody horrible machines in my estimation. :D

They can be, when they want to. :D

beetle
15-04-2004, 03:01 PM
man im having a duh day today arnt i?????

i think i got the idea that printing and copying are the same action if you get what i mean?

i got the scanner bit just the print bit, is stuffed......

coffee please!!!!!!!!!!!

beetle

AnneLear
15-04-2004, 03:09 PM
For what it's worth, I have a new HP PSC 2410 with scanner, copier, printer and fax, and it's looovely - fast, easy to use, does what it's supposed to. I shopped around and www.ascent.co.nz was cheapest - be careful if you go to Warehouse Stationery, same model number not esp. cheap and has no fax.
Fax and copier functions are standalone, scanner scans to computer so needs it. Cartridges will be dear but then all the price comparisons I did were pretty much the same. I don't think you can reload the ink cartridges now but haven't tried yet. Also the bundled software - image management - is excellent. I've had an HP printer in the past, and it was good - died recently after 4 years of reasonably heavy, troublefree domestic use, when the roller cogs wore out
Ony problem is one that I think is probably common to all scanners/faxes - won't do a New Zealand A4 bank statement quite to the edges without a lot of fussing about.
Also the fax wouldn't work unless plugged directly into the phone socket on the wall, but the plug it came with has space for the modem to piggyback onto it, so not a big deal.

Chris Randal
15-04-2004, 03:32 PM
We bought this one from QMB Computers (http://www.qmb.co.nz) a while ago and it works very well.

Lexmark X1150 (http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?100660)

Biggles
15-04-2004, 03:50 PM
>I had a read of that article last night,seems the brother machines came dead last,...

>Must mean my prior machine was a total dog if im so pleased with my Brother,lmao.

The Brother came bottom of the pack using the criteria I used. Its weaknesses were the quality of the scanner and the quality of prints on photo paper -- neither is a strong suit making it not a great buy for someone wanting to scan and print photos. Yet Brother includes card readers in the printer which might make a user think it was suitable for digital camera prints, when really, it isn't.

If that isn't a concern, it's a stronger contender. For general office printing/scaning/copying/faxing it woud be good.

However the HP was noteable for handling all the range of tasks well, including excellent plain paper reproduction. It's an excellent all-rounder.

beetle
15-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Thanxs BB,

ya know when you pop into a thread (especially mine) i always think oh dear someones in trouble..... had a few locked threads lately.....

and most of the time it could be me too, i seem to be in a few of the locked threads........ could be a beetle that has caused the glitch and caused a few flames to be shot about.

but not today.

just to add to the confusion i am now feeling...LOL may have to actually go and look at these machines now....... see what they look like, size, and ease of understanding.....

still not absolutly certain whether i need a fax on it or not but will read your article in a spare minute and then go a hunting i guess.

thanxs all,

i seem to stir up a lot of interest in some of my posts lately havent I?
Camera's, battery's, and downloading, and now multifunction machines.....

beetle

Susan B
15-04-2004, 04:43 PM
> i seem to stir up a lot of interest in some of my posts lately havent I?
> Camera's, battery's, and downloading, and now multifunction machines....

Yes, you are a bit of a stirrer - you have now got me wondering what excuses I can give for getting one of these toys for myself. :p :D

LMAO

beetle
15-04-2004, 04:47 PM
Susan B to do what with???????

send me fax's i guess...lololol

ROFLMAO.....

gotta keep every one on there toes...... cant let things get boring round here Mum.....lol

what else do i need to know about?????? ?:|

beetle