PDA

View Full Version : Broadband on TV

boing
12-04-2004, 12:03 PM
I am a control freak. I want to have broadband on my TV at home (on a separate channel) with wireless keyboard and mouse on the coffee table... do I have to get another PC to sit with my DVD/VCR etc? could I use my other PC and girlfriends Mac on some sort of wireless network also?(without radiating the family) Surely other people want this kind of stuff in their homes? any help would be appreciated

Megaman
12-04-2004, 12:50 PM
welcome to pressf1 :)

yes its possible. you get a pc with s-video out on the graphics card, and hook it up to the tv. then you could get it on a wireless network. if you choose wireless, it depends on the mac which standard you use. "airport" is 802.11b, while "airport extreme" is 802.11g

Chemical Ali
12-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Hey mate

Been experienting with much the same myself -- but incorporating a digital music jukebox, DVD/MPEG viewing and web surfing on TV in the lounge. What I did was build a seperate PC which sat in the lounge hooked up to TV (and had a small ratty monitor) through which I played DVDs/MPEGs/JPEGs/DivX and audio files to varying degrees of success.
Essentially it was a Hom Entertainment PC (HEPC).
The real problem with running Windows Desktop and therefore a Web Browser on the TV was image quality -- in short it was crap!!
Very fuzzy and poor quality all round -- however I have been meaning to experiment with a program called Powerstrip (I think!) that can work with your graphics card to dramatically improve resolution on TV.
Otherwise you can buy a product called Showcenter (from Pinnacle) that acts as a digital media receiver/hub and can broadcast to your TV via your home network. Apparently it has a "hidden" web browser function of limited application included in it. Check out Ascent's website (http://www.ascent.co.nz) for details of it.
Additionally I have oodles of articles. bookmarked websites I could supply you with if you were interested as well as details of hardware I used -- stymied in my efforts with an HEPC at the moment as my 2 year old daughter 'smoked' my HEPC's motherboard last week!! But is something I'm very interested in and have promoted discussion on this forum before regarding it -- just search under my old posts and I'm sure you'll find it.

boing
12-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Thank you for your help!!