PDA

View Full Version : Pressf1's own problems!!??

jareemon
13-04-2004, 11:42 AM
No offence, but i have, over time noticed various problems with pressf1... or is it just me? They are so obvious, and it looks to me like they are pretty easy to fix... is pressf1's webmaster on holiday or what? I thought for a while it may be a problem with my computer, maybe IE (6), UNTIL (yes the dreaded 'until') I payed Pressf1 a little visit on a friends computer and found exactly the same problems...How ironic: me and my friend have exactly the same problems that no one else does... hmmmm thats sounds a wittle fishy to me. Alas, After logging in on my computer to pressf1 under my friends pressf1 account, those problems suddenly dissapear... ooh the chilling coincidence (??). so by now you are wondering 'what exactly are these problems???'
Well heres 2 of them...
1. My password seems to get 'forgotten' mysteriously by pressf1, meaning i am constantly having to reset my password all thetime which pains me because the new password prompt is not masked!!!
2. Every time i log in to pressf1, and i mean every time, it logs me in then takes me straight back to the login page as if i werent logged in... i can tell i am logged in because the buttons at the top of the page are there (ie. log out, post new topic, my settings, etc) How can anyone log in when someone is already logged in??
So someone please tell me... is it a problem with my account, a problem with my computer, or just one hell of a coincedence???
I dont mean pressf1 any offence.... i just want peace with the browser :p

beetle
13-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Hi ya, and welcome.

I dont have this problem, mine is on auto log on and i log inwhen i click on the page icon short cut, also PF1 is my home page so it goes straight there every time i start up internet browser, with Mozilla, opens for me logged in every time.
i never log out.

is your option auto logged ticked?

i have no other ideas about this but sometimes cookies stuff these things up too.

beetle

jareemon
13-04-2004, 01:14 PM
yay it worked!
Thx :d

PoWa
13-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Yeah beetles on the right track. Check your cookie settings, becuase the login process does use them.

beetle
13-04-2004, 01:30 PM
:8}

i did something right....Wow must be a first....

thanxs PoWa.

beetle

Biggles
13-04-2004, 01:42 PM
See, it aint broke. Well, that bit aint ....

beetle
13-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Of course it's not broke BB, and you do a great job at PF1 keeping it running for all of us PF1 family people.

much appreciate all you do for us behind the scenes.

thanxs.

:D
beetle

Noel Nosivad
13-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Hey all,

I have the same problem with signing in too, I don't use auto login for the reason that my computers are shared and all cookies are cleaned up end of the day.

It just seems to be some type of timeout issue, where the cookies are not lasting long enough or the login session isn't lasting long enough, especially when writing long posts ... well to cut things short incase it does it to me I have to stop here.

Noel Nosivad.

Graham L
13-04-2004, 04:08 PM
The life of cookies is determined at the user end. It's not controlled by the PF1 site.

The session loss while composing postings is almost certainly a proxy problem... Again, that's at the user end.

Billy T
13-04-2004, 04:23 PM
> It just seems to be some type of timeout issue, where
> the cookies are not lasting long enough or the login
> session isn't lasting long enough, especially when
> writing long posts ... well to cut things short
> incase it does it to me I have to stop here.

Compose in notepad Noel, then paste into PF1.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Orion
13-04-2004, 05:30 PM
> Compose in notepad Noel, then paste into PF1.

Edit: Compose in notepad Noel, then paste into PF1 making sure Word-Wrap is off.

;)

Jim B
13-04-2004, 05:51 PM
> The life of cookies is determined at the user end.
> It's not controlled by the PF1 site.

Would be interested to know how it is determined at the user end.
All secure sites set the timeout to suit their individual circumstances do they not.

agent
13-04-2004, 08:35 PM
> All secure sites set the timeout to suit their individual circumstances do they not

PressF1 does not use SSL to login, so it would be exempt from the timeout being caused by a secure site. However, as with most server-side scripts, a "session" cookie is usually stored on a clients computer so the server can track what the user is doing. In ASP, the default length for a session is 20 minutes; I don't know about JSP, nor the configuration of the scripts that PF1 uses, but perhaps the error lies here. Note that in some forums, if you do not use auto-login, you can specify the length of your session before it is timed out (Hotmail can do this too).

The other issue this person is having, I suspect, would be the use of a redirect function. When you go to the login page, it keeps a referrer, so it knows what page you came from. Upon logging in, it redirects you back to that page for a matter of convenience. If, however, you go straight to /login.jsp and login, it will only reload the login page (the user having been logged in successfully, of course). Someone could play around with referrals from external sites if they felt naughty, just to see what would happen...