PDA

View Full Version : Can't set up dial-up connection on XP

tbacon_nz
02-04-2004, 11:08 PM
I'm posting this for a long-distance friend as he can't connect at present, so the details are a little hazy and probably incomplete. I know he has had some problems with spyware and had his homepage hijacked, but he has now got and run spybot and seems to be clean. However he has lost his internet dial up connection and can't reinstate it. If he starts the network connection wizard, when he gets to the internet connection panel, the "connect using a dial up modem"option is greyed out.

His modem shows up in device manager, and says it is working OK. He has tried uninstalling/reinstalling it, and it still doesn't work.

Any ideas, anyone?

Tony Bacon

whiskeytangofoxtrot
02-04-2004, 11:19 PM
It's a known fault with Windows XP SP1 - usually after running a recovery CD or similar.

Microsoft KB Article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320558)

It details a couple of registry changes as fixes, however in the dozens of times I've seen this fix attempted I am yet to see it work successfully.

The only successful resolve I've ever seen is either reinstalling SP1 over the top, or starting Windows XP from scratch.

Jim B
02-04-2004, 11:29 PM
Great isn't it, you just want to do a simple routine thing like setup a dialup connection and you have to reinstall the operating system.

Really pathetic MS - just as well your supporters are loyal and forgiving.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
02-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Living on the edge there Jim...

Guess I can wait now for all the Linux fanboys to come in, and the Pro-MS team and watch the thread de-rail completely.

tweak\'e
02-04-2004, 11:50 PM
has he tried system restore?

if he can restore it then check what ver of spybot or adaware he is useing. some spyware incorrectly uninstalled will break the internet connection.

they are a few winsock repair tools around which may work if the restore optoin is not advialable.

Jim B
02-04-2004, 11:55 PM
It is not his internet connection, he can't select the dialup connection option in the setup wizard to even create a dialup connection to dial with

tweak\'e
03-04-2004, 12:12 AM
> It is not his internet connection, he can't select
> the dialup connection option in the setup wizard to
> even create a dialup connection to dial with

what are you on about ?

the reason the optoin is greyed out is due to the previous internet connection (basicly the tcp/ip and winsock) being "broken". the only ways of repairing it are restore pc, reset tcp/ip, repair winsock or reinstall. you can't make an internet connection untill its fixed.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
03-04-2004, 12:47 AM
> what are you on about ?

I think you're on the wrong path with this one.

See th KB link above.

beama
03-04-2004, 09:30 AM
that procedure works in the kb article that WTF posted, I have used it at least once

tweak\'e
03-04-2004, 12:24 PM
nope same problem, same MS fix..tho that article dosn't mention the reset tcp/ip that the other one used to. the reg fix and reset tcp/ip never used to much. however as the article says ...a reinstall does work.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
03-04-2004, 12:28 PM
> that procedure works in the kb article that WTF
> posted, I have used it at least once

has it worked?

myself and my colleagues have used it dozens of times and I have never seen it work.

rugila
03-04-2004, 01:38 PM
>what are you on about ?
I thought it was very clear what he was on about.

>the reason the optoin is greyed out is due to the previous internet connection (basicly the tcp/ip and winsock) being "broken".
> the only ways of repairing it are

Interesting selection of suggestions here.
My experiences on these have been:

>restore pc,
I'm running 2 versions of Xp on my machine, dual boot Xp home and XpPro. Neither of them will restore to a previous state. They give all signs of doing something but upon the required reboot (yes, I've checked the MS KB article on how you rename wininit.ini etc.- that doesn't work) they both state "Cannot restore Windows. None of your files have been changed.
I have to use a variety of jackups to keep them operational, given they don't restore, but I still haven't cracked the greyed-out dial-up option in XP home. I'd like to know its cause.The Xp pro dials up OK, so that's the only one I use now, except for some diagnostic and remedial work

> reset tcp/ip,
Done this. It didn't work

>repair winsock
Downloaded a couple of Winsock repair programs and tried them. They made no difference.

>or reinstall.
Have reinstalled the XP home (admittedly over the top of the existing version - I didn't want to do a reformat). Made no difference.

Also tried the MS KB article referred to by WTF. Didn't work.

All very interesting.

Any other suggestions??

tweak\'e
03-04-2004, 01:49 PM
>>what are you on about ?
>I thought it was very clear what he was on about.

sorry but " he has lost his internet dial up connection " and "It is not his internet connection" seemed a little double dutch. he lost his internet connection but the problems is not his internet connection....?:| ?:|
mayby i'm having a blonde moment.

>Any other suggestions??

if none of the optoins worked includeing the repairs as per the article that was posted then format reinstall. i think you will find a lot of people have had the same problem.

tbacon_nz
03-04-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input. He has tried the registry tweaks suggested in the KB article, and has done a partial reinstall. Neither seem to have worked.

If I read what people are saying correctly, the next step is a complete reformat and install? Seem horribly drastic, and as I said in my original post, I am trying diagnosis/help by phone, which makes it all a bit iffy.

Any other suggestions before I tell him to type "format C:" ?

Tony B

tbacon_nz
03-04-2004, 05:19 PM
OK, we finally got it fixed!

It turns out he has XP pro, not home, and he appears not to have SP1 applied.

After a lot of fossicking around, we found that the Remote Access Connection Service was stopped and could not be started. - "Access denied". More fossicking, and found this (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829779) KB article. Applying these registry tweaks seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks again to everyone for their contributions.

One last question - is SP1 the same for Home and Pro? i.e. can the same SP1 CD be applied to either?

Tony Bacon

Alan Cottrell
03-04-2004, 07:46 PM
Hi Tony,

I've had this problem arise a few times, here is a fix that as always worked for me, try the following

Before starting make a backup of your registry, just in case

Open Regedit (start, run, regedit)

Find (HKLM>System>Currentcontrolset>Services>Rasman>PPP>EAP

Left click on EAP you should see 4 keys > 13,4,25,and 26

Delete the keys 25 and 26 then reboot your PC.

Your problem should now be fixed

if you did not see those 4 keys make sure your modem is properly configured and dialling rules are set up correctly in control panel.

Regards

Alan

Scouse
03-04-2004, 08:55 PM
Hi tbcaon. I supprt Alan Cottrell. I had the identical problem once after reinstalling Windows XP Pro. Thinking that is was something to do with my ISp I called Xtra's 0800 number. A bright young man there warned me that he was not an Operating System expert but walked me through the Registry Editor to Local Machine, System, etc to EAP where "we" deleted items 25 and 26. He even emailed a worksheet similar to Alan's above reply. I still have it. Magic. Problem resolved immediately.

tbacon_nz
03-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Thanks scouse and alan - that registry tweak is the one I referred to in the KB article in my earlier post and used to fix the problem.

Tony

tweak\'e
03-04-2004, 11:07 PM
thanks alan, will give that a try next time i see a pc with that problem.

braindead
05-04-2004, 11:31 AM
See here also:

http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

:)

Mzee
05-04-2004, 02:11 PM
This all could be avoided if you had made a Ghost Image file of C:\ when everything was up & running.
It would only take a few minutes to reinstall the whole system :)

The system restore is unreliable.

I had the same problem with XP Home, but never XP Pro.