PDA

View Full Version : Those Email Virus scares.

beetle
06-04-2004, 03:29 PM
in relation to some other postings going on currently.

i read the symantec ? link Chilling posted and had a read.....

i was shocked to discover that in the last week, some of these current emails have been showing up in my email box, and yesterday i had 30 in one pop.

and most of them had the exact wording or subject titles as symantec said. and no i didnt look at them, mailwasher did its trick.

i update my AVG prog regularly, and use mailwasher all the time, so was pleased i have so far avoided all these nasties.....

the question i have is, AVG and Zonealarm would pick this up when it got into the system and trying to get out of the system . what would it show up as? word wise? worm? or something?

and also if it is like another post said emailing random names, does it show up where ? in your sent items or nothing?

as far as i know i dont have these nasties, just want peice of mind really.

beetle

beetle
06-04-2004, 03:35 PM
oh P.S.

when these greeblys show up in the mail box,

most are sent to Mail @xtra or private @xtra sorta thing not any actually showing up with my details, so how does this get into my eamil addy box?

beetle

stu140103
06-04-2004, 04:35 PM
> most are sent to Mail @xtra or private @xtra
> sorta thing not any actually showing up with my
> th my details, so how does this get into my eamil
> addy box?

Most of them hide your e-mail address by using BCC (blind carbon copy) or by some other means.

stu140103
06-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Hello beetle

> the question i have is, AVG and Zonealarm would
> pick this up when it got into the system and trying
> to get out of the system . what would it show up as?
> word wise? worm? or something?

If you did a scan with AVG you would get something like this: http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/virus_detected_messege.jpg

You get the idea :) ( I hope, if not just say)

& With Zonealarm you would get a pop up saying "this Program or file wants to access the internet, or something like that then you can say yes or no (like if you install a new version of MSN messenger or something like that)

BUT Note: Some viruses disable firewalls & Anti-Virus Programs

> and also if it is like another post said emailing
> random names, does it show up where ? in your sent
> items or nothing?

**Confused** do you mean in the message body???

Hope this helps :)

stu140103
06-04-2004, 04:54 PM
> BUT Note: Some viruses disable firewalls & Anti-Virus
> Programs

So if you notice any thing strange about that, do make sure you update your Anti-VirusProgram & scan your computer.