PDA

View Full Version : GPU and CPU HSF Reaplication queries

hamstar
11-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Y'know how I posted that my GPU HSF was dying last week?

Well I'm gonna buy a new vga cooler from dse but how different is GPU heatsink application to a CPU one? Does a GPU have a die? Do I need to take the same care removing the old HSF? Do I need to use thermal grease?

Also. Now that I have put my processor on that faulty motherboard I'm going to have to take it off again...

Where do I get the heatsink compund from? Is it better to use goop or thermal paste than it is to use compound?

Cheers.
.Hamstar

PoWa
11-04-2004, 11:53 PM
> Where do I get the heatsink compund from? Is it better to use goop or thermal paste than it is to use compound?

Arctic Silver 3 is supposed to be the "rolls royce" of thermal compound/paste. Order some from ascent or similiar.

the highlander
12-04-2004, 09:38 PM
I remember Dan's Data doing a test on various top of the range thermal compounds and he found that toothpaste had roughly the same results. (Not kidding) He did however point out that despite the advantages of the fresh minty flavour and obvious cheapness he had doubts over its longer term effectiveness.

hamstar
12-04-2004, 09:42 PM
But what of the GPU? Does it have a die? Does it need thermal paste?

And which is better? Thermal paste or thermal compound?

the highlander
12-04-2004, 10:26 PM
I think the dse vga cooler you're talking about comes with a sachet of thermal paste
Thermal paste and thermal compound
like vegemite and marmite different terms for basically the same stuff. (Though that will probably cause debate)
Go with a name brand if you like but applying a generic thermal paste/compound properly will suffice for anything but rampant overclockers.

hamstar
13-04-2004, 10:02 AM
sweet.

does the gpu have a die? its a GF4 MX440 btw...

agent_24
13-04-2004, 11:25 AM
well yea, basically - i think. it has the GeForce 4 main Chip that the fan is clipped over. (it think thats right)

hamstar
16-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Okay so do I just put the goop straight on the heatsink between it and the die? on both the cpu and the gpu?

hamstar
17-04-2004, 10:54 AM
2 other q's:

1. Can I clean my die(s) with meths?

2. If I use the silver compound, won't that conduct electricity from the die(s) to the heatsink?

I took my GPU HSF off last night. The GPU looks cool. I'll post a pic herelater for those of you who ain't seen one...

Cheers.
.chumba

hamstar
17-04-2004, 12:18 PM
>1. Can I clean my die(s) with meths?
Also the base of the heatinks with meths?

hello...

anyone out there?

Susan B
17-04-2004, 01:15 PM
I don't know whether meths would be safe to use or not but I would advise you to pop down to the chemist for some isopropyl alcohol to do the job.

PoWa
17-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Meths is quite safe to use just on the die and bottom of the heatsink.

Why are you wanting to replace the heatsink on the GPU? Why did you take it off in the first place?

ugh1
17-04-2004, 01:26 PM
> I don't know whether meths would be safe to use or
> not but I would advise you to pop down to the chemist
> for some isopropyl alcohol to do the job.

Beacuse of the big "P" problem at the moment it can be very tricky to by IPA from the chemist, or hardware store for that matter.

Better to go to DSE and buy a bottle of Video Head Cleaner (99% IPA) as there is not requirement for 6 forms of ID and a letter from GOD...

Susan B
17-04-2004, 01:32 PM
> Beacuse of the big "P" problem at the moment it can be very tricky to by IPA from the chemist, or hardware store for that matter.

Hmmm.... well Hamster had better flag that then. :D

hamstar
17-04-2004, 02:00 PM
I am replacing it because it went bung...

So meths is okay to use on just the die and the heatsink???

Also, can I use the silver thermal paste I got with the VGA cooler on my CPU?

hamstar
17-04-2004, 02:28 PM
>I am replacing it because it went bung...

>So meths is okay to use on just the die and the heatsink???

>Also, can I use the silver thermal paste I got with the VGA cooler on my CPU?

oh,the other thing was, the kit comes with 4 metal clip to hold the heatsink in place: 52mm, 54.8mm, 59mm, and 79.7mm, however the gap between plastic pinhole to plastic pinhole on my card (Eagle GF4 MX440) is 56mm.... should I take it back or just use the closest match?

the highlander
17-04-2004, 08:05 PM
If this is the dick smith vga cooler by the look of it, it seems to have spring tensioner retainers so there should be a degree of stretch available in the arms. Some sensible amount of force to lock it to the retaining holes on the card would probably be in order.
# Note
Sensible force, not the crowbar and clawhammer variety. If it isn't going to fit it isn't going to fit.
If in doubt take it back.