PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: HTOTW#14 Totally Politically Incorrect Hot Tunes

Terry Porritt
09-04-2004, 08:40 PM
We are going to have a bit of tongue-in-cheek fun this HTOTW, and really get up the nose of those are exceedingly politically correct. Oh joy.

In the UK, years ago, these sort of people were "trendy lefty, graduated from the London School of Economics" types, not that I'm right wing , far from it :)

In reality I hate PC, I have no time for it or those that practise it, so can't resist being deliberately outrageous and totally non-PC. We are bringing up a whole generation of wimps who darent call a spade a spade or even a wog a wog.
One young Chinese on this forum complained about me being racist because I exclaimed "Ying tong iddle I po!"

Lunatics who have sanitized Noddy and Big Ears in case other peoples kiddies grow up not conforming to the PC Thought Police rules etc, are just one group I have no time for.

Then we have women who dress skimpily with their all showing plainly, then complain when they get ogled, or bleat about sexual harassment.
So men have to feign they haven't noticed or feign indifference.
All part of a devilish 'feminist' plot to emasculate and control :)

There is an emerging group, usually female , who are trying to establish a new kind of political correctness and force it upon everyone else. These are those who are obese.
This group object to being pointed out as obese, being the butt of jokes, being criticised or 'blamed' for being fat, object to obesity being refered to as abnormal or undesirable, object for example, to public seats in parks, cinemas, planes, in fact seats anywhere, being sized for average people, and demand that extra large seats be provided for them (at someone elses expense of course), and form associations of like minded people in order to make themselves feel good about being obese.

These people never accept that it is their own eating habits and/or lifestyle that makes them obese, it is somebody elses fault, or they blame it on their genes, anything but accept personal responsibility.
Incidently there were no fat people in concentration camps, which proves being fat is something that can be controlled and is not an act of God.

Fortunately there are plenty of health professionals pointing out that it is not good to be fat.

So what has all this to do with hot jazz and tunes from the 1920s?

Well there were an awful lot of non PC lyrics in the popular tunes of those days, relating to race, fatness, a womans place in the home, sex, and what have you, that would have the PC Thought Police rushing around in a frenzy today.

What is interesting is that these tunes were played or sung by both black and white bands, male and female vocalists, thin and fat, and they didnt appear to give one jot about being non PC, not that they would have known what that meant :)

One of my favorite bands of the 1920s is Ted Lewis and his Orchestra. Now Ted Lewis is regarded as 'corny' by some jazz purists, but I like him and he had some hot musicians in his orchestra including Benny Goodman, Muggsy Spannier and other well known names. He had a distinctive vocal sound to say the least, you will see what I mean :)

Lets have a dig at the obese, here's Ted singing about Egyptian Ella (http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/lewis/EgyptianElla.ram) enjoy.

This is the first verse:
Ella was a dancing girl who started getting fat
Every day saw three more pounds on Ella
Until one day she found she'd lost her job because of that
And to make it worse, she'd lost her fella
She took a trip to Egypt to forget
And she made such a hit that she's there yet ...

For the full lyrics go here (http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/dimtext/kjn/lyrics/egyptian.htm).

Another fruitful source for todays PC Thought Police would be all those tunes that talked about a womans place in the home. Years ago it was only the poorest women or widows that had to go out to work, take in washing, to make ends meet. The duty of most others was to provide a comfortable home, cook their mans' meals, have his pipe and slippers ready for him when he got home after a full day at the office, and generally service his needs whilst turning a blind eye to his bit on the side. Ah those were the days, and they did all that gratefully and joyfully :)

Only since 'feminists' spread subversion aided unwittingly by the New Right have women had to go out to work and pretend it is their birthright to do so :D

Ok, lets hear the music, here's my favourite female singer, Annette Hanshaw, joyfully doing her housework in 1929. When I'm Housekeeping For You" (http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/hanshaw/whenimhouse.ram)

Here's Lee Morse with her fruity voice in 1930, also looking after her man with Cooking Breakfast For The One I Love (http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/morse/cookingbreakfast.ram)
Here are the lyrics in full:

Written by: William Rose and Henry Tobias
from the musical "Be Yourself" (c. 1930)
[ Chorus: ]
Morning, I'll be getting up, Morning, I'll be setting up.
A tiny table for two.
Breakfast, I'll be making his breakfast,
He'll be taking his shave and his shower,
My happy hour

[ 1st verse: ]
The coffee is steaming,
Oh boy what I'm dreaming
While I'm cooking breakfast
For the one I love.
My baby likes bacon,
And that's what I'm making!
While I'm cooking breakfast
For the one I love.
Our life has been so nice and chummy
right from the start
When I won his tummy, I won his heart.
My baby is happy, oh boy am I happy
While I'm cooking breakfast for the one I love.

