PDA

View Full Version : Network Printer

bk T
03-04-2004, 11:59 AM
How do I connect a Printer to a small office network of 10 XP Pro PCs? They are all connected to a Hub. The network is working fine. Of course, I can connect the Printer (HP 5550) to one of the PCs and get it working without problem, provided that this PC is "ON" before anyone else can use the printer.

Is it possible to connect the printer to the hub so that it is not depending on any of the PCs? Something like how the ADSL router is connected.

Cheers.

Susan B
03-04-2004, 12:04 PM
You can use a printer server or printer switch. Have a look on DSE's site.

Dolby Digital
03-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Some printers already have an RJ45 ethernet connector so you can plug the printer directly into the hub/switch although I presume as you are asking, it doesn't.

Jeff
03-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Check your Printer manual to see if it takes a Network Card. If it does get one fitted.
If it does not then look at getting a Printer Server like a HP Jet Direct. There are other brands of Print Servers, Axis and Datalink make good one. They are fairly easy to set up. Put in the CD and follow the prompts.
Your local coputer store should be able to get one for you or tell you where to get one.

Hope this helps.

Jeff.