PDA

View Full Version : OT - Trademe trade: Payed wrong bank account number!

hamstar
30-03-2004, 11:37 PM
I did a trade on trademe (sold my mobo and processor) and when I sent the guy my bank account number (i feel like such a dork) I put the prefix 01 for ANZ instead of 12 for ASB!

Can this guy get his money back? Did I f**k him really bad? It's my fault isn't it?

I don't know whether he did it through internet or not but he should get his money back, shouldn't he? Anyone been in his situation?

I hope he does get his money back. I can't afford to give my mobo and cpu away but I don't want to leave him hanging there?

Surely any moral guess would say it can be done... easily even...

_david_
30-03-2004, 11:43 PM
hi,

I have always wondered if that could happen, but i would expect the money not to go through, unless the number for the other bank actually exists and they have the same account holder name.
Probably a good idea to ring your bank if ANZ to confirm.

dave.

hamstar
30-03-2004, 11:48 PM
My bank is ASB. I don't know what his was but it transfered cash to an ANZ account.

Fire-and-Ice
30-03-2004, 11:49 PM
Keep your fingers crossed that the ANZ bank doesnt have any accounts with the same number as yours. That way the ANZ will just decline his payment enabling him to resend it to your account instead. ;-)

metla
30-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Talk to the bank,they may even have an after hours number.

I lost a few thousand dollars once because the account numbers didn't match the account holders name(my writing skills are legendary,all the bank tellers in town have told me off)...anyhow,the money was stowed into a holding account,all it took was a visit to the bank and they reversed the transaction.

robsonde
30-03-2004, 11:53 PM
chance of it being a real account is slim, change of the name matching as well??

i would expect that it will take a few days before the bank find the cash is held in limbo untill he ask for it back.

get him to contact HIS bank ungent and sit back and pray to the god of your choice :-)

hamstar
30-03-2004, 11:55 PM
but what if it doesn't? :-(

metla
31-03-2004, 12:03 AM
If the money is unretrivable,then you still owe him the goods.He put the money were you designated for it to go.

I don't know the legal angel of it,but i would produce the gear.

hamstar
31-03-2004, 12:09 AM
Excellent news...

I tried to deposit 1c into the prefix 01 account with the particulars:

problem contact rob 420****

(my phone number)

and it said

ERROR(ENQRY1) Sorry, this transaction cannot be completed. This may be because the payee account number is invalid. Please check the account number and try again.

Thank god for that! although it does say This may be because the payee account number is invalid........

Keep ideas coming please....

45South
31-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Sold a hardrive on Trademe for $45 a while ago & gave the guy the correct bank but a digit out on the a/c number.
He tried to reverse the payment they said no.
I contacted the bank & they said because of privacy issues etc they couldn't do anything about it unless the a/c holder the money went into agreed to return it, they would contact them & ask.
Never heard anymore so I guess the SLUG decided to steal my money.
I also felt obliged to hold up my end of the deal & sent him the drive.
Never got a thanks either from memory.

hamstar
31-03-2004, 12:18 AM
bastards... morally you would think that they would be forced to, the privacy act protects to much nd it is sometimes a curse to our country.

Has something like this ever been taken to Fair Go?

Murray P
31-03-2004, 12:42 AM
Hamstar. The money can (but not necessarily) go into the ANZ but the branch numbers for each bank and every branch are unique so it will go into what is called the ANZ's UPI account (un-paid items, every bank has one) and they will be looking for somwhere to put it. Contact your bank who can confirm you existence and account details to do a bank to bank transaction if this has happened.

Advice courtesy of my wife.

Cheers Murray P

hamstar
31-03-2004, 12:48 AM
>Contact your bank who can confirm you existence and account details to do a bank to bank transaction if this has happened.

You mean,the guy has to. It went from his account to the account that should've been mine.

Or do you mean have the money put stright to mine from the UPI account.

