PDA

View Full Version : DVD writer, help!

mikeymike76
31-03-2004, 08:35 AM
I have just brought a DVD writer from dick smith, check out specs at dse.co.nz (act no.XH6832), it is stated to work with my computer, yet it won't.
I first tried it as a slave on the primary ide cable with the hdd, the seondary cable held my cdrom drive as a master. It booted to the logon (win 2k), but then reset itself.
I then pulled out my knoppix cd to see if it could detect it, it didn't detect it at all, yet it says that it is linux friendly.
I then tried as a master on the secondary cable, with no cd rom, and master still on the primary cable. Same thing, it booted to login screen, and then reset itself.
I disconected the dvd drive and booted just with the cd rom, and it worked fine. I had a look in the event viewer for system to see if that could tell me why. I remember that there is a setting in windows somewhere that instead of showing the blue screen of death it will just reset itself. The event viewer just said that it found a problem in "bug trace" or something, and that a log was written. I had a look at the log, but there didnt' seem to be anything interesting in there, it just seemed to be loading a lot of system (*.sys) files.

This drive is faulty, I am not missing anything am I ?
Please help,

I am running win 2000, 256mb ram, amd anthlon 1800, 40gb hdd.

Marlboro
31-03-2004, 09:38 AM
This may sound silly, but have you checked the jumpers on the DVD Writer to match your Prim / Slave options?
You could also check to see that the BIOS is set to auto-detect your optical drives, i.e. your primary slave may be set to "None" so it wound even look for it.

Hope this helps?

mikeymike76
31-03-2004, 09:45 AM
thanks for the help
but I thought that if is the problem it wouyldn;t get past post
let alone to windows
also I have the same settings for my cd rom drive, and I eventually plugged it into the same cables as my cdrom drive ide cable and power cable. so it shoudl detect the same shouldn't it?

Marlboro
31-03-2004, 10:07 AM
From my experience (I could be wrong) if you have an Optical Drive attached with the BIOS set to NONE, your PC will boot fine and not recognise it, and if you have two devices with incorrect jumper setting on the same channel, it can get past POST, as you suggested.

I've always assumed that if you set up an optical or harddrive on the primary channel, you should have it plugged into the end connector on the IDE cable, which may make a difference

There is nothing more frustrating than spending money on a PC component and it not working...

Marlboro
31-03-2004, 10:08 AM
From my experience (I could be wrong) if you have an Optical Drive attached with the BIOS set to NONE, your PC will boot fine and not recognise it, and if you have two devices with incorrect jumper setting on the same channel, it can get past POST, as you suggested.

I've always assumed that if you set up an optical or harddrive on the primary channel, you should have it plugged into the end connector on the IDE cable, which may make a difference

There is nothing more frustrating than spending money on a PC component and it not working...

mikeymike76
31-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Thanks Malbrough, but why would the machine pick up and recognise the cd rom drive, but not the dvd drive when the jumber settings are the same, and the I am using exactly the same plugs (i.e. the dvd drive takes over where the cd rom is, the cd rom drive is not attached when the dvd drive is attached)

Anyone else have any ideas, I had an email from dick smith, and they think it is faulty as well.

I just don't wanna look stupid if its something simple!

mikeymike76
31-03-2004, 12:20 PM
sorry about the name being wrong Malboro

agent_24
31-03-2004, 12:22 PM
hmm, yea - i have had some trouble with getting burners from DSE to work too.... try checking the manual for odd little notes in funny places, eg: "only one recording software could be existed in os at one time"

following this i was able to stop my PC rebooting all the time when i installed my first CD burner.

there can also be things like "this drive may give undesireable results if connected to the same IDE cable as an ATAPI CDROM in Master mode"

etc etc. it seems that the DSE drives are mad. anyway - i dont think the drive is faulty - i have had problems like this before - just try all the different options... (and the manual)

godfather
31-03-2004, 05:44 PM
FWIW I have installed one of these today, I set it to Slave on IDE 2 and it works just fine. Just burnt 4.2 GB of data backup in 14 minutes.

Bazza
31-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Thanks GF for that info..I've been confused with the various + - R R/W formats. I value your opinion, and imagine you'ved checked out many DVD writers.

