PDA

View Full Version : Arrrggh! Unicast Advertising is here!

camo
14-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Has anone else come across this new, annoying form of advertising? In a nutshell, big companies such as Maccas and Honda decided that pop-ups just weren't doing the job, and are trialing new, full screen, tv-quality 30 second ads.

Now that's all very well, but poor old Camo sitting on his 56k connection has to endure incredibly slow internet speed (for about 20 minutes, I only get 28.8k speed here) while the 2MB advertisment loads stealthily in the background. Grrrrrr.......*shakes fist at the sky*

Does anyone know a way around this? I know there is only a few sites trialing these ads at the moment, but by the sounds of it, its gonna go mainstream really soon.

Does Ad-Aware or any other app block the ads?

Anyone know a list of the sites supporting these ads?

P.S. The Honda Unicast is actually quite good. It's a Honda SUV being built out of Lego. Ace.

Big John
14-04-2004, 05:47 PM
Nortons Internet Security. It allows you to block sites by name or IP address so it wont load your ads.
The other way to do it is if you known what the name of the site is that is causing the ad then put it in your HOSTS file and set it to localhost and it will load nothing.

bmason
14-04-2004, 08:07 PM
I haven't seen any yet, but I am quite restrictive about what I let my browser do.

Do you know what they are using for the movies? eg Flash.

> P.S. The Honda Unicast is actually quite good. It's
> a Honda SUV being built out of Lego. Ace.

Don't say thay, you don't want to encourage them (although at least its something more creative than the flashing "click me" on most sites).

camo
14-04-2004, 08:48 PM
I'm not too sure what the ads are made with, but it's using "Media Player 9 technology" - whatever that means.

heres an article on it http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040120/sftu047_1.html

I guess they just assume that all computer users are on broadband now. Sucks to be me - I can't even get broadband where I live.

stu120404
14-04-2004, 10:57 PM
> Has anone else come across this new, annoying form of
> advertising? In a nutshell, big companies such as
> Maccas and Honda decided that pop-ups just weren't
> doing the job, and are trialing new, full screen,
> tv-quality 30 second ads.

Does the ad look like this: http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/flashad.jpg( see bottom of the image)Or something like that?

> Do you know what they are using for the movies? eg
> Flash.

The above ad, which I seen, was using flash, unless it has changed?

camo
15-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Nah nah nah......

I'm talking fullscreen, tv-style, full motion video advertising. It doesn't look anything like Flash.....

ABC News, Fox Sports and MSN are some of the sites trialling it. If you go to one of these sites, and play around for a while (like I did on Fox Sports) one of these ads will take over the screen once the ad (2MB) has downloaded. It will appear in between pages, a "commercial break" if you like.....

mikebartnz
15-04-2004, 01:44 AM
Use the hosts file.

camo
15-04-2004, 04:59 PM
> Use the hosts file.

Ummmm yes! I shall.....ermmmm......do that!

Cheerrrrrrz.