[ 2nd verse: ]
I'm baking a biscuit,
He's willing to risk it
He's wiping the dishes and he's breaking the dishes
I serve a plate of steaming oatmeal
Taste it but schucks!
Who the heck wants oatmeal,
sprinkled with "Lux?"
To show that he's grateful
He eats a big plateful and he
Faints right after breakfast
For the one he loves.

[Note, "Lux" refers to soap flakes, not to the NZ expression for "Hoovering" the floor. We ROFL'd when we first heard NZ'ers talking of 'luxing the floor.
This was presumably because Electrolux was the only make of vacuum cleaner on sale in those days, the same as circular saws are even now still called "Skil saws", you even see "For Sale, Black and Decker skill saw", or adjustable spanners called "Crescents" after the American Crescent Tool company despite that company making a host of tools other than only adjustable wrenches. :) ]

Fred Waring and his Pennsylvanians started out as a "Collegiate" band in 1918 at Pennsylvania State University. In the 1920s life seemed to revolve around college boys in racoon coats with a young flapper on his arm, at least that is what the music tells us, and much of this collegiate music was concerned about how to make it with a girl. ( I dont suppose the present young generation knows what a flapper or a racoon coat is. Flannagan and Allen wore racoon coats, "Flannagan and who? Oh well never mind.)
In the words of Cliff Edwards, better known as Ukelele Ike ( the voice of Jimminy Cricket in Disneys' Pinnochio), "If you can't land her on the old verandah, you wont land her at all". Hmm, nothing's changed :)

Here they are in 1925, singing about last night on the back porch, knickers, suspenders etc. It just wouldnt be allowed today would it?Collegiate (http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/waring/collegiate.ram)

To round off our look at politically incorrect tunes lets listen to Dusky Stevedore.
This was played by both black and white bands with gusto, and the lyrics are typical of the times portraying negros happy in their work "on that Swannee shore, working and singin a song......."
Lets first of all hear Frankie Trumbauer and Bix Beiderbecke in absolute top form in 1928, ENJOY (http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/tram/duskystv.ram), just listen to Bix driving this tune along.

Now for Louis Armstrongs' version of the tune equally good in its way, in 1933
pin back you ears (http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/Louie/lao/DuskyStevedore.ram) and hear Louis and his Orchestra give it the gun in Louis' inimitable flamboyant showmans way.

Susan B
09-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Geez Terry, I don't know who is the biggest stirrer, you or Big Bruvver Billy. :p :D

Hmmm... much as I would like to I am not game enough to post my thoughts in response to this post - too dodgy! ;-)

Terry Porritt
09-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Oh go on Susan, let's hear them. Then on second thoughts look how Paul Holmes (I personally cant stand him) was castigated for saying cheeky darky, not too different from Dusky Stevedore :)

donna
09-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Totally have to agree with you there ... totally hate the PC brigade. So found your post highly amusing!!!! Also being a Scot found it highly amusing when I heard the term 'luxing' but worse was to come with 'grouse' ....

Terry Porritt
09-04-2004, 11:23 PM
:) :) The grouse seem to have flown from New Zealand in recent years, havent heard much of them lately! Else they have transmogrified into COOL, see HTOTW#13.

andy
14-04-2004, 06:27 PM
I always thought that "luxing" was a pommie term (whoops, a bit non-pc there!) just like the term "Hoover", another well known brand of cleaner. I worked in a factory in Slough (just west of London) for a few years. One of my fellow sparkies was fixing a motor in the workshop one day. I asked what he was fixing and he replied "its a hoover motor". Having been an Electrolux service agent back home here, I replied that it looked like an Electrolux motor. "it is " he replied. "Hoover is just a nick name we use for vacuum cleaners over here. Its because, when you turn them on, they go hoooooooove!!!!."
Fair dinkum true story.

Terry Porritt
14-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Perhaps a good off topic posting would be to see how many verbs and adjectives are in use that have been made from brand names, like hoovering or luxing the floor.

Greg S
15-04-2004, 02:16 AM
Nice one Terry ;)

Can't think offhand of many terms derived from brands, part from... ummmm, sellotape, used as a generic term for cellulose tape