PDA

View Full Version : How to open an emailed photo in Outlook 2000

Curly
31-03-2004, 09:06 PM
A friend sent me an email which contained a photo. The photo was contained within the body of the email and not sent as an attachment.

I could not open it. Our FAQ's were not of any help or at least not that I could find.

The photo shows as a gray square with a red cross in the top left corner.

I have fiddled around with various setting in Outlook 2000, but cannot find any setting that will open the photo. I know the answer is probably pretty simple but....

Help - please.

godfather
31-03-2004, 09:29 PM
That suggests that only a "placeholder" was sent, and the photo did not actually accompany the email?

Elephant
31-03-2004, 09:32 PM
>The photo shows as a gray square with a red cross in the top left corner.

This indicates to me that you have a link to a photo embedded rather that the photo itself. You will not be able to open this your end.

You might try a right click on the red cross and check properties. If the link shows up then paste the link into your browser and go there to see the photo.

This may work but I haven't in fact tried it as I have no red crosses here to practice on. :-)

Elephant
31-03-2004, 09:41 PM
>
> You might try a right click on the red cross and
> check properties. If the link shows up then paste the
> link into your browser and go there to see the
> photo.
>
> This may work but I haven't in fact tried it as I
> have no red crosses here to practice on. :-)

OK... Just tried this by turning off pictures in my browser and so only placeholders were shown.

I was able to check properties and cut and paste to the browser address bar and see the picture. I haven't checked what happens with a placeholder in Outlook though and it may be different.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
01-04-2004, 01:58 AM
The most probable reason I think is that they have forwarded you the message that contained the original image.

Either the web-link to the image is dead, or the file was not included when they sent it to you.

A common cause of this is a fault at the senders end.

If they use OE, under Tools --> Options --> Send --> HTML Settings --> they may have "Send pictures with messages" unticked.

That or if it's in a non-standard format it might be stripped off by the O2K SR-1 attachment removal rules.

Greg S
01-04-2004, 09:47 AM
> OK... Just tried this by turning off pictures in my
> browser and so only placeholders were shown.
>
> I was able to check properties and cut and paste to
> the browser address bar and see the picture. I
> haven't checked what happens with a placeholder in
> Outlook though and it may be different.

I would suggest that you could view your picture in your browser because the url you copied linked to the image already on your own pc. In their case it won't work because the image is sitting on the sender's pc

Fire-and-Ice
01-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Conclusion: Ask the sender to resend you the photo as an attachment. ;-)