PDA

View Full Version : AMD XP 2500+ cpu only upgrade

Orion
04-04-2004, 03:05 AM
Hi I'm deciding whether its a good idea to make a CPU only upgrade on my system. After browsing through this forum and having a look at Metla's site I realise I can get a quick n dirty upgrade to this cpu for only $170~.

My current system is a:

Motherboard (http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=21) which supports up to AMD 2600+ with bios upgrade (http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/Download/dl_desc.asp?DCSNo=4&PISNo=21) (which I have done already)

1.1Ghz AMD Athlon
384mb PC133 SD RAM

I know its a POS motherboard, but I just want a quick/cheap upgrade to hold me out till I get a new dual processor system in December.

Only thing I'm worried about is the FSB of my Motherboard is at 200, and can't increase further. Now that CPU is FSB333 (http://www.upgradeware.co.nz/xptmc/faq.htm)?

1) Will this automatically step down to FSB 200 for my motherboard?
2) Does this mean I won't reach the full clock speed of 1833MHz (2500+)? A quick calculation of 11x multiplier x 200FSB = 2200mhz, so I have room to spare?

I know I'll lose out on the FSB speed and will have not as good performance due to slow memory...

3) I looked for some performance reviews but haven't found any thus far. Too old technology I guess :p Anyone got a benchmark or two handy? I think I can remember the 2500+ performing just as well as a 2600+ because of the Barton core. That right?? Which would be better to get?

I've got some Arctic Silver 3 thermal paste at home here so I can use that. But was wondering does this CPU come with a heatsink? Or do I have to purchase one? It looks like it comes with a fan as its a retail pack...

I'm not running any case fans or anything at the moment, so is this 2500+ going to run really hot? Can I make do with no fans, and normal heatsink or am I going to have to splash out on some new cooling.

Please help me make this decision, I'll be extremely grateful :)

Orion
04-04-2004, 03:22 AM
BTW my motherboard looks like it supports SocketA, is that what the XP 2500+ is???

tommy
04-04-2004, 11:30 AM
To provide any realistic advice you will need to supply details on what you use your computer for. It would also be helpful to specify what your graphics card is.
For gaming it is often more beneficial to upgrade your graphics card first, RAM secondly and the CPU thirdly. There is little point upgrading your CPU if your graphics card is a low performer. Providing you choose wisely it can be transferred into your new system when the time comes.

Orion
04-04-2004, 02:33 PM
I've upgraded the graphics card aa few times now. Originally it had a GF2mx200 32mb in it, then I upgraded it to a GF4mx440 64mb for only $20.

So current specs are:
1.1Ghz and motherboard above
384 MB SD Ram
GF4 mx440 64mb DDR RAM (agp 8x card) My MB is only 4x though
160Gb WD 7200rpm, 8mb cache HDD
Running XP pro/98se

Basically I use the computer for games like BF1942/Desert Combat/BF Vietnam and some RTS games. I also use the computer for video encoding and I'm really reaching the limits of what the current processor can do.

In Desert Combat it really hinders me as you need a pretty good processor for that game to run well.

I'll be getting a new dual processor system in December, this is just to hold out till then...

Pete O\'Neil
04-04-2004, 03:13 PM
i think you'll find that any motherboard that uses SD-RAM wont support a Barton, the best you'll be able to get will be a Athlon 2400+ which is based on the throughbred core. And i dont think your link works could you please just post the name of the motherboard?

Orion
04-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Go to www.chaintech.com.tw

Products / MainBoard / Socket A / 7AIA5

Then navigate through that

> i think you'll find that any motherboard that uses SD-RAM wont support a Barton

Oh really? :(

Why is that???

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
04-04-2004, 05:20 PM
What I'd advice you is to, stop upgrading every time you get the money. I'd advise you to resist the pain of a slow machine, and save up for a "dream" machine. E.g. My dream machine 6 months ago can be brought now for $850 incl GST, excl keyboard, monitor, etc.

I'd suggest you like give your money a "bang" when the time comes. Personally I no longer believe in "mucking around" with upgrades. I have had many experiences of incompatability issues arise, all fixable, but creates a massive mess, etc.

:D

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
04-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Also, the upgrade will not cost as much if you buy from someone else.

Having a look at melta's site, I do believe you can get a better deal by looking here (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_1885.html)

Pete O\'Neil
04-04-2004, 06:21 PM
> > i think you'll find that any motherboard that uses
> SD-RAM wont support a Barton
>
> Oh really? :(
>
> Why is that???
>

your board uses the VIA KT133 which only supports FSB of 200mhz(2x100) or 266mhz(2x133). All the bartons have an FSB of 333mhz(2x166). You may be able to run a Barton in your board at a lower FSB eg 266mhz but im not sure how the board would deal with the extra cache the Barton has. Your best bet if you want to upgrade is to find a 2400+/2600+ based on the Throughbred B core.

