PDA

View Full Version : Printing Digital Photo's - Photo Paper recommendations please

Chilling_Silence
14-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Greetings,

We've got an HP 59 Printer, and are looking to totally replace our old Camera... We much prefer Digital Photo's because we can see the pic right after its been taken.

Anyways, right now its costing us about a buck per print in photo paper, plus ink costs. Surely there are cheaper alternatives to the paper we are using (I dont have any right in front of me so I cant quote a brand sorry).

Can anybody recommend some lower cost Photo paper for me?

Many thanks

Chill.

karent
14-04-2004, 02:31 PM
There is a range of photo papers available from Kodak, Epson, and Celcast (my favourites). At the risk of stating the obvious, the lower quality paper you use, the worse the result. Digital prints are notorious for losing colour over time and even having a photo in a position where it is subject to some sunlight or even fluorescent light can have a serious affect on it's longevity. If you are making prints to keep in an album, you should use a black paper one rather than plastic sleeves or stick-down see-through pages. The black ones are uglier, sure, but are better long term for your pictures. Have a look at this site (http://www.epson.co.nz/products/supplies_and_media.asp) for more info on paper types/uses.
Cheers

Billy T
14-04-2004, 04:01 PM
You can do it for less if you burn the images to CD and take them to a commercial photo printing company. Their economies of scale would probably beat anything you can achieve at home. I've seen prices below 60c per print.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Susan B
14-04-2004, 06:07 PM
I agree with Billy. If you can be patient and save up quite a collection of photos that you want printed and then get them done at a photo printing shop you can expect to get a good discount for bulk orders and the quality would probably be better than what you can get printing them yourself.

Not long ago I was reading a really long thread in which a person was having great difficulty in getting good printouts with his printer. I can't remember the specific details except for the conclusion - it was the quality of the photo paper that he was using. Once he upgraded to a better quality (and more expensive) paper his results improved dramatically.

I have read of lots of other people having the same experience so you get what you pay for. Of course, you may be satisfied with less than perfect quality as a tradeoff in which case I guess you will just have to experiment.

Susan B
14-04-2004, 06:15 PM
Frogprint's (http://www.frogprints.co.nz/services/volumeprint.cfm) photos are 70c each for 6 x 4 if you get 100 printed.

Have you got 100 to print? :p :D

karent
14-04-2004, 06:40 PM
I agree - getting photos printed in the manner suggested (using CD then going to a "shop") is a good idea. However, I have achieved fantastic results printing 10" x 15" (close to A4) using an Epson photo printer (cost about $300) on ColorLife paper off a Sony DSC-S75 Cybershot DC. They were great, and I'm no photographer. And the best thing is, you can see the results straight away. So I'm still a fan of do-it-yourself.
Cheers

R.M.
14-04-2004, 07:18 PM
It depends on what you want.... At the weekend, I bought at Harvey Norman's a box of Canon matte photo paper, 50 sheets in a box, A4 size. I printed 4 photos on one sheet of paper, and then trimmed them just slightly to make them 6 x 4. The box of paper cost me just over $20. So cheap prints. I like them, but not everyone would agree - lots of people prefer the 'glossy' prints. I find that these show finger prints more easily. Your choice.

What I am really looking for is a source of 'lustre' paper, similar to what Frogprint uses for printing. I haven't seen any available, and think that it is Fuji brand. Anyone got any ideas on this?

Cheers
MrsMac :)

Bazza
14-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Hi Chilling, Lots of good advice here, but you were asking for recommendations of lower cost photo paper.

When you say it costs a buck a print + ink, what size are you printing? Possibly 6 x 4" & are you buying 6 x 4 paper, which I find expensive.

I dont know your HP59 printer, but have used an HP820cxi, which gave poor photo prints using very expensive inks.

More recently I've used the Canon i320 & Canon i850 printers. The results are amazing, and ink costs reasonable. In addition the included software, like others enables you to print four photos per A4 page at about 6 x 4 each.

As others have stated, you get what you pay for, and you could be disappointed with cheaper papers. Many PF1ers will have favourite papers after their experiences. I've tried several. The Kodak double sided Picture paper is reasonable, but for sparkling glossy prints my favourite is the HP photo paper glossy 175g/m, cost about $1 per A4.

And so, Chill, will your printer print A4 size? If so, why not try a good quality paper for 4 photos per A4 page. Cost about 50c per pic + ink.

When you get a really great digital image from your camera, get reckless & do an A4 for $1 + ink. Good luck..

Poppa John
14-04-2004, 10:13 PM
karent.... I'm with you on this one. How often does one need "Actual Photo Quality" pictures? We have a Kodak Digital, a Canon i550 printer & an Epson C20 printer. Maryann reckons the Epson produces better colour than the Canon. Paper? We get whatever is on "Special" it does not seem to make any appreciable difference, we do however check its compatability. What are the chances that all brands are made to the same specs in China anyway?????
Often our Digi photos are printed oh 80g plain paper as snapshots on letters that we type & snailmail to the UK.
I suggest that the quality difference will only be seen by an expert anyway. So there!!!! PJ :D :D

Bazza
14-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Poppa, If you you dont need"Actual Photo Quality" pictures, most digi people do.

You've got good printers, and I'm amazed you dont notice any difference between papers, just choosing whats on special.

It really doesn't need "an expert" to see the difference between papers.

Chilling_Silence
15-04-2004, 01:56 AM
Okay... So far the concensus is to use the larger retailers.

I forgot to mention that this was actually work that purchased the Printer.

The printer wont do A4 prints because its a specific Photo Printer.. It wont take larger than the 6x4" sheets....

We'd also rather not have to cut/chop the pages.

Thanks for the advice so far, but the underlying question still stands...

Chill.