PDA

View Full Version : Laptop

Will Hunt
05-04-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm looking at buying a laptop, upto $2500

Is there any sellers in new zealand that sell decent laptops without XP ?

I want a decent graphics card to play BF1942, 512ram, 40bgb HD min, CDRW/DVD or DVDRW drive

can some1 give me some links ?

Chilling_Silence
05-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Try Expert Infotech if you're in Auckland.

I bought a nice Clevo laptop from them with no OS :-)

Sadly though, Laptops are not meant to be gaming machines... You'd need a good graphics card in the laptop to play bf1942, these Clevo laptops only have the SiS 630 chipset boards in them.

Otherwise, Qmb Computers do the A2500H Asus Laptops at a good price, but they come with XP...

Hope this helps

Chill.

Will Hunt
06-04-2004, 09:54 AM
I'm looking at this from QMB :http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?101591

metla
06-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Nice.

Excellent price as well.

Susan B
06-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Mmmm..... that is a nice laptop.

Even has a DVD writer..... but no floppy drive. :O
*ducks flamethrowers*

Those "interface" ports, what is an EPP/ECP Parallel port/D-sub 25-pin for? A printer?

Am I correct that it cannot take a PS/2 mouse or an external modem?

godfather
06-04-2004, 02:05 PM
> Those "interface" ports, what is an EPP/ECP Parallel
> port/D-sub 25-pin for? A printer?

Correct. LPT1 - Parallel port.

> Am I correct that it cannot take a PS/2 mouse or an
> external modem?

Probably. No mention of legacy ports such as Serial RS232 or PS2.
They are a rarity on laptops now, and I note it has 4 x USB instead.

Graham L
06-04-2004, 02:15 PM
That's a printer port, Susan. It'll also take a scanner, and various other bits and bobs. I've got an Ethernet adaptor which plugs into a parallel port.

You want a floppy? No problem. For only about 3 times the price of an ordinary floppy, you can get one which plugs into one of the USB ports. You can plug a USB mouse into one of the others ... 5 there. :D I suppose if the internal modem stopped working you would just get it fixed. :D 2 year guarantee.

I'd like one too. I wouldn't mind even the previous model on their specials page for a couple of hundred less.

Susan B
06-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Thanks for that info Godfather and Graham. :-)

I think I could live without a floppy drive if necessary, and a USB mouse should be no big deal. I hope. Your disrespect for USB devices has rubbed off on me quite a bit, Graham. :p

Now, all I have to do is turn on some charm...... :p :D

Will Hunt
08-04-2004, 12:12 PM
At the moment I have an asus just like that but with less ram, hd, and no vid card or DVD writer.

I'v had network problems with it, so I may tkae it back.

At the moment, this seems the best deal, but i ahve to buy windows xp :(

Charlize
20-04-2004, 10:29 PM
I too am looking at buying a laptop, going into the whole plan knowing next to nothing about the latest technical jargon!!!

Started out ready to buy the Toshiba Satellite at the Warehouse Stationery, only to learn that a Celeron is a slower operating processor. Then found a good deal on a HP Compaq 2543 P4 (DWD RW included), and have now found out that Pentium M Centrino is better again, less heating up of the laptop and a better battery life.

I was told that a P4 2.8GHz was equivalent or faster by 10% (I think...) compared with a Centrino 1.6GHz (Appreciate a response to this from anyone if it is incorrect :o) ).

Tell me, what is wrong with XP? Appreciate your info and certainly any other recommended deals :-)

metla
21-04-2004, 12:37 AM
I believe the reason he/she/they/anyone would like to buy a laptop without XP is because they would prefer not to pay for OS they don't intend to use, the weaknesses of XP are well documented and it like any other software is not to all peoples taste.

I won't give you any recommendations on specific models but my advice would be to purchase from a company who have a clue about what they are selling and can give advice/info before and after the sale.

Personally I wouldn't touch a HP or Compaq, but my views don't necessarily match yours so I won't indulge as to why.

Charlize
21-04-2004, 11:37 PM
Possibly a dumb question - "But what if not XP - do people use?". I didn't think that there was another option???

p.s. Can anyone recommend brandsdirect.co.nz?

Winston001
22-04-2004, 12:21 AM
Ah well Charlize, that is a door you shouldn't open. You see, this is the moment when the Linux proselytizers leap onto your screen screaming one dimensional imprecations to get Redhat or some such.

Yes Virginia, there are other Operating Systems.

Essentially the main contenders are a variety of Linux OS which are open source and hence free. Or purchasable for a very modest cost.

Otherwise, unless you go with Apple, the average persons choice is Windows 98, 2000, ME, NT, and XP Home or Pro.

Personally I am sold on XP Pro. Incidentally I saw with suprise, XP Home crash at a friends place tonight. Never seen that before.

I use an HP 9005 laptop. AMD 2000 mobile processor. The advantage of Centrino is that wireless capability is built into the chip architecture - or so I am told. It is also very fast. But pricey at the moment.

Hope this helps. Now lets see what Ilikelinux et al have to say :D

Cheers
Winston001

metla
22-04-2004, 12:26 AM
>"But what if not XP - do people use?"

Pirated copies of XP. :D