Murray P
31-03-2004, 01:00 AM
> Or do you mean have the money put stright to mine
> from the UPI account.

Yes. Contact your bank with what has happened. Where it was deposited from and who (although anyone can deposit under a certain $ amount without ID) to what account it should have gone to and the mistaken info you gave the other person. If there were no other errors that you are unaware of, all the info should match except for the ANZ bank's ID number. It cannot go into someone elses account if the branch number was given correctly.

That's the advice given to me to pass on anyway. If that doesn't work then try the ANZ but you are less likey to be successfull because they will not know you from a bare of soap and be unable to give the verification your own bank can with your permission.

HTH & good luck. Murray P

Murray P
31-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Just a thought. When ever I do trademe or other direct deposits or get credits to my account, especially when you do not know the other person, I get the teller or the other party to add a ID number or note to the transaction. With trademe I've used the auction number and the persons initials. Some banks will and some won't and some tellers require convincing that it is possible. BY memory ASB is ok.

What this does is adds another level of security and credibility to the process although the banks can ignore it if they wish.

Cheers Murray P

PoWa
31-03-2004, 02:18 AM
If the guy tried a direct transfer like you did he would have gotten the same error you did (account does not exist).

Now if he had walked into the bank and deposited the money in person, then the bank teller -always- checks the account is valid before doing anything. So either way he must still have the money.

metla
31-03-2004, 10:23 AM
That just ain't true,the transaction i mentioned before was an over the counter job and the transaction went past the teller and stalled on the computer....

Marlboro
31-03-2004, 10:46 AM
The person depositing the money electronically into the incorrect account can (within 3 days) get the transaction reversed. These "interbank" transactions all get processed via ISL (Interchange & Settlement), which has the ability to reverse the transactions.

Hope this helps

Billy T
31-03-2004, 11:11 AM
> I contacted the bank & they said because of privacy
> issues etc they couldn't do anything about it unless
> the a/c holder the money went into agreed to return
> it, they would contact them & ask.

>> Never heard anymore so I guess the SLUG decided to
>> steal my money.

Not following up might be the real reason your $45 went south.

Banks have powers to reverse transaction errors, and don't hesitiate to act if it is their interests to do so. To get results you have to be persistent and argue on principle, not emotion.

The holder of the incorrect account number is not entitled to benefit from your mistake, and the sum of money shouldn't matter. You can bet they would act if it was $45,000, and the law would be unlikely to let the account holder get away with withdrawing the money and hiding it in another account either. That would be fraudulent conversion or some-such that Winston could probably help us with.

It goes back to my oft-quoted consumer rights advice: the three Ps Persistence, Politeness and Patience. If it is not too old, go back and try again, but this time talk to the Manager.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

tedheath
31-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Hamstar you poor bugger. I do a fair bit of buying and selling on trademe. I know it wont help now, but I only send them a cheque and ask them to email me when it clears.
If they whinge I tell them I am depositing money in their account before 7 days, so stop whinging like a pom (exact words I use). Also I mention I want a receipt and if they baulk at that I tell them I will track them down and dob them into the IRS. There are some tricks to stop getting ripped off. They are dont buy from anyone who has not 100% rating, wont let you pick up, wont give them their name, address and phone number. Then ring them up to check phone number, I check to see if the street exists if they have a foreign accent no cheque goes out.
Also from the first email if they dont give a proper name and surname that can be traced I pull the plug as well.
There are some roosters out there but also some real good dudes who can be trusted. One last week even gave my boy a brand new cd on whales when I bought a laptop off him.

tedheath

hamstar
31-03-2004, 02:08 PM
I gave my bank a call, explained the situation, and they said because my internet banking came up with an error when I tried to transfer money to that account, it means it doesn't exist.

They then said that the ANZ bank would reject the funds transfer because because it wouldn't fit in to any account, and should take about 3 days before it is deposited back into the account where it came from.

