PDA

View Full Version : OT: X-Box for Easter

miknz
10-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Got me an Xbox today and I have to say a vey big WOW. Graphics are incredible, project gotham 2 beats gt 3 by a country mile, I have only had about an hour on Halo and I'm hooked already.

I must say to anyone considering getting X-box, DONT WAIT!! get it now

Bill did a good job with this one

Cheers
Mike

P.S.
not wanting to start another xbox versus P.S. war

Lohsing
11-04-2004, 12:28 AM
> I must say to anyone considering getting X-box, DONT
> WAIT!! get it now

And you haven't even got it modded yet... that's when the fun really starts! ;)

Lo.

Growly
11-04-2004, 07:23 PM
*Doesn't have any console past PSX*

Yes, modding it is fun! I can't wait to pretend to mod one!

(no but seriously, modding it is fun!)

Gods-Hitman
11-04-2004, 08:26 PM
xecuter 2.3b :D

miknz
12-04-2004, 09:46 AM
actually Growly I have a N64 and had a loan of a ps2 for a couple of months not long ago. I feel that the load times(virtually nil), sound, graphics and no need for memory cards make X-Box the best console at the moment. Like I said before I dont want to start big versus war I was meerly stating my opinion.
And why would I want to Modchip my xbox? Apart from being able to play illegally copied games??

Mik

Chilling_Silence
12-04-2004, 08:29 PM
> And why would I want to Modchip my xbox? Apart from
> being able to play illegally copied games??

Region-Free DVD's.. X-box Linux... XBMC/XMBP... And that's just some of the common stuff!

Chill.

S.D.
13-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Im looking at getting my xbox modded.
I was browsing local xbox modders when I came across this site.
http://www.xboxtreme.co.nz/aboutmods.html
Is this for real ?
No mod chip just flash the bios ?

zqwerty
13-04-2004, 09:20 PM
I drove the first Gotham City or whatever it was for about an hour in a Dick Smith store and that was enough to persuade me that I did not want an Xbox. The game was lame, the driving dynamics were like a kids game. Check out GT4 when it arrives if you want to see a real driving simulator. The Xbox handset is a joke with very, very,very poor ergonomics. Halo looks quite good although I will wait until it is out on PS2 before playing it.

Sorry NO to Xbox. Ugly as well. The hardware, on paper, is better than PS2 but the overall result doesn't tempt me. The games on PS2 are more varied and there is more of them.

Lohsing
13-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Halo isn't coming to PS2 ... and I feel sorry for you that Gotham City was the first game you played on the X-Box.

Lo.

zminos
13-04-2004, 09:26 PM
sorry... halo will never make it to the ps2 end of story... well as far as I know the ps2 just isn't able to run halo.

Apart from the fact M$ owns Bungie... why would they let one of the top games get a port to the ps2?

:)

metla
13-04-2004, 10:18 PM
If GT4 is built on the standards as set by prior games in the series then it will be no more of a sim then gotham racing, Consoles just donít have the grunt to run a detailed physics engine with its thousands of variables and display nice graphics at the same time(without even mentioning damage effects or AI)

Chilling_Silence
14-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Project Gotham sucks.....

And no, you do need a mod-chip. You cannot flash the MS Bios.

You can however install Linux without a Mod-chip if that's you aim ;-)

I cant wait for Halo 2, its going to kick ass!

Chill.

Orion
14-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Hey with these mod chips, does the Xbox still password protect any new hard drives you put in it?

miknz
14-04-2004, 02:14 PM
havent played project gotham 1 so cant comment there but part 2 is great. Excellant graphics and car models are great, you can feel the difference in front and rear wheel drive cars all have a different driving style. I am wrapped with it!

I am a first time Halo player and found it a little dull to start part now that I am off the ship and onto the planet it is great, will spend some more time on it tonight and hopefully get a bit further.
cheers
X-Box rox
Mike

Lohsing
14-04-2004, 02:14 PM
You can leave it locked or unlocked... up to you.

Lo.

Chilling_Silence
14-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Password protecting the XBox is cool... Having to put in the right code on the controller before it loads the dash is a cool feature Ive been meaning to look into.

Miknz>
Hang in there.. Get off the ship and onto the planet below and you'll be hooked. Get a friend to play too, two heads are better than one :-)

Chill.

zqwerty
14-04-2004, 04:13 PM
If GT4 is built on the standards as set by prior games in the series then it will be no more of a sim then gotham racing, Consoles just donít have the grunt to run a detailed physics engine with its thousands of variables and display nice graphics at the same time(without even mentioning damage effects or AI)

The above is not correct.

