PDA

View Full Version : Issues after pnew printer installation

Shortstop
05-04-2004, 10:07 PM
I run a laptop - OS ME with PIII 800.

After 3 years of using an entry level printer I have just installed an HP Photosmart printer - works great! But.....
1. Unlike my previous printer it installs as a Removable Disc, just like my digital camera and external CD Burner. This gets a little confusing as the path to CD RWs is E: File name. Other than not having them all connected at once is there any way I can reserve E: for the CD Burner?

2. I have been hibernating the laptop during the day each time I finish using it. No problem. Since I've installed the printer when I select Hibernation a pop-up box says that ' Photosmart printer cannot enter into a low power state'. ( Bossy hardware!) Help says maybe 'susfail.txt' can help, but the resultant Notepad .txt file merely confirms that it won't Suspend or Hibernate. I can get around this by turning the printer off at the wall and then selecting Hibernate....but is there any work-around for this?

Thanks.

Susan B
05-04-2004, 10:23 PM
1. See the FAQ section on Partitioning (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=30458&message=127455&q=FAQ+%2334#127455) - it gives a link to a Letter Assigner program that should fix this problem.

tweak\'e
05-04-2004, 10:30 PM
you can reserve letters for cd drives by going to device manger and sellecting the cd drive, in there you should be able to assign what letter(s) you want for the drive. for hardrives you need an app like letter assigner.

Shortstop
07-04-2004, 10:59 PM
Thanks for your replies Susan B and Tweak'e. Reserving the letter assignment for the CD Burner in Device Manager Properties didn't seem to take. It's been suggested to me that you can't reserve letter assignments for for USB hardware. Will try the Letter Assigner app when I get time.