PDA

View Full Version : warehouse and Dell,again but better.

_david_
14-04-2004, 12:01 PM
hi guys,

im not in the market anymore but, have you seen todays warehouse flyer? its a lot better than their previous offer and not a lot more expensive. just thought some people may be interested.

dave.

hamstar
14-04-2004, 12:47 PM
I had a quick look at it and saw it had a Geforce FX GO card in it!

WHY!!!!???

Why would a desktop computer have a laptop graphics card in it. Seeing as a GO card would be designed with limitations to a laptop, such as limited power consumption.

This would severely effect serious gamers wouldn't it? And they are flaunting it as a gamers computer...

In my eyes this is a dirty trick to keep prices down but still stoopifying the newbies out there.....

Shame on you dell....

aNtzy
14-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Also drivers don't come with the system. I don't think the Warehouse supplies drivers for any of their systems.

hamstar
14-04-2004, 12:56 PM
Heres the link to the pdf if anyone hasn't got the flyer.

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/rexcomposer/files_download.asp?id=100005443&x=1

The only other think thats **** on this computer is the RAM...

256MB? Comon Dell, you know better than that! At least DDR-333 is a step up.

Oh and while we're on the topic of storebought computer. I opened up a PC company computer yesterday.... the fan on the heatsink was right up against the side of the psu...

No wonder they went bust....

beetle
14-04-2004, 02:03 PM
and if you were a serious gamer do you really think they would go to warehouse for there Comp???

its ok for the little newbie at home user no matter what the details i guess.

im picking it doesnt have a floppy disk?
i try not to use Adobe as Mozilla throws a wobbly, so havent seen all the specs. just did a quick read, and havent got a flyer.

at some of those specs it may even out do my lemon.......hmmmmm

maybe i should get one. :p

LOL

beetle

DangerousDave
14-04-2004, 02:31 PM
lol i've known about them for a few days now, but it was under great secrecy apparently cos they don't want other companies to know (i work there that is)

They don't look too bad, the only reason i'd even consider getting one is for the 15% discount but still, they are dell....

The even better thing is that jewellery dept. are in charge of all the computers and all the girls have no idea at all, so guess who always has to deal with stupid customer enquires... :)

- David

metla
14-04-2004, 03:17 PM
If as advertised they have used a GO chip then the $999 deal is a better buy,both computers are useful for outloook express/internet explorer and thats about it.

People who buy computers from the warehouse deserve what they get,actually people who buy anything from the warehouse deserve what they get,i went into one the other day,packed with people,all scrambling to get there hands on piles and piles and piles of utter junk barely worthy of having a price tag.

fus1_n
14-04-2004, 03:38 PM
> If as advertised they have used a GO chip then the
> $999 deal is a better buy,both computers are useful
> for outloook express/internet explorer and thats
> about it.

Both the deals are total rubbish. Buy custom building your own PC you could easily fit a G-Force FX5700 in a $1400 PC.

beetle
14-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Exactly,

any Geeky type person wouldnt touch them with a barge pole,

but any home user, who either has nothing or something out of the ark would find one of these fine, and may even never use it to full potential.

we are not all the same, our needs are different, and also some pockets of $$$ and knowledge are not deep or endless.

beetle

Terry Porritt
14-04-2004, 04:18 PM
I find it a sign of something, I dont know what, the words elude me, sadness?? that all people (or very many anyway judging by PressF1) use their computers for is to play dubious games , and judge a computers merits by how well it can play games.

Is there nothing else in life, or are people living inside a "Matrix" ?:|

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
14-04-2004, 04:27 PM
> I find it a sign of something, I dont know what, the
> words elude me, sadness?? that all people (or very
> many anyway judging by PressF1) use their computers
> for is to play dubious games , and judge a computers
> merits by how well it can play games.
>
> Is there nothing else in life, or are people living
> inside a "Matrix" ?:|

I cann't resist not posting this, but I believe, after Terry's last few contributions that we shall crown him "sir" :D I completely agree with him. Very sad indeed. Beetle's advice is also helpful, people have different needs, and believe it or not, many will be more wealthy than you. I know of people who think spending $1000s of dollars on a simple computer, doing no more than Excel, is too cheap for man's likings.

Shaun Minfie
14-04-2004, 05:25 PM
> Also drivers don't come with the system. I don't
> think the Warehouse supplies drivers for any of their
> systems.

The key words in that statment are "I dont think"

Would you care to back up your thoughts?

Susan B
14-04-2004, 05:37 PM
<groan>

Not again....

The Warehouse are obviously doing alright with selling these Dell computers otherwise they wouldn't have got another lot in so soon after the first batch.

