PDA

View Full Version : Modem Help

LucyL
04-04-2004, 06:29 PM
I'm running WinXP Pro on a PIII 868 using a Dynalink V1456VQE external modem.

Since upgrading from Win98SE the modem has to be powered on before booting or XP doesn't recognise a modem is present.

[B]If[B] I remember to power the modem before booting all is fine and I get good connects and download speeds.

Problem is that I often forget to do this and have to reboot in order to use the modem - it's a real pain!! X-(

I've got the correct drivers - downloaded from Dynalink site, is there anything else I can do to make XP recognise a "powerless" modem?

godfather
04-04-2004, 06:36 PM
This appears to be the default behaviour with XP, and I am not sure there is a cure. XP just totally ignores or disables the port if the modem is not powered up.

I found exactly the same when on dial-up using a different brand of external modem. I solved the matter in those days by making up an adapter that powered up all peripherals such as the monitor modem and printer etc only when the PC was powered on.

Easiest solution is not to turn the modem off. Power use is negligible.

LucyL
04-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Thanks for that Godfather

I hoped that maybe someone knew of a tweak or something to fix this.

I guess your right about leaving modem powered on, but I'm just a bit paranoid about web access. Maybe will leave power on and pull the phone line plug.

Thanks for your help.

Lucy

Susan B
04-04-2004, 07:00 PM
I have that modem as well, Lucy and I also had to ensure it was on prior to starting the computer. Like Godfather, I have all my plugs on a powerstrip so that they are all turned on/off at the same time when I need to use the computer. It is no big deal that way. :-)