They also said if it doesn't come back then it is most probably sitting in a UPI account in which case you would need to contact your bank and get them to reverse the transaction.

I won't let this happen again and have offered to pay full freight charge ($25) for the trouble I caused him.

But I have yet to hear back from him.

Cheers for all your help people and let this be a FAQ for anyone who falls into the same rutt.

Hamstar.

Ron24
31-03-2004, 03:35 PM
I have found West Pac and National will mark the deposit with the auction number, but ANZ will not. When I asked at my last trade, the teller said we don't do that sort of thing, I told her she must be the only one that doesn't.
Good luck..Ron..

yingxuan
31-03-2004, 04:01 PM
I normally write my name in the auction and use the same name as the postage.Hmm makes everything easy.Of course i told him who the payment is by.YEP!

hamstar
31-03-2004, 04:13 PM
Well, Good news he has told me that its all good and the money is being transfered today.

Sweet. Thanks again for all your help guys...

yingxuan
02-04-2004, 02:41 AM
Here's a question for everybody.

I won an auction.The guy gave me his bank details and for the account name he gave me S K M.He didn't write his name.just wrote the initials.Are the bank suppose to not let u deposit the money in without the person's name?

PoWa
02-04-2004, 03:53 AM
> Are the bank suppose to not let u deposit the money in without the person's name?

They shouldn't do. You kinda need the account name to verify its going into the correct account?

Sounds kinda dodgy. Would you buy from me if my only contact details were P W A. ?? Nup!

yingxuan
02-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Hmm.The bank won't let me deposit because they can't verify.The person read my email but never replied.I used msgtag on him.Oh well.after 5 days if he still doesn't reply.i'll be hafing fun giving him a bad feedback.Don't wanna do it.but forced to!:'(

tedheath
02-04-2004, 11:35 AM
what is mstag?
sounds interesting
tedheath

yingxuan
02-04-2004, 11:48 AM
msgtag is a small program that attaches itself to emails.What it does is that it notifies you an email if the person at the other end reads the email which u sent.For example
My email is !!!@paradise.net.nz and im sending it to ###@hotmail.com
when ### opens the email msgtag will send an email to me to my paradise account telling me the date,time ## opened my email and the delay between the time it was sent and the time it was read by the person.
www.msgtag.com
Once the reader reads your email.he will see a small banner image down the bottum saying msgtag:this message has been notified
You can block msgtag .I've tried using the default settings of zonealarm it doesn't block msgtag.U had to go to the settings and add msgtag.com inorder to block it.
Oh yeah msgtag only works for pop3 account.Meaning if your the "sender" you must use pop3 account to use it
If u manage to block msgtag.The image will be missing down the bottum of the screen

yingxuan
02-04-2004, 11:49 AM
i used it all the time to people at trademe.Helps me realise if they have disapeared or can't b bother to reply.In this case that guy at trademe read my email but did not reply.
Hmm..If he doesn't reply.Im gonna gif that guy a bad feedback!

tedheath
02-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Thanks

tedheath

hamstar
02-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Have never needed the account name to deposit money. I just use the bank account number and it goes through by itself. ?:|

PoWa
02-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Hey thanks for the info on msgtag. Might give it a run myself :)

BIFF
03-04-2004, 05:39 PM
> I only send them a cheque and ask them to email me
> when it clears.

That's e-commerce at it's best.

> If they whinge I tell them I am depositing money in
> their account before 7 days, so stop whinging like a
> pom (exact words I use).

Yeah, everyone over there is a whinger.

> Also I mention I want a
> receipt and if they baulk at that I tell them I will
> track them down and dob them into the IRS.

Yeah, IRD should give you some kind of finders fee or something.

> If they
> have a foreign accent no cheque goes out.

Yeah, don't want to get ripped of by some terr0rist or anything.

I'd give you the worst feedback possible if I had to buy something off you. Luckily I'm not into buying embroidery products so no chance of that happening.