PDA

View Full Version : Jet Stream - Advice

taxboy4
10-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Hi

I currently have the 1G full speed plan (thru paradise) and regularly pay $40-80 more a month by bursting the paltry 1000MB cap.

I've been lokking at some of the other plans but my ignorance of some of the terms is hampering me making a comparison.

At the moment I get a 600kbs plan with paradise which i can get download speeds of 50 to 200K per second - which is fine.

I see Telecom offer other jetstream plans of flat rate at 256kbs which i download for Africa.

At 256kbs what sort of download speeds (in K per second) could i look forward to and would it be sufficeint to play online games?

Cheers

Baz

Shaun Minfie
10-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Hey there,

I'm on the 256/k - 10 gig plan. I get up to 32K a sec download speed. Remeber its only 128/k upload.

As for games. It will not make any diff at all. Your speed is independant from your latency (ping)

tweak\'e
10-04-2004, 02:03 PM
>what sort of download speeds (in K per second)

no such thing as k per second. its either kb/s (kilo bits per second) or kB/s (kilo bytes per second).

general rule of thumb is to devide the kb/s by 10. eg 56kb/s modem gives you 5.6kB/s (there are 8 bits to a byte + a bit for overheads). 256kb/s gives you 25.6kB/s not including compression which varies depending on what you are downloading.

Growly
10-04-2004, 04:44 PM
> As for games. It will not make any diff at all. Your
> speed is independant from your latency (ping)

That's not entirely true.

Shaun Minfie
10-04-2004, 05:21 PM
> > As for games. It will not make any diff at all.
> Your
> > speed is independant from your latency (ping)
>
> That's not entirely true.
>

Can You be more specific?

I changed from jetstart 128 this week and my in game ping has not changed one little bit. Of course I can set the games to use more bandwidth now but that will still not change the latency.

tweak\'e
10-04-2004, 05:48 PM
depends on the games.

some games benifit from having a much larger bandwidth to use. think of it as "data transfer time" rather than "ping time" if you have large amount of data to transfer a higher bandwidth broadband will send it faster.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
10-04-2004, 06:55 PM
> general rule of thumb is to devide the kb/s by 10. eg
> 56kb/s modem gives you 5.6kB/s (there are 8 bits to a
> byte + a bit for overheads). 256kb/s gives you
> 25.6kB/s not including compression which varies
> depending on what you are downloading.

I actually thought it was divide by eight
56kb/s modem gives 7kB/s max
128kb/s gives 16kB/s max
256kb/s gives 32kB/s max

Sounds more right to me ;-) I'm on Jetstream Surf, finding the speech to be actually faster than 256kb/s as speed 'testers' have shown. I've had download usually at 33kB/s

Good luck ;-)

tweak\'e
10-04-2004, 08:42 PM
>I actually thought it was divide by eight

which bit of "there are 8 bits to a byte + a bit for overheads" and "general rule of thumb" didn't you get :p :p ;-)

falvrez
11-04-2004, 09:56 AM
At work we are on Jetstream "full" and I know this sounds unbelievable but I regularly download at 300-400KB/s (yes kilo-bytes!)...makes for awesome downloads.
I have many complaints about Jetstream "full" (the unreliable meter is the main one) but speed ain't a problem...