PDA

View Full Version : formating without recovery discs

tones_malones
07-04-2004, 11:01 AM
hey all (long time read, no time posting) =)

i left home a few months back, and now mum wants all my *rubbish* off the family computer. I'm planning on re-formatting it.

when we bought it a few years back it had win98 pre-loaded onto it.
i don't *think* it came with any recovery discs either - unless the Windows 98 disc that came with it actually has the OS on it.

Anyhow, mums not too fussed whether its got 98 or 95 (we still have 95 on floppies!).

Do i have a hope in hell of re-formatting it?

If i do, could anyone recommend a good place with guides to reformat in my particular circumstance?

xTones.

Lohsing
07-04-2004, 11:13 AM
With the original Win98 CD you shouldn't have a problem. The issue will be getting drivers for all your hardware... If you don't have a motherboard CD with your computer you could end up having a hard time re-loading everything and getting it up and running properly.

Lo.

ambasluv
07-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Just an observation here, but does anyone else feel that having drivers for your motherboard is a worrying thought? How does one install them, when the MoBo is required to be working just to convince the computer to turn on? Confusing to us DOS fans... Aaah, DOS, one day the world will realise your vast superiority... Prob not.

Lohsing
07-04-2004, 11:25 AM
> Just an observation here, but does anyone else feel
> that having drivers for your motherboard is a
> worrying thought? How does one install them, when
> the MoBo is required to be working just to convince
> the computer to turn on? Confusing to us DOS fans...
> Aaah, DOS, one day the world will realise your vast
> superiority... Prob not.

Hmmm... you need drivers for your motherboard to make sure everything works properly... the interface with your graphics card, the speed of your hard drive, etc...

I remember not installing mobo drivers one time and when benchmarking, my hard drive was like 10 times slower than what it should have been...

Lo.

zminos
07-04-2004, 11:30 AM
see if the directory of winoows/options/cabs still exists?

if it does and contains 54 odd files, then you still have a copy of windows on the harddrive.

assuming you have the serial number for your copy of windows, just move the options folder out onto C for create a D partition first, move the files to D then format C.

with a 98 boot disk you can format C then chage to D and navigate to the cabs folder and type setup /is ( enter )

you might also want to copy the drivers folder from the windows/system/drivers ( I think from memory ) to wherever you place the cabs folders.

:)

Terry Porritt
07-04-2004, 12:33 PM
I wouldnt rely on those win95 floppies still being OK. It would be a pain half way through installing to find that disk no 15 (or what have you) is dud :)