Even on PS1 it was quite obvious what type of car you were driving, ie FF,FR,MR, also individual cars were quite different from each other and could be drastically changed by your user adjustable settings. GT3 and Concept on the PS2 took this ability a lot further and a dog car could be made into a dancing sprite of a vehicle with sufficient time and knowledge. I drove in a New Zealand wide championship event to find the fastest time round a particular track and I do not consider myself to be fooling myself, I am an expert at tuning cars in the Gran Turismo games. If you really feel that the acknowledged world leader in driving sims does not run well on the PS2 with real driving excitement then you are uninformed or you have not played the games long enough to make a good judgement.

The reason I feel strongly about this is that there are so few games that come up to my high standards and hearing this discussed in a way that may put people off from trying Gran Turismo on the PlayStation thus causing them to miss one of the things that I consider to be the highlights of my life. That is, playing each of the games in the series from beginning to end and basically doing everything and achieving all the licences at Gold Level, if possible. Gaining experience to the point where all you have to do is drive any other game for a few minutes to know whether or not you are going to get the rewards available in the GT series.

Seriously, this game (Gran Turismo I,II,III,) was a major part of my life for about two years and I am so disappointed that I can find no other driving game to match it, and that is because it is better by far, and this is acknowledged to be so by anyone who knows their stuff when it comes to driving games in general. A lot of people just go back and play the games again once they realize there is nothing else on the market that comes up to the standard.

When GT4 comes out it is going to have online capability and I can't wait to challenge people to a race. Anytime anyone who considers that they have learned enough from playing any of the other racing games, and are able to present a reasonable race challenge, I would love to hear from them, and if you beat me then have a try against my nephew, I doubt that many people can drive at his standard.

All in fun, but I mean it, this is a serious masterpiece of gaming software and I hate to think that there are people around who can get it so wrong, and cause others to miss out on a great experience.

Regards Robert Worrill

antmannz
14-04-2004, 04:21 PM
The fact that GT was a major part of your life for 2 years is a wee bit sad. But anyway, whenever I've had the opportunity to use a PS I always get extremely frustrated at the amount of time one has to sit there waiting for the thing to load graphics that are akin to old DOS VGA games.

Being based on a PC, Xbox is far advanced with its capability to model in 3D; therefore graphics are going to be better. I was telling people years ago not to buy PS2, but to wait for Xbox.

robert6655
14-04-2004, 05:27 PM
i got frustrated with both ps2 and xbox so i went to a gamecube, great graphics, awesome controller,awesome games, and virtually 0 load time

metla
14-04-2004, 06:03 PM
> If GT4 is built on the standards as set by prior
> games in the series then it will be no more of a sim
> then gotham racing, Consoles just donít have the
> grunt to run a detailed physics engine with its
> thousands of variables and display nice graphics at
> the same time(without even mentioning damage effects
> or AI)
>
>
> The above is not correct.
>
> Even on PS1 it was quite obvious what type of car you
> were driving, ie FF,FR,MR, also individual cars were
> quite different from each other and could be
> drastically changed by your user adjustable settings.
> GT3 and Concept on the PS2 took this ability a lot
> further and a dog car could be made into a dancing
> sprite of a vehicle with sufficient time and
> knowledge. I drove in a New Zealand wide
> championship event to find the fastest time round a
> particular track and I do not consider myself to be
> fooling myself, I am an expert at tuning cars in the
> Gran Turismo games. If you really feel that the
> acknowledged world leader in driving sims does not
> run well on the PS2 with real driving excitement
> then you are uninformed or you have not played the
> games long enough to make a good judgement.
>
> The reason I feel strongly about this is that there
> are so few games that come up to my high standards
> and hearing this discussed in a way that may put
> people off from trying Gran Turismo on the
> PlayStation thus causing them to miss one of the
> things that I consider to be the highlights of my
> life. That is, playing each of the games in the
> series from beginning to end and basically doing
> everything and achieving all the licences at Gold
> Level, if possible. Gaining experience to the point
> where all you have to do is drive any other game for
> a few minutes to know whether or not you are going to
> get the rewards available in the GT series.
>
> Seriously, this game (Gran Turismo I,II,III,) was a
> major part of my life for about two years and I am so
> disappointed that I can find no other driving game to
> match it, and that is because it is better by far,
> and this is acknowledged to be so by anyone who knows
> their stuff when it comes to driving games in
> general. A lot of people just go back and play the
> games again once they realize there is nothing else
> on the market that comes up to the standard.
>
> When GT4 comes out it is going to have online
> capability and I can't wait to challenge people to a
> race. Anytime anyone who considers that they have
> learned enough from playing any of the other racing
> games, and are able to present a reasonable race
> challenge, I would love to hear from them, and if you
> beat me then have a try against my nephew, I doubt
> that many people can drive at his standard.
>
> All in fun, but I mean it, this is a serious
> masterpiece of gaming software and I hate to think
> that there are people around who can get it so wrong,
> and cause others to miss out on a great experience.
>
> Regards Robert Worrill

Oh my,that is the funnist post i have ever read.

