PDA

View Full Version : home wireless network?

willtell
04-04-2004, 02:54 PM
I want to move my pc to another room in the house, one which does not have a phone jack. I also want to have access to the internet from my pc from this room.

Is there some type of device I sould plug the phone jack into and recieve and send data from this device using a wireless network?.

tweak\'e
04-04-2004, 03:01 PM
not that i know of. if you had adsl mayby. any reason you can't wire up a phone jack?

HadO
04-04-2004, 05:19 PM
You could get two 802.11b/g PCI cards and setup a wireless network with Internet Connection Sharing - dependant on your Windows version of course.

Only negative - you would obviously have to turn the "server" system on feeding your net connection whenever you want net access.

godfather
04-04-2004, 06:45 PM
> You could get two 802.11b/g PCI cards and setup a
> wireless network with Internet Connection Sharing -
> dependant on your Windows version of course.

No, re-read the post?

He is shifting the PC away from the phone jack. There will not be a PC to act as a server at the phone jack.

Without leaving a PC at the phone jack, to which you can connect via a modem in that PC, and then network away wirelessly, the answer is no.

In the US I believe such devices that you want do exist, but I have never seen them here for the NZ system. Also the cost would likely be higher than a professionally installed phone jack.