Orion
04-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Yeah I did a bit of looking and found that my motherboard FAQ (http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/Support/qa_list1.asp?SPSNo=12&PISNo=21#Q2) that it doesn't actually support the barton core. :(

I think the 2400+ is the next best thing, that has the exact support for my motherboard (133/266ddr).

Currently I'm running the processor at 100mhz FSB (200ddr) and so is the ram. Once I tried overclocking the FSB to 133mhz (266ddr) and it froze up. So hopefully that was just a limitation of the 1.1Ghz CPU, not the ram.

I want to get my FSB up to 133mhz(266ddr) so I can get 133x15cpu multiplier = 1995mhz = XP 2400+.

I can get a AMD XP 2400+ from StylesPC (http://www.stylespc.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=1752&cat=99&page=1) for $118. Huuge saving! Anyone bought from them? Are they good?

tweak\'e
04-04-2004, 07:05 PM
i havn't check your motherboard but...

kt133 chipsets are not great chipsets exspecially when it comes to running XP cpu's.

personally i would do a mobo/cpu/ram upgrade.

Pete O\'Neil
04-04-2004, 07:18 PM
> Currently I'm running the processor at 100mhz FSB
> (200ddr) and so is the ram. Once I tried overclocking
> the FSB to 133mhz (266ddr) and it froze up. So
> hopefully that was just a limitation of the 1.1Ghz
> CPU, not the ram.

As long as your RAM is PC133 then i theory a 2400+ should work in your motherboard with a FSB of 266mhz. I would listen to what tweak'e has said its the voice of experience

>Anyone bought from them? Are they good?

yes styles are a good shop top buy from

Orion
04-04-2004, 07:23 PM
> kt133 chipsets are not great chipsets exspecially when it comes to running XP cpu's.

Why is that tweak'e?
Is that just because its an old chipset? or..

I know if I could afford it, I'd do MB/CPU/RAM too, but then I'd get fed up with my case and have to buy a new one of them too... and my video card would be lacking in that department, so I'd have to upgrade that too... so basically a whole new computer!

I'm saving for a better one at the end of the year. This is just a sorta interim solution ;)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
05-04-2004, 05:47 PM
> > kt133 chipsets are not great chipsets exspecially
> when it comes to running XP cpu's.
>
> Why is that tweak'e?
> Is that just because its an old chipset? or..
>
> I know if I could afford it, I'd do MB/CPU/RAM too,
> but then I'd get fed up with my case and have to buy
> a new one of them too... and my video card would be
> lacking in that department, so I'd have to upgrade
> that too... so basically a whole new computer!
>
> I'm saving for a better one at the end of the year.
> This is just a sorta interim solution ;)

Are you a 100% NZer? I'm pretty sure you are. God, I dont understand why so much of us realise the different between a 'need' and a 'want. Do you not think saving is essential? We are the biggest money lenders in the world. We have the most unstable lives (i.e. one moment millionaire, one moment bankrupt, not that bad but you get the idea) You have a 1.1Ghz processor, what are you complaining about?Yes, it may seem "slow" but do you know how fast that is compared to many other? In our household, we do practically "everything" you can with computers, incl video editing, etc. Yet, because we have patience, our best PC is a P3 700Mhz. I bet I personally, in my teen years (halfway into my second decade of living), would have more saving than alot of people in NZ.

BTW, if your under 50, and think you'll get money from Govo when you get old, stop dreaming. People estimate it to be about under 2 decades before the superannuation scheme goes out.

Now, that is completely offtopic, but the point I'm trying to make is that you should realise how fortunate you are to have a computer, let alone a *good* computer. If you can't afford a whole system now, man, your stuggling. The only trouble with PF1 that everyone seems to compare their PC against other people, making them feel they have a crap PC. *mmm.. yes, I have been affected, trying to keep myself at bay.

:8}

Orion
05-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Ok, thanks for the pep talk ~sy~ :|

I can party understand where you're coming from. I mean all my friends have the latest and greatest 3Ghz+ pcs just to play these new games (BF-V, UT2004), and yet my current system runs these new games fine. :O Its kinda funny that they have to buy this really expensive stuff to increase the eye candy (level of detail) on screen.

I've had my current system since August 2001 and its still handled everything I've thrown at it, and still does a good job.

