PDA

View Full Version : Do I need QuickTime?

Winston001
11-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Ok. I have now loaded some of the software which came with my Canon Powershot A 70.

Quicktime is available but do I need it?

Searching the subject veers between rapturous enthusiasm, and the view that it is a resource hog and not mainstream.

Furthermore, searching my HD finds Quicktime under Adobe. The only Adobe I think I have is Reader 6.0. When I try to open it, the message is:

...cannot open this file...what application etc..

File extension is .mpp

So do I have Quicktime already, or need it. Doesn't MediaPlayer do the job anyway?

Using XP Pro.

Cheers
Winston001

tweak\'e
11-04-2004, 01:28 PM
you will need quicktime to be able to play anything made with quickytime ( ie .MOV movies). if you really hate quicktime then there is "quicktime alternative". also some media players can play quicktime files IF quicktime is installed (but quicktime dosn't have to be in use).

also some other programs use quictime for certian xtra features.

metla
11-04-2004, 02:04 PM
definitly agree with what has already been said,Quicktime is a terrible piece of software.Quicktime alternative is much much much better.

Your camera probally takes movies in quicktime format.

Young Tom
11-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Do try quick time,if you no like delete the bugger.

metla
11-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Nice idea except it doesn't uninstall cleanly.

And when installed it insists on changing file associations, sticking in the start-up, jumping into the control panel, looking for non-existent media, overriding user settings, PLUS its an unstable resource hungry piece of crap.

Avoid it, QuickTime alternative was produced out of necessity.