PDA

View Full Version : Speakers interfere with new monitor

Gill
10-04-2004, 06:08 PM
Hi
Wondered if anyone has got solutions for a noisy monitor?
Got a new 15" LCD monitor and it makes a static type noise only when the speakers are turned on. Like to have the speakers on all the time (obviously) so wondering if there was nay way of minimising the interaction.
Will move the speakers away if I have to but prefer that they line up alongside the monitor.
Thanks in advance

beama
10-04-2004, 11:02 PM
I have seen speakers interfere with monitors before vdu type because of the magnetic fields the speakers generate my suggestion would be to move the speaker away from the screen and see if that made a difference

godfather
10-04-2004, 11:17 PM
More info needed.

What type of speakers?
Amplified or not?
If Amplified then the line from the computer to the speakers will be susceptable to interference from the video cable and mouse cable.

The LCD monitor will actually give very low interference output, unlike a CRT type.

Keep the cables well segregated

Gill
11-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Speaker type - not sure - just cheap $20 sort, Brand name "Brocom" - Multimedia Speaker System.

ilikelinux
11-04-2004, 12:06 PM
it sounds like it is a problem with the speakers, because when i recieve a txt message through my phone, my speakers interfere with it, and the speakers make some strange noise.

Have you got any spear speakers you can try?

Billy T
11-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Actually GF, although ELF emissions are very low, LCD screens have surprisingly high emissions in the VLF band, emanating presumably from the driver circuits for the screen. The source is usually localised at the top right of the bezel, but can be anywhere around the screen circumference, and probably is on cheaper monitors.

In this case if the speaker leads are anywhere near the emission source there will definitely be an injection of "hashy" sounding noise.

The advice to separate speakers and screen is sound, though I would first try moving the one with the power cord to the other side of the screen as that may be all that is needed to get rid of the noise (presuming that if the amp is integrated with the speaker, it will get it away from the interference).

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
11-04-2004, 01:16 PM
> Got a new 15" LCD monitor and it makes a static type
> noise only when the speakers are turned on.

Just reading your post again, I begin to wonder.?:|

Are the speakers interfering with the monitor, or the other way around Gill?

The monitor can't make any noise unless it has built-in speakers so perhaps some clarification might help here.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Gill
12-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Actually the monitor does have built in speakers - But the computer also has small speakers plugged in. They are placed either side of the new monitor.
Funny but I can't get it to duplicate the sound now.....it used to be when the speakers (seperate to the Monitor) were turned on then I got an interfernce noise coming through the monitor. I suppose it was coming through the monitor inbuilt speakers!
But right now - everything is silent no matter if they are turned off or on!!
Not sure what the change has been - haven't moved them or anything!
Hmm - no problem now!
Thanks for your help

metla
12-04-2004, 07:47 PM
space time continuum

In other words the universe found its balance

(cue twilight zone music from other thread)

PoWa
12-04-2004, 08:25 PM
> (cue twilight zone music from other thread)

LOL

agent_24
12-04-2004, 08:27 PM
> The monitor can't make any noise

umm, no. sorry - if the monitor is broken it can make all sorts of noises - i had one that whistled at me - others crackle, pop, hum, buzz and sometimes go bang.

Billy T
13-04-2004, 02:10 AM
I think you missed the point in that post agent, we were discussing noises emanating from speakers. We know that other effects within a monitor can generate audible sounds, but that is not quite the same thing.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)