PDA

View Full Version : DirectX 9b down grades my UltraDMA to PIO mode

orcha
09-04-2004, 02:55 PM
Hi I recently installed DirectX 9b, after checking out Device Manager I noticed that under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers that my hard drive on the primary IDE channel and my CD writer on Secondary IDE channel have both been down graded from Ultra DMA to PIO.
This is of a concern because I do a lot of Video editing from my DV camcorder and has slowed my Hard Drive down noticeably.
Has anyone else had this problem or knows how to remedy it?
Thanks Aaron

PoWa
09-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Ooh this sheds new light on my situation (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=43926). Try some techniques in there.

What OS are you running?

I had to use my old drive cos my new one died, and I was running XP but it got stuck in PIO mode as well. So I've switched over to Win98 for a while till I get my new drive back, and it doesn't suffer from PIO transfer.

Really annoying huh, you play a mp3 and it stutters, divx stutters, games a no-no. Must make video editing go at 1fps!

orcha
10-04-2004, 01:17 PM
I have had the problem on two computers one running XP with a 80GiG seagate barracuda HD 7200rpm and a VIA MB and the other with a fresh install of Win2000 on a 20GIG Fujitsu HD 5400rpm also on a VIA chipset MB.
While installing the drivers in the Win2000 PC I checked the device manager after each new driver was installed all was fine until I upgraded DirectX to 9b I will do a fresh install soon and only upgrade to DirectX 8 (which I have on disk) and see what happens will let you know.
Aaron.

orcha
10-04-2004, 01:49 PM
PoWa, I have just read in an old Mag how to fix my problem and it worked :).
Just go to device manager and uninstall your primary and secondary IDE controllers then reboot, windows will detect them again, then will want to reboot again this time they should be set to ULTRA DMA.
Hope this works for you.
Aaron.