These computers are perfectly alright for people like my sister, brother, father-in-law and a few friends who do nothing but a bit of word processing, surf the net, emails and the odd "light" game that doesn't tax the system one bit. Heck, that is all that my Win 98 computer does these days and that Dell must have at least ten times more grunt even with Win XP on it. And it is nearly a third of the price I paid. :-(

Hmmm...... I had better not let the tribe see that flyer or they will be demanding to get one instead of having to queue up to play The Sims on my Beast these days. :p :D

metla
14-04-2004, 05:54 PM
> I find it a sign of something, I dont know what, the
> words elude me, sadness?? that all people (or very
> many anyway judging by PressF1) use their computers
> for is to play dubious games , and judge a computers
> merits by how well it can play games.
>
> Is there nothing else in life, or are people living
> inside a "Matrix" ?:|

A computer built with the ability to play games will mean a machine capable of doing everything that one could possibly throw at it,whether its working with large data files,video editiing,photoediting,encoding,whatever floats your boat.

A machine built to these specs is also able to sustain 100 percent load for extended periods.

In order to get a good quality machine that is worth buying then one needs to buy quality hardware,personaly i recomend everyone get a computer with a standalone video card,even if its just a fx5200 and the machine will never be taxed by DOOM3(not that a fx5200 would run it anyway),The machine wont slow down as it won't need to share ram,the display will be far superior,it will be able to handle much more info on screen,It will have the ability for TV_out and suport mutiple monitors.

AND....it also doubles as a superiour gaming platform when the need arises.

I judge a computer on the merits of its hardware,a computer is more then a cpu,That 1400 system is no better then their 999 system purely because they are only capable of the same tasks.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
14-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Thank tou melta for putting so much effort into constructing a informative, and "good-languaged" post. I begin to wonder if this is really you. In one afternoon, you have changed from "utter rubbish" to "merits of hardware" Incredible! Congrats. :D

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
14-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Thank you melta for putting so much effort into constructing a informative, and "good-languaged" post. I begin to wonder if this is really you. In one afternoon, you have changed from "utter rubbish" to "merits of hardware" Incredible! Congrats. :D

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
14-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Sorry, must of been the double clicking, sure am getting tired...

metla
14-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Believe me SY,i do not seek or care for your approval.

Growly
14-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Ofcourse, everyone seeks my approval......

(Just pretend... please)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
14-04-2004, 09:43 PM
> Believe me SY,i do not seek or care for your
> approval.

Just like me not reading anymore than 3 lines of your (and only) posts? I congradulated you (as weird as that may seem)... and you replied with such comment. Keep it to yourself thanks,

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
14-04-2004, 09:44 PM
*congratulated

Jester
14-04-2004, 09:59 PM
oh no a warehouse/Dell thread
it's deja vue all over again ....... arrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Personally I like the Warehouse (and Warehouse Stationery, buy lots of computer goodies there). Anything I buy from them that has been faulty has been exchanged or refunded, no questions asked ... (this included paint we purchased recently that was rubbish quality, but at least it cost us nothing to try)... cust service there is great as far as I am concerned.

J
:D:D:D

metla
14-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Sy,who the hell are you to judge me, my posts or my views?

I can damn well guarantee even my offhand flippant crap has more merit then your inept childish dribble.

You can stick your pious little congratulations right back in the orifice it squirted out of.

Jams
15-04-2004, 12:45 AM
> Sy,who the hell are you to judge me, my posts or my
> views?
>
> I can damn well guarantee even my offhand flippant
> crap has more merit then your inept childish
> dribble.
>
> You can stick your pious little congratulations right
> back in the orifice it squirted out of.

Metla!, why are you so insecure? and maybe a little paranoid if you ask me. but then agian you wern't asking me.

aroc
15-04-2004, 01:21 AM
> Thank tou melta for putting so much effort into constructing a informative, and "good-languaged" post. I begin to wonder if this is really you. In one afternoon, you have changed from "utter rubbish" to "merits of hardware" Incredible! Congrats.

Tell you what SY, you started this off. Basically what that says up there ^ is that up until now, all of Metla's posts have been "utter rubbish, uninformative, and badly written".

I can think of nothing more insulting.

Over these last few weeks I have noticed SY that your posts have become more and more arrogant and self centred.

I think you should lay off metla, he does a fine job around here with good, fast and helpful advice. Who are you to tell someone their posts are "utter rubbish, uninformative, and badly written"??? Hmm who are you?

> I can damn well guarantee even my offhand flippant crap has more merit then your inept childish dribble.
> You can stick your pious little congratulations right back in the orifice it squirted out of.

And that is one hell of a comeback!

aroc
15-04-2004, 01:25 AM
I've noticed over the past few weeks there's been about 2 or more threads that you've been involved in SY, and they have been promptly locked. This will likely be your third. You are nothing more than a stirrer.

Three strikes and your out, I reckon.

Biggles
15-04-2004, 09:43 AM
Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! Damnit!

Why oh why oh why can't you all just drop the slanging, back biting, bitching, oneupmanship, nasty, mean, arrogant sniping at each other?

The lot of you should go outside, pour a large bucket of cold water over your heads then go for a brisk walk.

Bring back national service, that's what I say.

Metla: Please don't repeat that kind of post above.
Sy: Stop being snide and picking a fight in the first place.
Aroc: Not helpful.

You two obviously don't exchange Christmas cards so why don't you leave it at that?