PDA

View Full Version : vhs to dvd

karent
04-04-2004, 11:07 AM
Hi. How do we take VHS to DVD? We would appreciate a simple, easy to use guide. I believe we have all the software/hardware to do the job - it's just that we need to know the process. Ta.

godfather
04-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Without knowing what all your "software/hardware to do the job" is, step by step is simply not possible.

Generically:

Capture the output of your VHS tape player using either SVHS or AV into your video capture card (again using either SVHS or AV to match the other end)

The AV Audio will need to go to your PC sound card Line Input if the Video Capture card does not include audio.

Play - Capture to HDD. Format will depend on software you have, but will be a form of MPEG usually.

Then when finished use your DVD burning software to record.

HadO
04-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Keep in mind that the video quality will be limited to what is available on the VHS tape and audio will be limited to MONO (1 channel) unless you have a NICAM/STEREO capable VHS player (2 outputs for audio - White and Red).

If you are planning to transfer your old VHS movies to DVD I would think again as myself who has watched a VHS tape after watching countless DVDs with a high resolution screen and a Digital sound system can tell you prepared to be highly dissapointed!

DVD is a very versatile medium just remember to not expect much from an old VHS player - NICAM or not.