> If you can't afford a whole system now, man, your stuggling.
I'm only 20, full-time student and I just went overseas for 2 1/2months which I saved over $7500 for. Struggling, I don't think so. :| Blessed? Indeed!

I just decided that $118 for a good upgrade was too good an offer to refuse.

I've purchased a XP 2400+ and its on the way to me now.

Basically my motherboard was running the ram at only 100Mhz, because this was being limited by the 1.1Ghz cpu (100x11multi).

Now, with this upgrade, seeing the motherboard supports 266FSB, I can crank the ram up to 133Mhz (which is what it should be anyway), and I'm also maxing out whatever cpu can be put in the motherboard, so I'll soon be running it to its full potential.

33% increase in ram speed,
2.2x increase in cpu speed.

Not bad for only $118. Will give some new life to this thing.

Pete O\'Neil
05-04-2004, 06:38 PM
i think thats a pretty good upgrade for the price, it will be interesting to see how you motherboard handles the new CPU.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
05-04-2004, 06:58 PM
>> If you can't afford a whole system now, man, your
> stuggling.
> I'm only 20, full-time student and I just went
> overseas for 2 1/2months which I saved over $7500
> for. Struggling, I don't think so. :| Blessed?
> Indeed!
>
> I just decided that $118 for a good upgrade was too
> good an offer to refuse.

Typical, the big OE behaviour. Only in NZ would the average 20s person find it exciting.... Yes, I must admit, I think I will too...

Too late for more advice/comment now... *you've brought the thing*

BTW, this may be of interest, my mates and I worked out that $1 a day is the "optimium" spending for a computer. Spend that and youll get performance, spend more, your wasting.

Orion
05-04-2004, 07:25 PM
> Typical, the big OE behaviour. Only in NZ would the average 20s person find it exciting.... Yes, I must admit, I think I will too...

What do you mean by that? Of course it would be exciting for anyone going overseas for the first time :p

Orion
05-04-2004, 07:31 PM
> BTW, this may be of interest, my mates and I worked out that $1 a day is the "optimium" spending for a computer. Spend that and youll get performance, spend more, your wasting.

Ok,

Seeing its only going to last till end of December, thats 270days left from today, so $270 would be an optimal upgrade.

Ok, so minus the cost of the cpu $118 and some rounded IDE cables $17 and postage $4.50, that leaves me with $130.50 to spend on something else.

*Hmmm maybe a RAM upgrade? :p*

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
05-04-2004, 08:06 PM
> > Typical, the big OE behaviour. Only in NZ would the
> average 20s person find it exciting.... Yes, I must
> admit, I think I will too...
>
> What do you mean by that? Of course it would be
> exciting for anyone going overseas for the
> first time :p

I see :p

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
05-04-2004, 08:08 PM
> > BTW, this may be of interest, my mates and I worked
> out that $1 a day is the "optimium" spending for a
> computer. Spend that and youll get performance, spend
> more, your wasting.
>
> Ok,
>
> Seeing its only going to last till end of December,
> thats 270days left from today, so $270 would be an
> optimal upgrade.
>
> Ok, so minus the cost of the cpu $118 and some
> rounded IDE cables $17 and postage $4.50, that leaves
> me with $130.50 to spend on something else.
>
> *Hmmm maybe a RAM upgrade? :p*

Yes, that may be the case? But have you "paid off" your "current" computer? :p

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
05-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Only about 1000 days from the day you brought it.... :p I seriously doubt you paid $1000 for it :p

tweak\'e
05-04-2004, 08:12 PM
> > kt133 chipsets are not great chipsets exspecially
> >when it comes to running XP cpu's.
>
> Why is that tweak'e?
> Is that just because its an old chipset? or..

they where buggy from day one. the kt133A was a bug fixed version. i'm not sure why but i have received reports that they where a bit dodgy running XP cpu's. your milage may vary.

metla
05-04-2004, 08:58 PM
For whats its worth i dropped a 2400+ into an epox board with the above mentioned chipset,it worked but indientified the cpu as unknown.

and when i say it worked.......it didnt run good enough to call it a success,i removed the 2400+ and used a 1700+ instead.

Still chugging along.

Orion
05-04-2004, 09:11 PM
> they where buggy from day one. the kt133A was a bug fixed version. i'm not sure why but i have received reports that they where a bit dodgy running XP cpu's. your milage may vary.

My motherboard is the KT133A version. ;)

I guess we'll find out if its a success in the next few days!

Thanks for all the input everyone :)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
05-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Yea, now, reveal your identity seeing as everything is over :p