PDA

View Full Version : USB CD Writers

Tobas
10-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Have just spend some time looking for the above item, but found only one at a huge (500+) dollar level :-)

Anyone know who I might try?

tweak\'e
10-04-2004, 01:09 PM
found some at just under ~$250 however its not a brand i would recommend.

tweak\'e
10-04-2004, 01:16 PM
have a look here (http://www.bluechipit.co.nz/cair/prod6.asp?manufac=&CAT=1500&GRP=Optical+Drives+CDRW) (you will need to sign on as guest)

also this (http://www.bluechipit.co.nz/cair/Product_Details2.asp?PartNumber=AO71750).

Graham L
10-04-2004, 01:51 PM
That price looks a bit better. ;-) There are boxes with USB interface for IDE hard disks, and I suppose you could put a CD in a one of those , but software might be a problem. The price would work out the same as the made up thing. (Takes the fun out of doing it yourself to get something cheaper). :-(

Tobas
10-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the info Tweak'e, obviously parallel and com are just simply not the way to go :-)

Graham L Thanks also. Bit of background. I have a Laptop whose HDD looks and sounds like dying. I'm looking for a way to backup the HDD.

My desktop has a CD Writer and USB 1.1 the laptop has USB 1.1 also.
Might it be possible to hook the two machines up via the USB ports and use the desktop cd writer to make the backup? I would use either M/soft backup or possibly Ghost 2003.

I am reluctant to purchase a CD writer as we, as a family simply do not make any CD's, so a once off purchase is hardly viable

Clutching a straws I know but........

I had also considered obtaining the pinout data for an IDE cable, the pinout data for a USB cable, to see if some sort of interface could be possible. Oh well, and I overlooked the software requirements :-(

Graham L
10-04-2004, 03:26 PM
USB and IDE can't talk directly. ;-)

You can buy a USB file transfer cable (it's a cable with a box in the middle, with logic). That's about $60-70.

You can get a "null modem" cable to connect the serial ports. Quite a bit cheaper. MS provide the software ("DCC")

If you have modems in both machines, you might be able to connect them directly and transfer files that way. That would require both modems being able to select the "leased line" mode. (The &L0 and &L1 Hayes commands are the ones to select dialup and leased line). Some manufactureres have this; some don't.

I assume you haven't got Ethernet in both. That's the nicest way.

If you are planning on replacing the disk on the laptop, the shop you are buying the new drive from might be prepared to image copy the content to the new drive.

tommy
10-04-2004, 04:01 PM
If you have no ethernet cards to network your two computers probably the best way to transfer your data is by Direct Cable Connection. Information on how to do this is available from this site. (http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/dccmain.htm) It will be slow but at least you will get the job done. I would not rely on a computer shop replacing your hard drive to backup all of your data. Some have been known to exclude such data as email backups, etc and this is often discovered too late after the job has been done.

tweak\'e
10-04-2004, 04:45 PM
i would get a cd writer for the desktop pc and either network cards for tha laptop and destops or usb transfer cable. serial/null modem cables is extreamly slow.

Tobas
10-04-2004, 07:39 PM
The help I have received is greatly appreciated. Bit of a learning curve for me, swamped with all this info :-)

OK'dokey, the laptop (Toshi Satellite Pro 4320) has a Xircom Realport 10/100 ethernet card installed.

The desktop has a Samsung 52:24:52 CD writer installed.

My reading of the mail would say I need an ethernet card for the desktop and a cable to connect both machines.

Dick Smith have a couple of PCI 10/100Mbps cards, is there any particular features I should look for ?

What is the name of the cable I need to purchase ? I need this info as we are around 80 Km away from DSE Whangarei, so one trip would be the way to go.

I will worry about how to actually effect the data transfer once the PCI card and cable are installed.

Oh shivers, I have just thought of something else - the laptop has a NTFS file system, the desktop has FAT32, is that going to be a problem?

tweak\'e
10-04-2004, 07:52 PM
simply get a 10/100 pci card and a crossover lan cable.

for setup look here (http://www.wown.com/).

no the different file systems will not be a problem.

beama
10-04-2004, 09:55 PM
from A question that i asked on usb networking, reply given by godfather

Jaycar have the cables.
STOCK-CODE: XC4845

Support Windows 98 - 2000 and an XP driver is available for download

may this will solve the problem no network cards needed just usb ports