PDA

View Full Version : Dick Smith keyboard - progammable key

Rosie1
30-03-2004, 08:47 PM
This came with a CD driver. It showed a choice of about ten files to select with numbers like Ku 4567. There were no "read-me's" or any literature - however there is a coverage on the box. Nothing to indicate which number to select. I selected the top one and seem to have had a succesful installation. This keyboard has a number of extra keys from the standard version - one of them, marked "A" is said to be progammable for use with "your favourite application." Hitting that keys gives me the windows calculator. Does anyone know how to program that key, everything I have tried doesn't work.

tommy
30-03-2004, 09:17 PM
The usual method is to right click the keyboard icon in the System Tray and select the customise setting. Do you have that option at all?

Rosie1
30-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Tommy, thanks for responding. I am running XP - can you point me to the systems tray ? Slightly technically challenged, (I guess that's why I'm here ?)

agent_24
30-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Yea, I bought the same keyboard myself and the CD that came with it confused me for a bit - untill i decided to check out DSE's website - they tell you which "Ku xxxx" to click on. the correct one is KB 9885, but if the keyboard works fine, you should probably leave the CD alone now. anyway - to change the setup for the programmable key, go into control panel. there you should find something called "hotkey Setup". click on that and click the "browser" button. then you can select whatever program you like.

agent_24
30-03-2004, 10:04 PM
by the way, there is no tray icon for this keyboard.

godfather
30-03-2004, 11:10 PM
the "numbers" on the CD files refer to the Catalog Numbers of the various keyboards that the driver disk supports.

If yours is KB9885 for instance, then that's the file to use. The Cat number will be very clearly marked on the box the keyboard came in....

You may need to install the driver if the option to program the keys is not available, otherwise don't bother if it works fine as suggested

agent_24
31-03-2004, 12:59 PM
I have one of these keyboards, and believe me, the only place to find the proper installation number is on the DSE website. that number is not on the keyboard itself, the instruction book, or the box. I reckon that is quite pathetic for a company like DSE, but at least you can get it from somewhere. In my opinion the number Should be on the keyboard itself at least, but its not. (hope i dont sound too mad, i am just stating the pathetic facts) note: the numbers on the CD autorun do not have anything to do with the DSE cat. numbers.

Rosie1
31-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks guys. There is definitely nothing in or on the box to indicate which option to take. By a co-incidence (?) it appears the correct one is the last one would you select if you tried them one at a time from the top.

I will ring Dick Smith myself today and acquaint the Tauranga Branch with the problem.

One selecting the correct option, (as a result of your help) I found a "read-me" file, that explains things. Unfortunately it is written by someone who probably drives a rickshaw for his "day job." I think I'll leave the programmable key alone, nothing I want is further away than a mouse click.