So is this DSE ND1300 writer to be recommended.

metla
31-03-2004, 09:45 PM
Its expensive,slow,unbranded and we know of at least one person having problems with it.

whats to recomend?

godfather
31-03-2004, 10:01 PM
It's branded actually.
It's made by NEC

Its average OK in price. Cheapest around (for me) is the BTC at $249, but I have had a bad experience with BTC. Happy enough at $277. DSE have a no questions asked return policy.

Its 4x DVD which is about standard speed for now. Some are 8x on the market now.

And I have no problem with it ..... anything that works is OK by me. Anything I don't have to pay return freight on if it doesn't work is likewise OK.

metla
31-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Definitly worth paying more to avoid a BTC unit.

heni72847
31-03-2004, 10:22 PM
jz wanna know.. wat's bad bout BTC..
coz.. was goin to buy some stuff from them..

metla
31-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Whats bad about btc?

Mine never believes there is a disc inserted,or just spins up and never reads the disc,or does accept its inserted but just wont eject so you can get it back....even when theres a msg box on the screen asking for the next disc.

When burning discs it burns fine,then takes up to 20 minutes to do the lead in/lead out.

Quite possibly the worst piece of hardware i have ever purchased,and i have seen many reports of people having drama with them.

Of course,my unit is just a cd writer and was purchased a couple of years ago,they may have redeemed themselves since.

I avoided them like the black death when it came time to buy a dvd-writer.

mikeymike76
01-04-2004, 09:25 AM
I went in and changed the drive. I tried it with the knopix linux disc (boot from cd), and the cd rom part seems to be ok - most of the time. But the DVD player part of the writer only works some of the time.

I tried it with my win 2000, and in the end, ended up reformating and putting win 2000 on again to stop an error loading "cdr4_sys" coming up. After putting win 2000 on, the drive seems to recognise it self in windows explorer as just a cd rom drive. But if you go into device manager into the properties it says it is a nec dvd writer. I installed software (power DVD, Nero) to see if this solved the problem to no avail.

I insert a movie dvd to play and it will sometimes recognise there is a disc in the drive, other wise it just says "no dis in drive" or "incorrect function". If it recognises there is a disc in the drive and you try to access it, it will either show the contents of the drive then lock up with both the dvd writer light on, and the hdd light on (but not actually doing anything), or display the incorrect function message. I thought it could (?) be caused by the hdd needing a defrag. So I defraged. But it still locks up.

I even installed service pack 4 for win 2000 to see if that would do anything. I am getting really annoyed with this drive!!

I am thinking of asking for a refund, unless some one can figure out what is happening?

:-)
Can someone reccomend a drive that works?

metla
01-04-2004, 09:32 AM
I have a lite-on model that has done me fine.

And last time i spoke to him Chilly had good things to say about the OptoRite drive he purchased.

Both are now available in 8x,and i would imagine for less then the dse model.

kiwibeat
01-04-2004, 11:25 AM
I have a liteon 411s and its very reliable and good value has all the firmware support online as well

tinkerer
04-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Try MSI DVD Drive (8x Speed) from PB Technologies I have installed many of these and have found no problems.

Scouse
04-04-2004, 05:07 PM
I have a recently purchased 1300A from DSE and it sings along sweet as!

mikeymike76
08-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Well I couldn't get it to work at all with win 2000, but since I am a student and the school I am with is part of academic alliance, I can put win xp on if I want. So I put win xp on, it picks up the drive and works fine, I am not sure why it won't work with win 2000, even though it clearly states it will. One of these days when I have more time, I will try again with win 2000, because i really don't like win xp.

Anyway, so there is a sort of resolution. Anyone got any theories why it wouldn't work with win 2000?

zardiw
16-02-2008, 04:55 AM
Had same problem. Think it's a Roxio issue that gets installed with Windows Media player.

Boot into safe mode.

Search for cdr4

Delete the driver.

Now it will boot.

I suggest you get some type of image backup software, that way you can restore your C Drive when necessary. I use Acronis, but recent versions (11 for instance are CRAP)..............z

zardiw
16-02-2008, 04:56 AM
PS. roxio SUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSS

beeswax34
16-02-2008, 02:01 PM
PS. roxio SUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSS

Thanks for replying to a 4 year old thread.