PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions

JJJJJ
02-04-2004, 07:34 AM
Since I have discovered my problems were caused by a faulty ram stick I have removed it and am now running on one stick of 512 mb.
All is going well and I have all my software installed.
I would like some suggestions on what to do about replacing the faulty stick. The ram is labelled RamBo 512 mbs DDR Ram pc 3200 cl3 0312. If I replace the faulty one with a better quality ram, how will it run in paralell with the one still in my computer? Should I replace them both? If so ,what with?

I have now installed MS Flight Simulator 2004 and am trying to play it with my keyboard. Not a very satisfactory. I guess I need a joystick. PROBLEM, I don't have a game port. Cain I get a joystick that can run from a serial port or from USB.Or even from a PSI mouse or keyboard port.
Suggestions please.
Jack

Murray P
02-04-2004, 08:25 AM
The ram (or machine) should be in warranty if I have read your other thread correctly, take it back for a replacement. If they can't replace with like try and get both sticks replaced. You can run different brands together as but, it can cause problems. Any other identifying numbers on the ram? There is a list (on the net) somewhere that will identify the manufacturer.

USB or wireless joysticks are avaiable pretty much anywhere. You'll want to keep your keyboard hooked up for control.

Cheers Murray P

JJJJJ
02-04-2004, 08:45 AM
Comp is not under warranty. As I bought it without an o/s it was sold only with a parts warranty. I e-mailed them yesterday and asked for a replacement, but have not heard back. And I'm certainly not going to send the box back to Auckland.
Apart from reliability is there any other reason not to just put in another stick of generic ram. I'm thinking of buying a pair of registered ram sticks.
Would this just be a waste of money?
Jack

Murray P
02-04-2004, 09:00 AM
> Comp is not under warranty. As I bought it without an
> o/s it was sold only with a parts warranty. I
> e-mailed them yesterday and asked for a replacement,
> but have not heard back. And I'm certainly not going
> to send the box back to Auckland.

Ok, so the ram is still covered. They will probably be happy to send it, less hassle for them.

> Apart from reliability is there any other reason not
> to just put in another stick of generic ram. I'm
> thinking of buying a pair of registered ram sticks.
> Would this just be a waste of money?

Registered ram would be overkill IMO. Let the original supplier (the shop) get back to you. Send them another polite email or three.

A Force who, apparently, make the Rambo ram also make Hynix. It's probalby repackaged from one of the major players. You may get away with popping in a stick of another brand but, with the same specs, no guarrantees tho. Shuffling around the available slots will sometimes help.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
02-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Forgot to mention. From what I gather Rambo ram has a lifetime warrenty which ought to be honoured.

Cheers Murray P

JJJJJ
02-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Thanks Murray P.
I have ordered a Logitech wireless joy stick from Ascent Technologies. I never knew there was such a thing.
And I have sent a "hurry up" e-mail to PC Sale. See what happens.
Jack