PDA

View Full Version : uninstall win ME and then install Win 98SE

porpora
30-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Hi all

Having a wee bit of a problem with an old computer that used to have win 95 installed. we foolishly decided to "upgrade" to win Me which was a BIG mistake. I have come into a copy of win 98SE and would now like to instal this.

What is the best way to do this? I.e. do I install 98 over ME or do I ahve to uninstall this first.

TIA

Julia

godfather
30-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Best to do a format and clean install if moving "downwards" in versions.

Create a startup floppy and start afresh. You will lose everything installed however.

JohnD
30-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Do you have a boot floppy disk - if so boot using this and type "format c:". Once finished, change onto the d: drive (the CD-ROM) and type "install" or is it "setup"?

porpora
30-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Create a startup floppy and start afresh

Thanks for prompt reply. What OS do i make the startup floppy from?

JohnD
30-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Win98 - WinME does not allow booting to a DOS command prompt without Windows. Win95 dos not include automatic recognition of the CD-ROM drive. If you need a Win98 boot disk try:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

porpora
30-03-2004, 11:45 PM
I've just started downloading the bootdisk, and am confident I can do this....

Thanks all for your help.

Julia

Mzee
31-03-2004, 03:22 PM
ME is far superior to 98, but requires a little more disc space.

tweak\'e
31-03-2004, 06:41 PM
what are specs of the pc?

what makes you think that 98SE will work better than ME ??

porpora
31-03-2004, 07:45 PM
> what are specs of the pc?
>
> what makes you think that 98SE will work better than
> ME ??

general consensus has it that with only a P2 and 48 MB RAM 98 is the better option?!!
The computer has to last another year odd, and we can afford a new computer. Can't wait.

Julia

tweak\'e
31-03-2004, 11:17 PM
the only real difference between 98se and me is driver support. with some older products you may not get ME drivers.

with some more ram (which should be easy enough unless you have a very early motherboard) 98 will run just as well as me (provided you have the correct drivers).

Mzee
01-04-2004, 01:48 PM
It has been my experience that ME is far easier to install than 98.
With 98 I have often got errors after installation, but never ME.
ME has a much better range of drivers, it also has a built in file protection scheme.
ME will run on 48megs fine, but if your Video adaptor is built in it will be taking some of it.
If the RAM is "simms" the best place to get them is in a Flea Market. (remember that they have to be fitted in indentical pairs)
If you have SDRAM you can add any size you like. If you only require another 32 or 64 megs you will probably find that your local computer repair man has used ones for sale, left over from updates. Some older computers have slots for "Simms" & "Sdram" (only use one type at a time)