The GT series is a simplistic arcade game,held back by the limitations of the hardware and a basic physics engine,the fact they they encoded varibles into the physics engine does not make it a sim.

If you can play it with a gamepad then it aint a sim.

If you can do a decent lap within 10 minutes of trying the game for the first time then it aint a sim.

If you can get anywhere near real-world laptimes within 2 months of playing the game then it aint no sim.

Simplistic maybe but not a simulation.

If you need your eyes opened up just a little more try paying a visit to

http://www.racesimcentral.com/

Then buy yourself a forcefeedback wheel,and a couple of the games for PC and welcome to the world of racing simulations.

Or stay in arcade land.

zqwerty
15-04-2004, 12:57 AM
CPU: 128 Bit "Emotion Engine"
System Clock: 300 MHz
System Memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus
Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2 GB per second
Co-Processor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 1, Floating Point Divider x 1)
Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 9, Floating Point Divider x 1)
Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS
3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 million Polygons Per Second
Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG2

Graphics: "Graphics Synthesizer"
Clock Frequency: 150MHz
DRAM Bus bandwidth: 48 GB Per Second
DRAM Bus width: 2560 bits
Pixel Configuration: RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8:32)
Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 Million Polygons Per Second

So there are the specs for the PS2. Three years ago it was said that it was equivalent to about an 800mHz Pentium but because it was optimised for graphics it actually performed better than that, with plenty of processing power left over to do thousands of calculations a second to simulate, for instance, the dynamics of a car going round a corner. Notice also that it is a 128bit CPU. I read a number of reviews on the machine which led me to believe that it was up to the task of doing what it is said to be doing in GT3 for example. At the time it was said that the floating point performance was as good as anything around at 6.2 GFLOPS. With the cars exibiting torque twisting as well as nose up on acceleration and nose down on braking (varying depending on how much you brake or accelerate) I feel that it does as much as it needs to to persuade me and plenty of others that it is a superior game. Take a look at someone who knows what they are doing driving Monte Carlo if you need anymore persuasion.

Regards Robert.

segfault
15-04-2004, 12:58 AM
> The GT series is a simplistic arcade game,held back
> by the limitations of the hardware and a basic
> physics engine,the fact they they encoded varibles
> into the physics engine does not make it a sim.

You might like to take a look at the GT4 preview on Jetstreamgames. It kicks the rear of any racing sim I've seen yet.

zqwerty
15-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Further to my last post, here is a little on the dedicated guy who is the driving force behind the Gran Turismo series:

So what you got Planned Kazunori Yamauchi? **Exclusive First News**

In Tokyo's Toyota Living Room (I assume at a Motorshow? Gaming Press Conference) Kazunori gave the Following Information:

-Many Improvements were realised from GT3, however many of our ideas couldn't come to life.
-In GT4 we will explore aspects of Simulation in the Series.
-Gameplay Methods are to be revised, including Game Methods.
-A Game Network for example will be a huge advance Consituting to the Game which we plan to work hard on.
-We will equally Implement this work in Vehicle Management.
-Though GT will advance a step further, we must take in to account the limitations of the Sony Machine.
-Whilst we had to reduce our extreme GT ambitions for GT3 we still used virtually all of the 4,7 GB of the DVD...

and here is the link:

http://www.geocities.com/alex_gt4/HomePageGT4.html

Regards Robert.

metla
15-04-2004, 01:05 AM
and which racing sims would they be?

I will be very surprised if they can implement a physics engine that can hold its own against the best pc sims,logic dictates that the PS2 simply doesn't have a tenth of the grunt needed to display good graphics,control the AI and take care of an advanced phyics engine.

The proof of the pudding shall be in the game of course,and im sure those looking foward to it won't be disapointed.

metla
15-04-2004, 01:06 AM
and which racing sims would they be?

I will be very surprised if they can implement a physics engine that can hold its own against the best pc sims,logic dictates that the PS2 simply doesn't have a tenth of the grunt needed to display good graphics,control the AI and take care of an advanced phyics engine.

