PDA

View Full Version : Have to press F1 to get to XP welcome screen

write-click
04-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Prior to getting my computer reformatted a month ago, when I turned on my computer it would briefly show the black and white screen that allowed you access to the setup, etc., then the Windows XP screen would come up, followed by the welcome screen and finally my desktop. Now what happens is it won't go past the black and white screen until I press F1. Initially the bottom line says something about hit DEL to enter setup and something else, then it goes to another black and white screen and that sits there until I press F1. It's quite annoying as I used to turn it on, do something else for a minute or so while it opened, then hit the Mail key to open Outlook Express. Any idea of why this is doing this now when it never did before? And is there a way to stop it?

godfather
04-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Post exactly what it says (not just "and something else"), as it sounds like its telling you that there is a problem in the BIOS. Thats what you are having to accept with F1.

Fix that and it will be fine. Tell us what it is and we will help fix it.

write-click
04-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Sorry Godfather, I hadn't realised the whole text was required! However, having said that, when I clicked on restart so I could get the exact wording, it went straight from that screen ("hit DEL to enter setup, hit ALT F2 to enter AWD FLASH") to the welcome screen. I turned the computer off and then turned it on again and for some strange reason it has fixed the problem! It goes from the black and white screen directly to the Windows XP start screen then to the welcome screen! Typical - it's like taking your car to the garage and then it refusing to rattle or do whatever it was before!

But, in case it does it again later, if there is a simple solution, I'd still like to hear it!

godfather
04-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Hmm..

The rest of the message is not of any help after all, but then there is not a problem at this stage.

Such problems are consistent with a CMOS backup battery expiring however, where the BIOS settings are lost and you have to acknowledge the defaults being applied by pressing F1.

Thats the cheap option, as the batteries are only $3 - $4 at the supermarket battery stand (CR 2032).

write-click
04-04-2004, 06:10 PM
It sounds like the battery option could be a good idea then, I'll give that a try. Sorry to be so blonde (I'm actually a redhead but still a bit dumb when it comes to computers!), but where does the battery go? I know where the one on my Mac was, but I've never opened the case on this one so I may need a little guidance! Mine is a PC Company Athlon 1600 tower if that helps to narrow down the location.

On another matter, I had a PC Company mouse that kept freezing but they just told me to uninstall and reinstall the drivers, which made no difference at all. It was really frustrating, especially when it did it at the end of a long email you hadn't saved... A friend said to get a USB mouse and leave the other one plugged in, but tuck it down behind the computer. I was sceptical but it has not frozen once since then. If I had known a $45 new mouse would have fixed it, I would have replaced it straight away! Most unlike a computer company not to suggest replacing something and taking your money!

godfather
04-04-2004, 06:34 PM
The battery is on the motherboard (the main circuit board inside the case).

Its the size of a 10c coin, held under a clip.

I can't imagine why you need to leave the old mouse plugged in by the way?

write-click
05-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks GF. I'll try changing the battery as it is doing it intermittently so anything is worth a try.

As for keeping the old mouse plugged in, this was on the advice of the guy who fixed my computer. I can't remember the exact conversation but he said something about the computer continually asking for the hardware to be installed if it was removed. I thought it sounded a little odd but he's the expert!