PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive capacity not recognized by BIOS

WILLWILLWILLWILL
03-04-2004, 01:50 PM
I recently installed an 80 GB hard drive on my system. A Maxtor. I used Maxtors MaxBlast 3 to partition and format. Everything seemed OK, but every time I booted up I got this screen about "Dynami Disk Overlay...". I did notice a few bugs .. every time I went on-line, the arrow cursor would vibrate between the arrow and the little hourglass. And every time I booted up, I got the message "Please wait while Windows updates your configuration files....". Anyhow, I went to use Partition Magic 8. to make a back-up partition. I got a message that E-Z Disk was detected, and to select up-grade from the advanced menu. I never could find an advanced menu, on Disk Keeper or MaxBlast, but the MaxBlast on a floppy I used offered an option to remove the DDO. So I did, hoping Partition Magig would work. Instead, now my hard drive has shrunk to 32 GB..!! Partition Magic tells me the number of cylinders is too high for my BIOS to recognize. I tried using a cyl limitation jumper with no results. Sooooooo .. How do I GET MY bios to see that my HD is realy 80 GB'S ? Or how do I fool the BIOS ? Evidently I can't do anything to most of my disk unless the BIOS sees it. I was thinking of getting a new Bios chip cause I'm a little afraid to try to try flashing the BIOS I have. I've heard of people running into this type of situation, but haven't heard of any easy answer as yet. Any ideas??

WILLWILLWILLWILL
03-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Oh..and I forgot, my board is a pentium P845PT , my processor is a P-4 2.5 GH,

tweak\'e
03-04-2004, 02:00 PM
all thats happened is you have install a disk overlay (i assume its part of Maxblast as i havn't used that program before).

provided your bios can reconise an 80 gig drive (it should do, it sounds new enough) then get rid of the overlay and partition the drive normally.

access your bios on boot up and make sure the drive is being ID'ed correctly.

JJJJJ
03-04-2004, 05:08 PM
And make sure you set your bios selection to AUTO.
I found that out the hard way.
Jack

WILLWILLWILLWILL
05-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Cathh 22. With the disk overlay installed, I can't re-partition the drive. Without it, my 80GB drive is only 32 GB, I can't get acess tro the rest of the drive .

tweak\'e
05-04-2004, 08:10 PM
does he bios see it as a 32 gig drive?? if it sees it as an 80 gig then i suspect your useing fat32. provided the bios sees the drive correctly you should be able to partition the drive into sub 32 gig sections.

Susan B
05-04-2004, 10:16 PM
It would help if you provided more information because if you have a P-4 2.5 GH processor it indicates that your system is not that old and therefore your BIOS ought to recognise your 80GB HDD without needing an overlay.

> my board is a pentium P845PT

A search on Google does not turn up anything with this number, could you define exactly what motherboard and BIOS that you do have.

Pheonix
05-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Check out your jumper settings. You will find that one of them may be to restrict the drive to 32 gigs, to overcome some Bios limitations. Nothing to do with FAT32 sorry.

I haven't done it, but removing the 32MB limitation may cause the data on the drive not to be recognised if it is then detected as an 80GB drive. Just in case, back up anything important.

metla
05-04-2004, 10:40 PM
I would agree with Pheonix in this instance,check the jumpers aren't set to only make the first 32mb of disk space available.

And has he said,changing the jumpers to unlock the entire drive will make the drive un-usable untill reformatted.

If the drive didn't come with documetation then you may find the manufacteres website has more useful info as to jumper positions.

One drive i had stated the jumper positions but didnt give a reference as to which way to orintate the graphic while reading it,giving me a huge headache.....

WILLWILLWILLWILL
06-04-2004, 04:12 PM
I have an Intel D 845 PT board, Pentium 4 2.4 ghz processor, 512 mb DDR memory, Maxtor Diomond supermax 80 gb hard drive, AMI BIOS, and to my suprise, when I looked at the BIOS chip, it's dated 1994. This might be all moot now. I attempted to upgrade the BIOS and the upgrade failed. Since the BIOS chip is soldered in, I guess it's time for a new board.

Pheonix
06-04-2004, 05:18 PM
Obviously you just found your excuse to upgrade :D