PDA

View Full Version : About to buy printers... need opinions.

Growly
14-04-2004, 05:20 PM
Hey there.

We've been printerless for a few months now, and as we run several home businesses decided it was too long.

I recommended the HP LaserJet 1300N for black and white printing (so the inkjet costs dont end up being too high for black and white).

Also for colour (pictures in these businesses are important), i suggested the epson stylus c83 (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=118846) It provides high quality, but the running costs are minimised as the high quality colour we need from it will not be used often.

The reason the HP is Networked is because that way the all computers (7 currently) can access it without trouble, as the main computers that can host them are REALLY old.

Anything seriously wrong with either of these two that I should be aware of before ordering?

Billy T
14-04-2004, 07:00 PM
Does the Epson have separate ink tanks? I have stuck to Canon for that reason (+print quality and reliability) and have never regretted it.

Also, there seem to be far fewer posts here about Canon inkjet problems than there are for Epson or HP, or am I dreaming?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Growly
14-04-2004, 08:08 PM
I appreciate that....

:-s

Yes, they do have separate ink tanks. A friend of mine has the model down and is very happy....

Argh.. confused - ill go find some canons then

sam m
20-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Might be a bit late but just like to add I have recently bought epson r310 (on sale at warehouse stationery $400) and I absolutely LOVE IT!!

Have just printed Photo like prints and I swear my untrained eye cannot tell the difference.

Also I have just bought some printable cd's (they work out about $1 each) and they just make by cd burning look so professional (not that I am selling anything of course).

One downside.........my Xandros boot doesnt recognise it, oh well cant win them all.

sam m

Bazza
20-04-2004, 10:17 PM
BT is correct, after using an HP printer, and later using the Canon printers, like the i320 & the i850, the results for photo prints are amazing, & the EasyPrint software for printing is excellent.

the highlander
20-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Canon all the way. I use a 550 and and 560 both are fast, economical to run, reliable and have brilliant output.

Ashley Matthews
21-04-2004, 12:21 AM
I've been using a HP LaserJet 1300 for the past 3 weeks and have found it brilliant. Its quick, economical (from what I can see) and prints well defined text and pictures. I assume since you are thinking of the 'N' model it is for an office or business workgroup. Personally i think this is an excellent choice.

One thing you could do to save costs is to use an older PC, or a cheap $125 DSE USB print server instead of getting the N model which is simply a 1300 with built in 10/100 connectivity. A 1300 alone is only about $750 inc GST from corpcons.

Hope this helps,
Ash

Murray P
21-04-2004, 12:37 AM
I have an HP deskjet5550 and while I have no problems with the colour quality in particular I can sometimes spend $100 + producing one report (text & annotated photo's). As the others have said, try and get an injet with seperate print heads and ink tanks.

Do some research as to whether Epson still have the printer lock for cartirdges other than Epson's or refills. There is some disabling software you can apply, at your own risk. to get around this.

Cheers Murray P

mikebartnz
21-04-2004, 12:57 AM
For B & W printing I would go for a Laser as they are cheaper for bulk printing and for the colour I would go for a Cannon even though I saw a report on printers that reckoned HP were cheaper. Cannon cartridges hold more ink than HP ones and they are just ink not the print head.