PDA

View Full Version : More jetstream bashing... of sorts.

ugh1
06-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Last week my DSL connection was performing worse then a 1200baud modem!!

While trying to isolate the problem before picking the phone up and making it some one elses problem I came across this useful web site:

http://centralops.net/co/

It allows you to ping your PC do a trace route and a few other useful things.

Sorry if others may have allready mentioned it.

Oh, the DSL problem fixed it self, but no answer from the ISP or telecom ( whos problem it was ) as to what the problem was.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
07-04-2004, 01:44 AM
DSL has been pretty flaky the last few weeks.

I've seen instances of 100+ people being simultaneously dropped from DC hubs etc.

Am pretty sure Telecom is doing something interesting but I can't get them to commit to an answer.

Alasta
07-04-2004, 09:21 AM
Around this time last week, my Jetstream suddenly started going unbelievably fast (it's supposed to be 128k, but it felt like it was running at nearer to 256k) but, in the last few days, it has slowed back down to snail's pace.

Anyway, I'm switching to TelstraClear soon, so it doesn't really bother me.

dibbly
07-04-2004, 12:23 PM
> Anyway, I'm switching to TelstraClear soon, so it
> doesn't really bother me.

FYI after dilly dallying I finally took the plunge, was worried I would go over my cap and get stung in fees bigtime...Telstra were fantastic, they have given me cable to try out for a couple of months. I have 1GB at the moment which is turning out to be plenty for what I want to do.
They waived the initial installation fee ($60-70, from memory). Install is free on 2yr contract, so if I cancel out before that time they will then charge me for it....pretty damn good I thought...

Oh and BTW am stoked with the speed, can't see me going anywhere else...and for $102.00 plus gst per month INCLUDING phone, saturntv - rialto+ option, I'm in paradise......:)

Alasta
07-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Cool. I signed up last week and the installers will be with me next week. It sounds like it'll be worth the wait.

At this stage, I'm taking 5Gb Internet (I'll be sharing the connection with someone else in the household, so 1Gb isn't enough and there's no option in between). However, I'm planning on getting the TV service as soon as I get over the small problem of not having a TV set. :)