PDA

View Full Version : windows dialog box error notice

pulling hair out
04-04-2004, 10:42 AM
Have entered a small program called Astrline, all files show up, font and the 2 dll files are entered : VBRUN300.dll and ctl3d.dll are in system 32, and program is showing on screen. Also the planet positions are in the correct place so must be operating.
BUT, a dialog box comes up, yellow triangle with exclamation mark, and states 'illegal function call' - what on earth does that mean?
I am running Windows XP and do know that it can run on Windows XP as the person who gave me the program runs it on XP.
Any clues? esp about the dialog message.
Thanks for your help.

Jim B
04-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Check the time format you have set on your computer.
The program may require a 24 hour format and you have your computer time set to 12 hour format or vice versa.

Dolby Digital
04-04-2004, 11:09 AM
VB3 is quite old now and you might have a dll conflict with XP (even though your friend can run it). Maybe get the latest vb3 runtime (vbrun300.dll). Can you get a later version of the executable?

tweak\'e
04-04-2004, 01:19 PM
have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

also a quick google search found this "If you get an error message when you run ASTRLINE, then you must manually copy the file HORARY.TTF from your c:\windows\system directory into your c:\windows\fonts directory, as Windows did not do it for you as it should have."

pulling hair out
04-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Hi Dolby Digital
Thanks for replying. There is no newer version of this program.
The vbrun300.dll I have is file version 2.31.0.0 that came with the program. Noticed in Windows that there is another Visual Basics 3.0 runtime library of Microsoft 3.0.5.38. Is that the same thing?
Where do I go to download a newer version of vbrun300.dll?
Tried reinstalling but no go. Am wondering whether it's really worth all the trouble in having it afterall.
Have a good day.

Marg Manion, Christchurch

pulling hair out
04-04-2004, 07:30 PM
hi Tweak'e
Thanks for replying. Yes I did load the Horary.TTF into my font folder. Have emailed the guy who did the program and he doesn't know why its happening. Wish I knew more about computers sometimes.
He suggested deleting astrline.ini from c:\windows then restarting the program but I explored every where and can't find that file anywhere.
Will be trying the compatibility mode next. Its nearly time to go outside and howl under a tree. Will be full Moon tomorrow.

Marg Manion

pulling hair out
04-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Hi Jim B and thanks for replying. My computer was set to am and pm but even though I changed it to the 24hr clock it still didn't work. Made sense though as my calculations are all done in GMT 24hour clock.

Saw an article on Web about Date tabs needing to be the same format. But program just said if you use the US format its mm/dd/yy and Canadian is dd/mm/yy and this affected 'Print Calender' applications.
The guy who made my program said to check c\windows\win.ini file under [INTL] to make sure iDate = 1 if using dd/mm/yyyy date format and 0 if using mm/dd/yyyy. If iDate wasn't in your win.ini file then to edit file with notepad and add line [INTL], then iDate= 1. But I don't know how to get to win.ini so haven't changed it. Thanks for your help anyway. Marg Manion.

Susan B
05-04-2004, 09:44 AM
> He suggested deleting astrline.ini from c:\windows then restarting the program but I explored every where and can't find that file anywhere.

Did you do a search on your hard drive for that file? You may need to show hidden files and folders from within Tools>Folder Options>View in Windows Explorer. Also remove the tick from "Hide extensions for known file types" if it is ticked.

Also, in the search box you may need to click on the More Advanced Options and tick the first three options as well.

> But I don't know how to get to win.ini so haven't changed it.

Right click on it and choose Open With and then select Notepad to open it. If you can't find that file do a search for it.

beama
05-04-2004, 02:11 PM
this works on most Microsoft os's to get at and edit system files type "sysedit" in the run command Be careful and yes i just tested it xp pro

pulling hair out
05-04-2004, 07:55 PM
To those who replied to my topic, thank you so much. In the end I threw the program out as no method worked.
Emailed guy who made the program and he suggested another program of his which was similar - Astroclock - and uses Visual basic 5. It worked like a charm. All smiles again. You're all a really intelligent bunch.
Marg Manion.
Christchurch.