PDA

View Full Version : Warehouse Dell Computers- Floppy drive

Catholic Lad
01-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Just a quickie. Had a look at the Dell computers at my local Warehouse this morning. Will they take a generic floppy drive behind their front panel or is a specific Dell product required? The price is right but need the floppy for a multitude of reasons.

Cheers.

Dolby Digital
01-04-2004, 03:42 PM
My friend who has a pc shop has had 5 or so of the Dell $999 machines come in with people enquiring along similar lines. Inside there appears to be no mount for a floppy. Best bet would be a usb floppy drive (or buy a pc with a floppy)

Graham L
01-04-2004, 03:52 PM
DD: Is there a 34pin header on the motherboard, so you can connect a floppy? A lot of people could manage to fasten a drive, as long as the computer can feed it. :D

BlueTak and double sided tape are wonderful tings. ]:)

tweak\'e
01-04-2004, 04:10 PM
if they have the connectors for it why not get some packers and stick it in the spare 5" bay ?? face plates are advialable (not sure if in black tho).

Dolby Digital
01-04-2004, 06:43 PM
My "source" never mentioned that, but as a so called "professional" :p, he probably felt bluetak and double sided tape wouldn't do his reputation much good. Tweake's solution sounds a much nicer solution, but I think that the customers expected it to be done for the cost of the floppy drive only. Whatever the reason, he hasn't tackled those jobs.

Who needs floppies these days anyway ;)

The great thing about the usb floppy, is you can switch it if you buy more than one dell (limit 2 dell's per customer for this round of $999 Warehouse Dell's).

he who is surrounded by pc's all having floppy drives except for the 1.7GHz celeron

Terry Porritt
01-04-2004, 07:01 PM
But does MSDOS recognise a USB floppy ? If not, then a USB floppy is not of much use.

Dolby Digital
01-04-2004, 08:20 PM
The Dells are running XP Home which should have no problem with a usb floppy device. You can't use it as a boot device though like a normal floppy drive.

Whats this MS-DOS business anyway.

Love live cp/m :D

Catholic Lad
02-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Have put it on hold for a couple of weeks now to get something locally assembled insted.

Thanks all.

Rob99
02-04-2004, 01:06 AM
Very good idea.
You can pick up new PC's for around 1grand at DSE so shop around.

falvrez
02-04-2004, 08:24 AM
recently saw similarly spec'd PC from NFC (I think) on special with XP and LCD monitor for around same price...may have been plus GSt tho