PDA

View Full Version : what could be wrong with my computer?

Megaman
13-04-2004, 05:45 PM
yes. it happened. one of my old computer parts has outlasted my new computers equivelent. we bought the sims superstar today. i installed it, but now it wont read the f****** disk. its still under warranty, and i'm taking it in to cyclone tomorrow. but i was wondering what it might be. its a perfect disk, no scratches or fingerprints. but whenever i put in the disk, it goes clunk-clunk until i take out the disk. what could be the matter?

Jen C
13-04-2004, 05:53 PM
What about other CD's, do they spin up correctly?

beetle
13-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Does it happen with any other disks?

has it read it at all?

has it has worked fine up till now? or not been used at all?

it opens close's smoothly?

anything else installed ok?

may be of no major significance but these questions come to mind.

beetle

Murray P
13-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Is the hole in the centre?

Cheers Murray P

Megaman
13-04-2004, 06:05 PM
> Does it happen with any other disks?

age of empires wont work either

> has it read it at all?

yes. when i installed it it read just fine, but now it wont work

> has it has worked fine up till now? or not been used
> at all?

we use said drive on a regular basis, but the disk is brand new

> it opens close's smoothly?

yep

> anything else installed ok?

software installed fine, but at the end of the installation, it froze. but that was after the sims was installed, and after i declined to install aol

> may be of no major significance but these questions
> come to mind.
>
> beetle
>

and yes the cd has a hole :D

Billy T
13-04-2004, 08:25 PM
> i installed it, but now it wont
> read the f****** disk.

Now now Ed, no need to be coy. ]:)

You are allowed to post flippin or even flaming on PF1.:D

Those asterisks are too hard on the eyes and can be misread as all sorts of mean 'n nasty words.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Megaman
14-04-2004, 07:36 AM
the monolpoly cd works ok, however the age of empires one dosent.

i am flaming annoyed at it. the cyclone person said it might be a fault with the power supply, not giving enough juice. could this be correct? it is a 180 watt psu, and a 52x cd-rom drive

agent
14-04-2004, 09:24 AM
That honestly depends on the other devices in your computer too. Susan B once gave me a link to a site where you could tell a script what devices you had, and it would calculate approximately how juicy a PSU would be needed.

Personally, I'd say that 180w is stretching it a bit, but if it's an older computer without too many devices it still should be sufficient.

Susan B
14-04-2004, 09:27 AM
> the cyclone person said it might be a fault with the power supply, not giving enough juice. could this be correct? it is a 180 watt psu, and a 52x cd-rom drive

Can't remember what your computer's specs are but that PSU is rather on the light side, especially for a newish computer. Check out this page (http://www.upgradesource.com/advice/advice061001.html) for some information on selecting the right size.

Megaman
14-04-2004, 10:45 AM
well its at cyclone computers now (i must say. excellent customer service) being fixed. but now i cant go on the net :'(. the only site i can go on freely is pressf1 (cos its a new zealand site and therefore can be accessed for free via teh library) however i need to send an email, and i cant use hotmail or yahoo mail because they are .com sites, and the yahoo nz site leads me to a .com.au site. can anyone tell me where to find a free webmail site that has a *.nz domain? clearnet webmail says i cant use it from behind a proxy, and nzoommail leads to a .com addy that isnt allowed.

Jester
14-04-2004, 12:15 PM
You still at the library , waiting, Megaman?????

Can you access the webmail of your ISP??

Megaman
15-04-2004, 10:28 AM
well at least i have a metro card (cheap bus fares) to bus to the library

at the libraries the clearnet webmail is blocked. it says the url cannot be proxied. nzoom mail refuses to go as well.

at least cyclone computers have great service. they found that the cd is not faulty, however it takes a while to load. so they are putting things in to find out what the bottleneck is. plus they are putting in an additional 256mb of ram for half of the price of other places.

ilikelinux
15-04-2004, 11:30 AM
>at the libraries the clearnet webmail is blocked. it says the url cannot be proxied. nzoom mail refuses to go as well.

you could always setup your mail on my server to chech your other mails...

Megaman
15-04-2004, 11:39 AM
yes. i know ill.no-ip.info is hosted in nz, however it dosent have a *.nz domain :_|

Susan B
15-04-2004, 12:11 PM
What about Orcon? Can you not access an Orcon email account from the library? I would have thought you could.... ?:|

Graham L
15-04-2004, 02:24 PM
The library's IT people are smarter than that, Susan. :-( You can access the Orcon web site, and people's web sites hosted by Orcon. For mail you have to use use the paid internet service. :D

Susan B
15-04-2004, 03:41 PM
Fair enough too, Graham.

It sometimes irks me that all and sundry have free access to the internet in our libraries. I have yet to find another town or city offering the same whenever I am on holiday - if they have internet services then they charge the same as internet cafes.

Free access for ratepayers in our fine city is fair but for everyone, including visitors.....? It seems a little unfair to me. :|

Megaman
15-04-2004, 06:29 PM
either way, we got our computer back

for $113 they replaced the cpu, and upgraded the ram to 384mb :D

but new problem. this (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/thesims.jpg) is what the sims superstar looks loke on our computer. it is all the sims expansion packs except making magic on

celeron 1.2ghz
384MB ram
52x cd rom
10gb h/d partition

The Sims Unleashed worked perfectly, and now upgrading to Superstar makes it go "unco" :(