PDA

View Full Version : Can a DSL router be used to route Telstra cable?

Alasta
06-04-2004, 08:51 AM
I currently have a D-Link DSL-604+ wireless ADSL router, connected to Telecom Jetstream. In the next couple of weeks, I will be shifting to TelstraClear cable. As I understand it, the rental modem supplied by TelstraClear does not support routing features.

Obviously, I don't want to have to fork out for a non-DSL router if I can avoid it, so I am wondering if I will be able to connect the DSL-604+ to the TelstraClear modem to use as a router. If so, what sort of settings will I have to change?

Thanks in advance.

Budda
06-04-2004, 09:25 AM
not 100% sure on this but with telstra you HAVE to rent there modem, and you should be able to hook the modem up to your router and leave the rest as is

Murray P
06-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Telstra cable modems are modems only, not routers and/or firewalls. They do not use dsl technology so are different beasties, in simple terms.

To get routing functions with the modems Telstra/Saturn supply you will need to add your own router/gateway. I asked Telstra if they were intending to supply modems with built in routers, hubs/switches, to which they replied that they had no intention of supplying and taking responsibility for services past the WAN which is fair enough, it's not their network or clients that reside past the modem (ie, WAN) but your local area network (LAN). At present they supply (lease them) the modems to keep control of how people connect to their network plus, I believe it's a great money spinner for them.

You could use an old box (no monitor or keyboard required) with something like Smoothwall (Linux) loaded on it which will give you firewall and much more besides or buy a router which you might pick up from trademe for $100 - 150.

Cheers Murray P

Alasta
06-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Thanks for clarifying that. It's a pity that I'm going to have to buy a standalone router, but it's not really a big deal because Ascent have a wireless D-Link one for $180, so I think I can afford that.