PDA

View Full Version : iPods & MP3 players

MattyJ
07-04-2004, 12:08 AM
A quick question...
Is it possible to transfer digital camera photos directly from the digital camera to the iPod or does one have to use a computer to do this? Is this the same with other solid state MP3 players?
How is it done?
If you can't do it can you suggest any method of portable storage in large volumes for something along these lines....
Thanks

Shaun Minfie
07-04-2004, 08:11 AM
I'm sure I have seen an ad mentioning a product by Belkin. Its an adaptor for ipod's that plugs into your cam and you then download the pics.

robo
07-04-2004, 08:37 AM
I think Belkin might have an accessory for this. To be honest, unless you are going on a long trip I wouldn't bother. I've got 640Mb in my camera, I never run out.
Here it is:
Belkin iPod 6in1 Media Reader reads six card types onto the ipod. RRP $229. Should be able to find it cheaper.

robo.

Disclaimer:
This was not a paid advertisement for Belkin, or an endorsement of their products by the author. However, any bribes sent to the author by Belkin would be appreciated.

Jim B
07-04-2004, 08:42 AM
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0310/03101701belkinipodadapt.asp

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/12/02/photo_ipod.html

MattyJ
07-04-2004, 06:11 PM
thanks,
I am going to be away about a year and I figured than I would need about 10G of storage...
Yeah.. Is it possible to just connect the camera to the ipod with a usb/firewire cable?? direct download?

Graham L
08-04-2004, 03:35 PM
An iPod seems an expensive storage device. ;-) You might be able to go to photo shops or cyber cafes and download your camera to CDs for a reasonable price. These could be posted home. An iPod is an attractive item to thieves, and it would be a bit sad to lose all your pictures as well if you were unlucky.

robo
08-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Not if you keep it down your trousers, Graham.
It's a good point but an iPod is compact and convenient. Wouldn't leave it on the dash of the car, though.
robo.

Graham L
08-04-2004, 03:59 PM
"Compact and convenient." And valuable. What more could thieves want?

robo
08-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Well, yes, but if you keep it on your person, the thief would be a) rather too familiar, especially unless you had been formally introduced, and b) better off being the new Kreskin because their psyhic abilities would be substantial if it was out of view.
That being said, a bunch of CDs would be safer, but less convenient if you have to find places to do it during your travels.
robo.

Susan B
08-04-2004, 05:12 PM
> You might be able to go to photo shops or cyber cafes and download your camera to CDs for a reasonable price. These could be posted home.

Good idea Graham, but if it were me I would not be wanting to delete/overwrite the originals until I had confirmation that the CDs had actually arrived home and worked.

Imagine how tragic it would be if the CDs didn't arrive or arrived damaged.... :-(

Graham L
08-04-2004, 06:10 PM
But the basic rules of backup are: multiple copies, kept in different buildiings (or different countries). CDs are cheap. So make several copies. (And it's easy enough to check immediately after the write).

Imagine the camera and the iPod being in the same bag which disappears on the flight home. :_|

I see that police (in, I think, Canada) have advised people with iPods to dump the distinctive white Sony headphones, because there have been a lot of muggings of people effectively wearing a sign saying" I have an expensive IPod, pull your knife and take it off me". A bit like cellphones: about 710,000 stolen in street crimes in 2001 in England, 25% in London. 1500 or so street crimes in London in January this year in which only the cellphone is taken, another 2400 in which the cellphone and other things.

robo
09-04-2004, 08:37 AM
I know what you mean. I saw someone with the earphones at a soccer match and said "you've got an iPod?" and they did.
Never thought of that.
Nevertheless, I have travelled a lot with a massive bag of camera gear and it never left my sight. Wasn't ever a problem. Kept my passport and tickets in the bag, too.
(although once, I was in a place where they had run out of toilet paper and I kept that in my camera bag and left the lenses in the suitcase in my room, value is all about supply and demand)
robo.

MattyJ
09-04-2004, 10:24 AM
I think Graham has got the right idea...
Have multiple copies...
iPod
CDs
Emailed home...

Yeah...
There was one problem I though about having CDs or Emailing home and that is you have to find a place with a computer!
All very well going to a cyber cafe in the middle of Europe but what about in the middle of Asia or South America??