PDA

View Full Version : New mobo, New XP2600 - no graphics?

hamstar
06-04-2004, 04:23 PM
I got a new motherboard (Chaintech 7NJL1) and my new AMD XP2600+ came today. I put it all together and wahoo!

But hey... mr. screen, turn on... turn on mr. screen...

My screen doesn't wanna play nice. But the GeForce 4 MX440 isn't being nice to him.

So what the hell....

I put my 1yo 64MB Geforce 4 MX440 (AGP 2x/4x) into my new Chaintek mobo (AGP 4x/8x) and suddenly I cannot play UT2004 which I have been aticipating. In fact I can't even use my computer, which I have been anticipating for 3 weeks now.

My screen just says "No Signal or Cable Unplugged"

Any Ideas?

Cheers.
.Hamstar

hamstar
06-04-2004, 04:25 PM
oops...

http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=13

Susan B
06-04-2004, 05:16 PM
> My screen just says "No Signal or Cable Unplugged"

> Any Ideas?

Plug the cable in?

Jester
06-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Disable on-board graphics in the bios?

hamstar
06-04-2004, 06:22 PM
Of course the cables plugged in LOL, but theres no onboard graphics.

Also, I have tried shorting the CMOS but to no avail.

cheers
.ham

Mike
06-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Check the video card voltage against the motherboard AGP slot voltage. If they don't match, then that'll be your problem.

Mike.

Susan B
06-04-2004, 07:27 PM
The cable may be plugged in, but is it in properly?

Check that all cable connections are secure and that the video card is inserted properly.

Does your video card still work in another computer?

What about your RAM - try removing and reinstalling.

hamstar
06-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Oh right...

>The cable may be plugged in, but is it in properly?
Yep its in properly, at both ends...

>Check that all cable connections are secure and that the video card is inserted properly.
The video card is in the slot absolutely 100%

>Does your video card still work in another computer?
The card does work in my brothers computer - at first I thought he melted my GPU but it still works in his.

>What about your RAM - try removing and reinstalling.
Just removed RAM, switched around, tried either stick on it own and shorted the CMOS again but nothing....

My motherboard says you can change whether its in 8x mode or 4x mode but doesn't say if thats default or not.

And how do I find my motherboards AGP voltage?

hamstar
06-04-2004, 07:48 PM
>And how do I find my motherboards AGP voltage?
i.e. it doesn't say in the manual

metla
06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
it says on the very page that you linked to that it accepts 4xagp cards.

One universal-AGP slot for both 4X/8XAGP

hamstar
06-04-2004, 09:44 PM
a quick look in the manual proved that

*smacks head

Elephant
07-04-2004, 07:15 AM
So do you get any POST beeps when turning the computer on?

Davesdad
07-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Hi Hamstar

AGP 2.0 (2x 4x) uses 1.5v signaling.
AGP 3.0 (4x 8x) uses 0.8v signaling.

Thus I believe you have a compatibility issue between your graphic card and your mobo and your only option will be to upgrade your graphic card.
See http://www.intel.com/technology/agp/downloads/agp30_final_10.pdf

hamstar
07-04-2004, 10:26 PM
>Thus I believe you have a compatibility issue between your graphic card and your mobo and your only option will be to upgrade your graphic card.

arrghhh!!!

I was afraid of that....

I need a job....

Although I do believe the mobo's default setting is agp 8x, so if I can borrow coldfusions 8x card and I could switch it to 4x do you thing that would change the voltage or is it still agp 3.0?

I get no POST beeps....

metla
07-04-2004, 10:31 PM
whats the exact model of your card?

hamstar
07-04-2004, 10:55 PM
exact model?

Eagle GeForce MX440 64MB SDRAM w/TV out (RCA+S-Video)

Don't know the RAMDAC freq's off by heart, but I think its something like 215MHz...

Is that suffice to the exact model of my card?

hamstar
08-04-2004, 09:44 AM
so have i got all the mighty guru's of PF1 stumped then?

Davesdad
08-04-2004, 10:02 AM
> so have i got all the mighty guru's of PF1 stumped
> then?

No, we're thinking

Davesdad
08-04-2004, 10:20 AM
No POST could indicate any of a number of problems. The CPU, MOBO, Video card, and RAM need to be tested with a system that is known to work.

Jester
08-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Interestingly I had the exact same problem with my PC last night. I was mucking about with the refresh rate over-rides in the Nvidia control panel and selected 200 MHz - well, the monitor didn't like it and all I got was a blank screen with the 'check signal' message.

I couldn't reverse the settings, even in safe mode, as the Nvidia control panel didn't load with std VGA graphics :( As far as I am aware the PC started and was operating ok, but of course I couldn't see anything.

