PDA

View Full Version : using RAID

jakob
01-04-2004, 12:56 PM
I've just bought a gigabyte 7N400 pro2 and 2 Hitachi 80g drives.
Running win98SE with 512MB ram.

I have tried following the gigaraid user manual for both striping and mirroring but end up with the same result. ie the system boots to the "Verifying DMI pool data" point then sits there for about 15 - 20 minutes befor eventually completing the boot into windows.
Anyone out there come across this?

Thanks in anticipation

ilikelinux
03-04-2004, 08:36 AM
Is this a new install of windows 98?

robo
03-04-2004, 08:54 AM
Two drives, mirroring is only option for additional reliability.
Gigaraid is a raid controller card?
It wasn't mirroring data between the two drives for that 20 minutes, was it. Does it happen every time?
With good hardware mirroring there should be almost no visibility of the mirrored disk and no performance reduction - should improve on read if it is smart and reads some data from both drives.
robo.

Megaman
03-04-2004, 09:03 AM
just wondering. if 2 drives are using raid1, do they show up as 2 drives, or as 1?

robo
03-04-2004, 09:58 AM
I'm rusty, raid 1 being straight mirroring? They should show everywhere as one, but a smart controller can access either for reads, effectively halving access time. Utilities can see them both, break mirroring, re-synch, etc.
robo.

Susan B
03-04-2004, 10:35 AM
It might be a good idea to check whether your motherboard has a newer BIOS version available and consider whether you need to update it.

tweak\'e
03-04-2004, 12:28 PM
one thing to watch is with some raid cards upgradeing the bios can render the raid array useless, you need to reinstall. not to sure how true that holds with the current crop of onboard raid tho.

Shaun Minfie
03-04-2004, 12:29 PM
I'm using the same motherboard albeit in raid 0.

I had to do a reinstall of Win XP to get everything running properly in the end.

Things to make sure of:

You have installed the ITE raid drivers correctly. Windows may be a little confused about this other wise.

Is the array working properly? as rob says. Is it mirroring the other disk? If the array isnt set up correctly then it may be trying to do this every time.

The latest bios for this board is F7 although from memory there havent been any documented fixes to the raid stuff. Could still be worth a crack.

If possible I would go for a reinstall if possible. I have changed MB's before without doing this but the newer ones are harder to do it with.

jakob
05-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks all
I've been off line with this B*** machine but here goes with your questions:

ilikelinux -several installs
robo -it's a raid chip on ga m/bd. It happens during win98 install (with every reboot!!) and after. I've tried installing xandros os instead but it spits out the cd after initial checks (had no problem with xandros on a regular ata setup) it just doesn't appear to recognise the raid function and I'm a linux newbie so have to give up there.
megaman -in the raid menu in BIOS and during boot it sees the 2 HDD's but when I evenyually get win 98 installed it appears as 1 HDD
susan -I'll check for updates now that I'm back online with my old pc
tweak -thanks
shaun - I've done several reinstalls with the same result (I only have win98SE). I have tried both option 0 and 1 with same result. Hopefully drivers are installed ok. I can see them in system properties.

tweak\'e
05-04-2004, 12:20 PM
if you use a floppy boot disk does it boot ok?

if its hanging at the "Verifying DMI pool data" point then i would suspect hardware problem or incorrect bios/hardware setup

jakob
05-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Yes. It boots straight into the win98 boot disk