PDA

View Full Version : Incoming Email Duplicated

Muzz
31-03-2004, 10:20 PM
All my email received over the last 2 days has been received twice....2 files are downloaded each time one after the other. Could this suggest a Virus is on board? - or what....................

stu140103
31-03-2004, 11:05 PM
> All my email received over the last 2 days has been
> received twice....2 files are downloaded each time
> one after the other. Could this suggest a Virus is on
> board? - or what....................

Does this happen with your ISP mail (pop) or hotmail? Or both?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
01-04-2004, 12:48 AM
The most likely cause of this is a message in your mailbox that is either too large, a virus, or corrupted.

When a POP client like Outlook Express goes to check mail, it connects, finds out how many messages are waiting, and then starts downloading them. It does not send a delete command until it has successfully retrieved all the waiting messages.

Thus if you get part-way through retrieving them and it stops for some reason (dud message, power failure, dropped connection) you will start back at the beginning and repeat the messages you've already downloaded.

The best way to get around this is to either log into your mailbox via the web-mail feature of your ISP and have a look at whats waiting and see which one it's getting jammed on. If it's a virus/spam message, delete it - if it's too large you could try downloading it via webmail, or again, delete it.

Failing that give your ISP a call to check your mailbox out.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
01-04-2004, 12:54 AM
Just in addition to that, I am finding it is quite common with the NetSky and Bagle viruses running around at the moment for them to jam your antivirus program up.

If you're using NAV or PC-Cillin with the pass through POP-Proxy style of checker, they seem to be choking quite regularly if they get one of these viral messages - just another thing to consider.

Jim B
01-04-2004, 08:12 AM
You could be right WTF but I took from his post that he was receiving 2 copies of the same message each time, not that he was receiving the same mail every time he did a mail check.

If Muzz could clarify this point it would help and also as Stu suggested advise the mail program in use as multiple messages can happen with Hotmail but unusual with Outlook Express.

Jim B
01-04-2004, 08:30 AM
What I meant to say was - It is possible to get multiple messages if using OE to access the Hotmail account but unusual if using OE to access a normal pop account.

Muzz
01-04-2004, 09:22 AM
Thanks for those suggestions...to answer some queries

Stu....it is POP mail thats effected
WTF...Yes it is 2 copies of the same email each time. I am using Outlook Express. The messages are not all large ones. I am running NAV and the definitions are all up to date.

Jim B
01-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Have a look in OE Tools/Accounts
Click on the Mail Tab
How many accounts are set up here.

Muzz
01-04-2004, 01:22 PM
Just the one account

tweak\'e
01-04-2004, 01:40 PM
have you checked your pop account via web mail to make sure theres not a double up at isp end?

do you download 2 copies in one go or do you download one email and then next time you colect your email its downloads a 2nd time?

>When a POP client like Outlook Express goes to check mail, it connects, finds out how many messages are waiting, and then starts downloading them. It does not send a delete command until it has successfully retrieved all the waiting messages.

actually no. they are usually downloaded and deleted off the server one at a time. however most antivirus will cause it to download the whole lot before deleteing them off the server.

POTUS
01-04-2004, 02:10 PM
I had a similar problem in Outlook. I found that I'd created duplicate Rules each of which moved the same emails to the same folder - thus creating a duplicate.

Muzz
01-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Tweak'e
Yes I checked via Webmail and only 1 message resided on the ISP server.
2 copies download in the 1 session via OE

Potus
I do not have any rules set.

Can only think that there is a Virus but NA is picking them up as they come in and the Definitions are right up to date.

Jim B
01-04-2004, 07:52 PM
You may have a corrupt POP3UIDL.DBX file.Close OE and delete that file. It will be recreated when you re-open OE.
(OE uses this file to keep track of what has already been downloaded) .

Muzz
01-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks Jim...I deleted that file, sent a test message back to myself and it only came back once, so here's hoping.........

leshibbard
04-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Jim B same problem here today, antivirus updated last Friday.

POP3UIDL.DBX file cannot be deleted !.

Will look at mail on website as suggested too.

Les #