PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Key stuck down on my Keyboard! help

starfish
03-04-2004, 10:04 AM
My arrow key is stuck down and will not work. I have turned the keyboard upside down and removed a few crumbs!!! (kids) but the arrow key is not coming back up., Help.

Jester
03-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Gently prise it off with the edge of a rounded knife or similar. Wash, rinse and repeat, tell two friends, replace the key and bob's your uncle.

J
:D

starfish
03-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks but didn't work. When I turn the keyboard upside down the key comes up but then when I put it down on the desk it stayes down - it is not working at all.

godfather
03-04-2004, 10:50 AM
New keyboard required.

starfish
03-04-2004, 11:25 AM
I have a PC Company computer and PC Company keyboard. Can I just buy any type of keyboard or does it have to compatible? How much is a cheap one?

Tom McB
03-04-2004, 11:48 AM
I think a small spring either has gone missing or is broken. If it's still there, you can try salvaging the longer half, stretching it a bit to the length of the original and reattaching. Might pay to make a coil at one end similar to the other. For all the effort, you may have to get a new one as GF recommends.

Susan B
03-04-2004, 11:55 AM
Any type of keyboard will be fine, as long as the plug is the same as the keyboard you have now. A cheap keyboard can be from around $20 to $40 depending on the "features" (ie buttons) that it has.

Remember that "cheap" keyboards may not last as long as more expensive ones, particularly with high use. I have found that some of the letters on my $35 BTC keyboard are half worn away after 15 months' use whereas my Microsoft keyboard has no wear whatsoever on the letters after a good six years' thrashing.

I would advise you to try out a few in the shop prior to purchase as they all feel quite different to each other and you may prefer one type of "feel" to another.