PDA

View Full Version : Just can't install norton antivirus 2004!!!

Kibito
11-04-2004, 05:00 PM
I don't know what it is. I don't know why it's happening really.

But I just can't install Norton Av2004. I had winxp pro and it didn't work on that. Now I'm back on 2000 pro and it STILL doesn't install!!! I just can't figure out what it is however I do know that some of my files are infected with the W32.Walla virus. It's like continually reinfecting my files and I'm suspecting thats a possible cause but I just don't understand why it won't let me install 2004.

Secondly, I can install 2003 fine but problem with 2003 is autoprotect won't turn on even when I check the box in the settings.... I'm sure these are all linked up some how and I'm going to do a full computer scan soon but I still don't have any idea on what the cause of this all is.

Thanks.

tweak\'e
11-04-2004, 06:18 PM
theres proberly left overs from 2003 that needs to be cleaned out. however if it didn't worked proberly i doubt 2004 will.

first thing is to fix your pc. no point trying to install stuff into a busted OS.

how do you know its the w32.walla virus? who's name is it (eg sysmantec, macfee etc) because a quick search didn't find any virus by that name.

Susan B
11-04-2004, 06:24 PM
If you think you have a virus on your computer go and do an online scan. One place to do so is at Housecall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/).

Kibito
11-04-2004, 06:43 PM
I would do an online scan but it'd take yonks.

I just did a norton 2003 scan full c: scan came up with 79 viruses. It said it repaired them all.

The virus norton said it had was:

W32.Valla.2048
The more details link came up with this page:
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/cgi-bin/virauto.cgi?vid=26876

I'm just about to trying installing norton 2004 again. Doubt I'll have luck but I dunno.

Billy T
11-04-2004, 06:51 PM
Doing an online scan will almost certainly be faster than trying to reinstall NAv several more times.

After you get the online scan done, you will also need to clear out all traces of the various NAV versions you have tried to install. Search your programs drive for any leftover folders or files with Symantec (or Norton)in them, then go to regedit and do the same thing.

Back up your registry first.

I think manual uninstallation instructions are available on Symantec's on-line help knowledgebase.

Doing it right will be faster and more reliable in the long run.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Kibito
11-04-2004, 06:57 PM
Cool thanks.

Couple things.

What do you mean by a manual installation?

And how do I do a rego backup? Course wouldn't rego backup be to protect me from like win screwing up and stuff eg not being able to get back into windows at which point what use would be a rego backup :D

Billy T
11-04-2004, 08:14 PM
A manual uninstallation means that you search for and delete any left-over Symantec or Norton files yourself after the uninstall program has finished its work.

I can't advise on Reg backup for XP as I don't use it. Search your XP help files and you will find the answer.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

JJJJJ
11-04-2004, 08:51 PM
I have just got over much the same problem that you have now.
I tried everything recommended in the Norton help files about a dozen times, but NAV would only partly install.
The only solution I could find was to delete everything on the hard drive and start again. This worked perfectly and NAV installed without a single glitch.
What I did was to run the XP setup disk and enter the recovery console. I entered "delete C: /Q". And then reinstalled everything.
Jack

Kibito
11-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Hmmm. So you're talking clean install.

Mind you I trashed Xp. 2000 Pro. Xps way too unstable and I had this problem last year as well from the same virus issue so yea. I've done a norton 2003 scan full c: and it's cleaned everything off so I guess its just backup + reload time.....

dipstick01
12-04-2004, 11:50 AM
If you are having the same problem with different OS's then I'm picking the problem is a bit more fundamental than that. I had a similair problem here with XP home and pro and it turned out to be my internal ADSL modem. It was booting at the same time and closing down Norton.
Check for any conflicts with software that may be starting at the same time. Also ensure you have removed ALL traces of previous versions of Nortons including any failed installs. Norton/Symantec have removal tools to do this for you and it does make a big difference.
You were saying you had a virus, when you installed 2000 did you do a complete format first or just install over the top?? Quite often a virus will reside in your system restore and just continue to reinfect. An online scan may take ages but will probably save you a lot of time in the long run me thinks. Seeing as you know what the virus is why not find a removal tool for it and run that also.

Kibito
12-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Heya.

Ok update here. I've done the trend micro online scan and it picked up 1 file as incfected and cleaned that.

Before that I did norton full scan and it cleaned 78 so I'm not sure how it missed the one file but anyway.

Norton said basically to remove that specific virus restart in safe mode, do a full scan and clean it all. I'm just gonna clean out the rego and try reinstall.

Kibito
12-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Heya.

Ok update here. I've done the trend micro online scan and it picked up 1 file as incfected and cleaned that.

Before that I did norton full scan and it cleaned 78 so I'm not sure how it missed the one file but anyway.

Norton said basically to remove that specific virus restart in safe mode, do a full scan and clean it all. I'm just gonna clean out the rego and try reinstall. Oh also can someone point me in the direction of the um norton removal tools. The ones Dipstick mentioned that like fully remove norton or whatever. I think I saw something like that but they were only instructions not like an actual app that cleans the reg and stuff. Course thats just what I assume it does.

dipstick01
12-04-2004, 07:15 PM
OK here (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=1#_Section1) is the link that will take you to the removal tool page. This is JUST for Norton AV2003 and will not clean 2004.