PDA

View Full Version : Clone with Norton 2003 Laptop > Desktop

Tobas
09-04-2004, 07:24 AM
I wish to clone my Laptop HDD to a spare desktop HDD as a backup using Norton Ghost 2003.

Before I start, I need to clarify this in case I am just wasting my time trying :-)

The laptop has WIN XP and the file system is NTFS, the desktop's HDD is however formated in FAT32.

Will these two HDDS and their file systems get on nicely together and could the Desktop HDD, with the backup, be recloned back to the Laptop if the Laptop HDD failed?

It seems to me, (though I am by no means an authority on this), that the clone, on arrival at the desktop HDD is going to find totally new hardware, BIOS and setup's etc. How will it overcome this?

Perhaps this might be better - The Desktop runs WIN ME and FAT32. Can I convert this drive to NTFS? But what is involved - I have data on the desktop HDD that would be a threat to my life :-), if I lost it. Of course it has been backed up by hard copy, but I would hate to have to re-enter it all again.

Hope this makes sense :-)

godfather
09-04-2004, 07:41 AM
Why use the "clone" option though?

All you need is a normal Ghost backup to the other HDD (and the format won't matter).

Its not as if you can permanently put the desktop HDD in the laptop to restore the laptop, so a clone option seems unneccessary.

The clone option simply recreates a bootable drive image ready to boot on the other HDD and is used for imaging to transfer to another HDD.

If you only want to backup an entire HDD image, use the normal method. If you restored the image at any stage, it would be fully bootable when Ghost does the restoration.

This is exactly how I use it and it works fine. I only use the "clone" option when transferring main HDD's in the system to a new one.

drcspy
09-04-2004, 08:31 AM
if you try to run a cloned hdd from one type of puter with quite different hardware to the other puter then xp is gonna throw a wobbly when you start it up

Barnabas
09-04-2004, 08:49 AM
I was just wondering how you were planning on getting the image from your laptop to your desktop? As far as I know Ghost wont work across network drives. As far as I can see you would need to have 2 partitions on your laptop so that you can create an image of the other partition.
Maybe I have a different version of ghost cause Im sure you cant make them across the network.
Maybe Godfather could shed some more light on this?
B.

godfather
09-04-2004, 09:48 AM
Ghost 2003 has Network Drive and USB Drive support as I understand.

Jen C
09-04-2004, 10:42 AM
> I wish to clone my Laptop HDD to a spare desktop HDD as a backup using Norton Ghost 2003.

Backup's are done as images and not clones. Cloning is a direct disk-to-disk copy process used when transferring the contents on an old drive onto a new drive. Imaging is when you make a compressed replicate image of your drive and save it as a file. This image file is then saved somewhere separate to the original imaged disk/partition and can be used at a later date to restore that disk/image or put onto a new hard drive disk.

As already mentioned, you cannot restore a Ghost image taken off a desktop and put it on a laptop. The image file can only be restored to hardware that is similar to the hardware from which it was created.

You can create an Ghost image of your laptop and save it to the desktop hard drive over a LAN. You can also restore this saved image back onto the laptop via the LAN. Norton Ghost 2003 has a comprehensive PDF manual available on the installation disk. Page 40 of this PDF explains how to use Ghost peer-to-peer.

If your data is critical on the laptop or desktop, you may wish to get an external USB hard drive to save your image onto directly from the laptop or desktop. This external hard drive can then be stored off site and regularly updated. Another option is to use a removeable hard drive (using a HDD caddy) in the desktop machine. The laptop (and desktop) images can be stored on this and again the drive stored off site.

Always make sure you perform an image integrity check of each image you create. No point having a image available only to find when you really need it, that it is corrupt.

>The Desktop runs WIN ME and FAT32. Can I convert this drive to NTFS?

WinME only uses FAT. Win2000 and WinXP can use either FAT or NTFS.

Tobas
09-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Wow, thanks for all the info, tis appreciated. Bit confusing though :-)

Well gave up on the idea of copying the laptop HDD to another computer and decided to image the HDD to a built in CD/DVD drive on the laptop, but it is not a rewriter type.

Anyway I tried using Ghost 2003 to image the HDD to the laptop CD but consistantly got the message error number 2203 - Invalid CD/DVD drive specified.

There is only one CD/DVD drive, which is D drive so I can"t see how I specified the wrong destination drive.

Looking at the Backup log there was a message.which flashed by far too fast to read properly, which made some sort of mention to Adeptic, which I believe is some sort of Cd Writing program. Perhaps this is my problem in that I have no software which will write to the CD in the first place?

If I had have been suscessful, would the backup image allow me to repair
the HDD in event of disaster?

Man, this learning curve is somewhat steep, which means "Watch this space as there are probably more questions to come " :-)

ugh1
09-04-2004, 01:31 PM
If your laptop and desktop PCs have network cards in them you can image the notebook that way.
Use the boot wizzard to make network bootable disks.

Using a CD-R/W with ghost is an unknown. You need to check if your drive has been tested or is compatable with ghost on the norton web site.

Ghost uses the SCSI ASPI layer to manage CD-R/W drives. This is done by "emulating" a SCSI interface on the IDE bus, which is why it only works with certain types of drives as norton make the ASPI emulation drivers... this is why you are getting the Adaptec error message as the ASPI layer is not initilizing.

Jen C
09-04-2004, 01:53 PM
>If I had have been suscessful, would the backup image allow me to repair the HDD in event of disaster?

If your OS/software loses the plot big time, your backup image will simply completely overwrite the HDD with the saved image. Your OS/software will be again exactly how it was when that image was created.

For total HDD failure, as long as you store your images on a separate hard drive (eg Slave) or use removeable media (CD/DVD, ZIP etc), you can very easily restore your system onto the replacement hard drive and it will again be an exact copy up to the date that the image was created.

When restoring a Ghost Image from a slave drive, the whole process is remarkably fast. You just boot your system using the Ghost boot disk, and point Ghost to your saved image file on the spare drive and select the master drive as the target. I could dump a saved image of Windows (about 7 gigs) back onto the master drive in a matter of minutes and be up and working again straight away.

Restoring from CD/DVD takes longer because of the data transfer speed is more limited.