The proof of the pudding shall be in the game of course,and im sure those looking foward to it won't be disapointed.

zqwerty
15-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Further to the above:

http://www.nz.playstation.com/network_gaming/

Regards Rob.

metla
15-04-2004, 01:11 AM
> CPU:
> CPU: 128
> CPU: 128 Bit
> CPU: 128 Bit "Emotion Engine"
> System Clock: 300 MHz
> System Memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus
> Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2 GB per second
> Co-Processor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply
> Accumulator x 1, Floating Point Divider x 1)
> Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply
> Accumulator x 9, Floating Point Divider x 1)
> Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS
> 3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 million Polygons
> Per Second
> Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG2
>
> Graphics: "Graphics Synthesizer"
> Clock Frequency: 150MHz
> DRAM Bus bandwidth: 48 GB Per Second
> DRAM Bus width: 2560 bits
> Pixel Configuration: RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8:32)
> Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 Million Polygons Per Second
>
>
> So there are the specs for the PS2. Three years ago
> it was said that it was equivalent to about an 800mHz
> Pentium but because it was optimised for graphics it
> actually performed better than that, with plenty of
> processing power left over to do thousands of
> calculations a second to simulate, for instance, the
> dynamics of a car going round a corner. Notice also
> that it is a 128bit CPU. I read a number of reviews
> on the machine which led me to believe that it was up
> to the task of doing what it is said to be doing in
> GT3 for example. At the time it was said that the
> floating point performance was as good as anything
> around at 6.2 GFLOPS. With the cars exibiting torque
> twisting as well as nose up on acceleration and nose
> down on braking (varying depending on how much you
> brake or accelerate) I feel that it does as much as
> it needs to to persuade me and plenty of others that
> it is a superior game. Take a look at someone who
> knows what they are doing driving Monte Carlo if you
> need anymore persuasion.
>
> Regards Robert.

Heh?

ps2 was underpowered when it was released ,its output was/is crap when compared to a p3 800 with a gf3.Thats why you have low res textures,output and limited number of ai openents,lack of crunch.

Still,if you want to repeat company fluff then so be it,my opinion of the game should have no bearing on your enjoyment of it.

I'll still take something less arcadish for my gameing pleasure.

zqwerty
15-04-2004, 01:14 AM
Go here for the latest:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/driving/granturismo4/index.html

Regards Robert.

zqwerty
15-04-2004, 01:26 AM
Just checked out your homepage metla, perhaps you know more than I do. If so maybe you can tell me why it is that the only thing I can't do on my computer is log into my ICQ mail. I have checked cookies, hosts file and domain. Works perfectly from my work computer but I can't get in from home computer with either o/s, Win98SE or Win2k. Can you suggest anything I could try? All other email sites are fine (I have 4 others). Tried using Mozilla, Firefox, IE6SP1, One by 1, browsers but won't work.

Help. Regards Rob.

metla
15-04-2004, 01:37 AM
Sorry,i have no idea about icq mail,didn't even know they ran a mail service.

Only advice i can give is to visit the site in question and look up either a faq or maybe a dedicated help forum.

My other bit of advice seeing as you have such a love for driving sims is to grab EA's f1 Challenge game for the pc (and a wheel, canít drive these Sims with anything less) there is a multitude of mods for the game that take it up to a level unbelievable to someone who hasn't experienced them.

Visually and physics wise.

zqwerty
15-04-2004, 01:54 AM
No, it is something wrong with my computer which normally works fine, that is causing me not to be able to log in, but is quite an old one and would not be able to play any PC games as it is only PentiumPro 200s. Somehow it will not log onto the site and I have run out of places in the o/s to look for prohibited sites and thought you might know of more than the ones I mentioned before.

I do not like driving with a steering wheel and I use both sticks on analogue on the PS2, one for steering and the other for accel. I like to relax back and enjoy the challenge, and I do not like the effort one has to put into driving with your shoulders with a wheel.

Regards Rob.

metla
15-04-2004, 02:04 AM
well,it seems strange that you can't log in with either OS,perhaps make a thread and maybe someone who has dealt with this particuler issue will see it.

zqwerty
15-04-2004, 02:10 AM
What o/s are you running?

Rob.

metla
15-04-2004, 02:13 AM
what os am i running?

2 machines with xp home,one with xp pro,one machine with win2000,another machine dual booting with win98 and xp.

For my main use i stick to xp pro.

zqwerty
15-04-2004, 02:16 AM
Would you like to help, how long are you going to be up tonight?

Rob