I had to do a system restore to get things back to normal.

Maybe the refresh rate is set too high for your monitor?

Just another thought ....

J
:D

hamstar
08-04-2004, 01:07 PM
hmmm, interesting, but I just got this mobo so all settings should be the same as last time.

And I can hear it doing post (the little clicks...), it just doesn't beep.

And I took my computer down to coldfusions and tested it with his card (PixelView GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB DDR) and thats AGP v3.0 so now I'm thinking its something wong with the slots and/or chipset.

Heres the auction btw... (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail_expired.asp?id=9933806)

Well I don't particularly wanna be bothered sending the thing back to him, I'd rather just fix it myself and conquer this problem.

Plus, I think not being on the computer is doing good for me... I've bogged up my car, cleaned it...

hamstar
08-04-2004, 04:37 PM
I really have stumped everyone haven't I.... even godfather?

Susan B
08-04-2004, 04:43 PM
> Well I don't particularly wanna be bothered sending the thing back to him, I'd rather just fix it myself and conquer this problem.

That is understandable but just remember that if you fiddle around with it too much and damage something or it somehow turns to custard, don't expect the supplier to be very sympathetic if you do end up returning it.

You just might void the warranty and be left with nothing...

Besides, at this rate it might actually be quicker to return it and get a replacement. :p :D

hamstar
08-04-2004, 04:50 PM
>That is understandable but just remember that if you fiddle around with it too much and damage something or it somehow turns to custard, don't expect the supplier to be very sympathetic if you do end up returning it.

>You just might void the warranty and be left with nothing...

>Besides, at this rate it might actually be quicker to return it and get a replacement.

nah its off trademe you see? So there is no warranty or replacement...

Susan B
08-04-2004, 05:05 PM
> nah its off trademe you see? So there is no warranty or replacement...

Oh, now I get it.

Duh, I was going to click on that Trademe link but never got around to it.

hamstar
08-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Like, what the hell.... usually theres a fix it plan for something like this already...

Are you guys boycotting me cos I say bad things bout bill?

metla
08-04-2004, 11:37 PM
Boards dead.

fix it plan #1

Cut your losses and never buy anything that is advertised as not garenteed to work.

"refurbished" to my understanding means it was returned as faulty.

I think your lack of responces is because most have probally reached the "dead" board conclusion.

No post when everything else is a known-good part can only mean the motherboard.

And a motherboard is like any other part of a computer, when its dead it gets replaced.

hamstar
08-04-2004, 11:55 PM
damn, well that means I'm gonna have to take my XP2600 off and get some new hs compound, send the mobo back, or sell it on... but can I sell it at the same price?

Jester
09-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Whether you decide to on-sell it depends on YOUR integrity mate. The guy who sold it to you said he couldn't guarantee that it works, you more or less can guarantee that it doesn't work.

How much it is worth then? Not much if anything.

Could be used to make the PC project Susan B posted about earlier, if you have a willing rabbit ;)

J

Orion
09-04-2004, 12:58 AM
Umm the question still is, why would you buy that motherboard when the guy said it might not even work. Ask for a refund from him!

Buy new. And not chaintech.

metla
09-04-2004, 01:02 AM
why not chaintech?

Ive had a good run with various gear of theirs over the years and the reviews i have read have been positive.

Do they have a high rate of failure?

godfather
09-04-2004, 07:52 AM
> Ask for a refund from him!

Ask for a refund?

Why?, as the motherboard was purchased despite the seller stating it was not guaranteed to work. You could ask but on what grounds?

It has exactly met the sellers stated quality (It might not work).

I cannot believe that it was about the 20th post in the thread before you decided to come clean and say it was a dodgy motherboard to start with, when everyone was trying so hard to help.

Terry Porritt
09-04-2004, 08:03 AM
You are being too kind Godfather, what a stupid waste of space this thread is, I wont say anything more as it will break the rules.

So shortly I'll be wasting space too as I launch into yet another nostalgic trip back to the 1920s. This will be a corker, so keep watching :)

Growly
09-04-2004, 08:13 AM
You know what? I'm beginning to sense alot of negative energy around this place...

hamstar
09-04-2004, 01:45 PM
>I cannot believe that it was about the 20th post in the thread before you decided to come clean and say it was a dodgy motherboard to start with, when everyone was trying so hard to help.
Whats that got to do with anything?! I still needed help! And people tried their best to and I thank them for that....

>You know what? I'm beginning to sense alot of negative energy around this place...
Me too...

Well, I'll see if he'll gimme a refund, but I think only the manufactrers can fix this one...