PDA

View Full Version : USB card reader wont work on my desktop computer

tedheath
01-04-2004, 02:49 PM
My wife bought a Secure Digital (brand) USB card reader 4 months ago in Singapore.
I tried installing it on my AMD1200/W98SE pc but it never worked.
I followed instructions from readme etc but the led on it never came on.
In "my computer" screen it shows it as a removable drive D but if you click on it says it cant read and led never comes on. Believe me I tried every thing but it wont read the card.
I thought the reader or the flash card was defective and forgot about it.
Last weekend I bought Toshiba laptop 600mhz with a rabbit copy of XP on it.
Plonked installation cd in drive plugged in usb connection and muffo the led is on and it works.
Went racing back to my macrom desktop but gloom and despair its still doesnt work no led on.
The dumb thing is the installation cd didnt even have XP on it only 98 or w2000. and it worked. Maybe XP is not as bad as they say.
The usb ports on my desktop work with digital camera so its got me buggered.
Any advice would be appreciated.

tedheath

CYaBro
01-04-2004, 03:28 PM
I can tell you that you don't need drivers for card readers in Windows XP. As you said it comes up as a removable drive in 'My Computer'.

Have you tried another USB port?

tedheath
01-04-2004, 04:06 PM
I said my desktop w98secomputer shows it as a removable drive but it doesnt work. The desktop has got two usb drives and they work on digital camera.

Toshiba laptop (xp) plugged it in and it works no probs end of story.

My problem is my desktop computer (ie not my toshiba laptop) a Macrocom AMD 1200 with w98se doesnt work although on my computer it shows it as a drive but it wont read the flash card
LED light wont light up ie it doesnt read the card.
I have tried all the normal things like going into the device manager etc.
Its lucky because I was so pissed off trying to get it to work I was going to smash it. Lucky I didnt because it works fine on laptop.

CYaBro
01-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Whoops my bad!

I looked a PC yesterday that was running Win98SE. They wanted to install a USB HDD but the PC would not accept it. I tried a few other USB devices and none of them would install. Funny thing is though they also had a USB scanner that had been installed for a while and this worked fine!

In the end, after trying all sorts, I reinstalled a fresh copy of Win98SE and then all USB devices worked fine.

What about removing the USB ports from the Device Manager and restarting the PC and it should redetect them and reinstall the drivers then try card reader.

tedheath
01-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks bro I will try removing the usb ports in the device manager
thanks
tedheath