PDA

View Full Version : DVD/CDRW drive AWOL on Toshiba laptop

John H
30-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi folks

I haven't come across this before. The DVD/CDRW drive in my Toshiba Satellite has gone AWOL.

Device Manager shows that the driver has installed OK on boot, but it was unable to find the hardware.

Is this something I can sort at home, or is this a hardware/techie job?

Thanks
John

Murray P
30-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Is the drive detected/listed during bootup prior to windows/driver loading? If so, suspect OS or software. Installed anything new lately? Is it still under warranty?

Cheers Murray P

John H
30-03-2004, 11:11 AM
>Is the drive detected/listed during bootup prior to windows/driver loading? If so, suspect OS or software.

Well, that is interesting - this is the family computer and I hardly ever use it. I hadn't noticed that nothing is displayed prior to the OS splash screen. It doesn't do the usual listing at all. Is there a way of turning that on? I tried to get into BIOS to see if there is a setting there, but I have thus far tried F1, F2, F5, and F8 and none of them get me in.

>Installed anything new lately?

Well, sort of, yes, no... We went away for three days, so in my usual way, I shut it down, unplugged it from its highly visible position, put it in its carry bag and hid it. Then when we got back, I plugged the USB wireless LAN adapter, USB mouse, power cord and fired it up. It then demanded to reinstall the WLAN adapter driver, which was most unusual. Now the WLAN is very flaky - it works for a while and then I get the red light treatment from the indicators in the task bar (ie it has disconnected from the WLAN), and a message comes up that there is an available wireless network and do I want to connect. This has never happened before, and it is really annoying as I have tried three times to update the virus defs for that computer and it has lost them part complete each time.

I think the thing is in some kind of Windows inspired meltdown, and would like to reformat and reinstall, but can't do that without a working CD-ROM of course...

>Is it still under warranty?
Sadly, Nope.

Thanks Murray.

John

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Delete is another option to get you into BIOS.

If it's a laptop it's possible/probable the drive is removable. Try removing it and reseating it, perhaps the connection has come loose.

Does the drive still physically function (open and close) without the computer being able to spot it?

John H
30-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Thanks WTF.

Delete doesn't do it either - I suspect that Toshiba is trying to keep people out of BIOS. There is a console that allows you to do some things that you would normally do in BIOS so I suspect they have designed a front end to "protect" the computer from meddlers like me.

Unfortunately, the drive is not removable, unlike the one on my Fujitsu. It opens/closes etc with the button, and when you insert a DVD or CD, it starts to fire up and then fades away without any action. So there is power to the thing anyway.

I think this may be one for the Toshiba techie...

Thanks
John

Fire-and-Ice
30-03-2004, 12:53 PM
In this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=45669&message=257349&q=f2+%2Bbios#257349) someone mentions holding down the Function key, turn the machine on and tap the F11 key a few times in the first few seconds of the boot process as the splash screen displays. That's for a Compaq though but pressing F11 might be worth a try. ;-)

wintertide
30-03-2004, 01:04 PM
To get into the BIOS you need to switch on the laptop then immediately start pressing the Escape key. The laptop should bring up a message saying 'Check system then press [F1] key'.
That's the usual BIOS entry method for the newer Toshibas anyway - don't know if they've changed it again or not.

John H
30-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Thank you everybody. Wintertide's suggestion was the magic key. I got into BIOS OK but there is no way to turn on the display of the booting process.

I decided that as it was being a nasty little laptop that is showing other signs of internal bleeding (couldn't spell "haemo.....ing") I should take it to a surgeon, and it is now with the Toshiba supplier to sort out.

Thanks again

John