PDA

View Full Version : System Crash.

max@axis
03-04-2004, 06:22 AM
I've used F1 many years ago and found the help to be invaluable.
I now have another problem that I cannot seem to fix.
I have an Abit K7T duron/thunderbird MB with 750mHz chip,with 256mb pc133 sdram,msi Geforce2 MX AGP card with 32mb. Sound blaster live, 300w PS and firewire card. 2 HD totalling 120mb.
Its been running fine with XP pro until last week when it crashed totally.

On power up there is no signal to the monitor. I've disconnected the drives to boot straight from the cmos but still no signal.
I've left the machine for a day then tried again. This time it booted to windows but via disk checking. There were errors on both disks. I started a defrag session but it crashed going to safe mode and stated that a device had failed but that windows had fixed the problem.
It then displayed another message about not being able to write to screen.
Then it died for good.

Any ideas anyone.

I have a horrible suspicion that either the motherboard has died or worse still the drives have gone.

somebody
03-04-2004, 07:30 AM
>
> On power up there is no signal to the monitor. I've
> disconnected the drives to boot straight from the
> cmos but still no signal.

Since you said what you said above, I would point it down to the Motherboard or video card (possibly the RAM). Does your PC make any strange 'beeping" noises during bootup (or non-bootup)? It could also be the PSU not supplying enough power to the devices (or too much power) causing them to malfunction - possibly faulty PSU.

Also, now it has "died for good", what does it actually do, if anything? Does the PC sound like it's starting up (fans whirring etc)? Does anything at all come up on screen?

max@axis
03-04-2004, 08:49 AM
all the fans start up. disk light starts. disks start spinning up. but then stop with the disk light constantly on.
no signal to the monitor

Merlin
03-04-2004, 10:58 AM
Remove/disconnect everything from the motherboard and boot.

Note any error messages.

Refit/reconnect one item at a time, rebooting each time.

Note what error messages disappear and what error messages remain.

First items to refit or replace are memory following by hard drive.

Drive data can be recovered (usually) by fitting the drive in a second computer with a compatible operating system.

It's the responsibility of the media to examine politicians with a microscope, but they go too far when they use a proctoscope
- Anonymous

Darkillusion99
03-04-2004, 05:19 PM
has the computer been hooked up to another monitor?

max@axis
05-04-2004, 08:34 PM
tried the video card in another computer and there were no problems.
removed all cards, ram, and disconnected drives but do not get a signal from bootup.
How can you test for power supply failure?

Susan B
05-04-2004, 09:09 PM
> How can you test for power supply failure?

1. By swapping the PSU for a known good PSU.

2. Using a multimeter.

3. Using a power supply tester.

Dick Smith and Jaycar will have multimeters but I wouldn't know where you could get a PSU tester because I cannot find any on DSE's website. Someone else may know.

Some interesting info available from here (http://www.dansdata.com/quickshot018.htm).