PDA

View Full Version : 4GB File Size Limit

parry
04-04-2004, 12:45 PM
I have a laptop with o/s WinXp Home and HD formatted as FAT32. I am getting a message stating the drive doesnt support files > 4GB.

Is this limit a result of the FAT - so I just need to change to NTFS, or do I need a BIOS update?

HadO
04-04-2004, 12:56 PM
FAT supports files up to 2GB; FAT32 only supports files up tp 4GB - NTFS files can be unlimited in size.

I would recommend NTFS except if you are still using old operating systems such as Win95/98 or DOS or you have networked computers that use these operating systems that need to read your files.

To convert open the Run command box and type "cmd" and enter...

type "convert c: /fs:ntfs" << this will convert your C:\ to NTFS

Cheers

HadO
04-04-2004, 12:57 PM
You won't need a BIOS update unless your PC is extremely old but if it is currently seeing your full hard drive as FAT32 you will be sweet to convert to NTFS.

Russell D
04-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Via Google

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/choosing_between_NTFS_FAT_and_FAT32.asp

HTH

parry
04-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Cheers thanks very much guys. HadO, when converting from FAT32 to NTFS does this wipe my data like FDISK? A quick look in Google shows how to do it but doesnt mention data loss so Im presuming this isnt an issue. Correct?

HadO
04-04-2004, 01:42 PM
You can use the FORMAT command to wipe and convert eg "format c: /fs:ntfs"

The CONVERT command will just restructure the filesystem - as C:\ is the drive that the actual operating system resides on it will have to reboot to restructure - you will be asked if you want to force dismount the volume - if you press "y" it wont work anyway as the drive is being used but it will tell you it will convert next time you restart - after that everything should be automatic.

You can check your volumes by going Start, Run...

type diskmgmt.msc and press enter - this is an overview of your drives.

Cheers

Spacemannz
04-04-2004, 02:17 PM
NTFS can be read by 95/98 on a network. NOT if theyre on the same system.

Orion
04-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Yeah the convert function works wonderfully. Done that a few times myself.

> I would recommend NTFS except if you are still using old operating systems such as Win95/98 or DOS or you have networked computers that use these operating systems that need to read your files.

If one computer is using NTFS and XP, and another computer is using win9x then the Win98 computer can happily read files shared off the network... Doesn't matter if its NTFS or not. Still can access.

Only real reason to keep Fat32, is if you are dualbooting linux/older windows and want to access stuff on that partition.

Graham L
04-04-2004, 03:43 PM
What files do you have bigger than 4GB? Do you type them in with Word? :D

parry
04-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks again, I changed to NTFS without a hitch. Very quick too - only a couple of minutes. I was thinking this was going to take 1/2 hour at least so I was pleasantly surprised.

> What files do you have bigger than 4GB? Do you type
> them in with Word? :D
>
Yup its war and peace translated into 500 languages. Just an ISO Image - HD backup to DVD-R :-)