View Full Version : Power Adaptors

29-03-2004, 11:09 PM

Just wondering if anybody knows who sells a range of power adaptors, have tried Dick Smith but they didn't have what I needed. I need a power adaptor that can output 12VDC @ 1.5Amps.

Thanks in advance

29-03-2004, 11:17 PM
have you tryed www.jaycar.co.nz ??

the other option the spring to mind is to rip up an old computer power suppily.

30-03-2004, 11:44 AM
This looks about right: DSE 12V Adaptor (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/M9917)

If not, your location might be a good idea so people can reccomend places locally.

Alternatively if you're electronically inclined you could build one.

30-03-2004, 12:01 PM
The one quoted above is unsuitable as it delivers a lot less than 1.5 amps when used at 12 v.

Jaycar have one rated at 1.25 amps.

It would help if you said what you intend to use it for, as that would narrow it down as far as type goes. Does it need to be regulated, smoothed, or just "rough DC"?

30-03-2004, 02:05 PM

Thanks So far, I need the power adaptor for some Cambridge Soundworks, PC Works speakers bought as is that came without a power adapter. The instructions say a power adapter rated at 12VDC @ 1.5amp is required to power them. Not sure about regulated, smoothed etc.


30-03-2004, 02:15 PM
Possibly will not need to be regulated, depending on the circuitry used. Will certainly need to be smoothed though or else only hum will be heard.

As regulated are smoothed as well, getting a fully regulated one would be the recommendation.

Its getting a bit large for a plug pack, thats why there is none around I guess.

I suspect the 1.25 amp regulated one from Jaycar would be OK as long as you do not consistently run high volume.

If all else fails perhaps a spare computer PSU could be used, as long as it will start OK with that as the only load on the PSU?

Graham L
30-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Have a look at Cash Converters. They often have a bin of odd power bricks. A "12V 1A" one would probably handle these amplifiers. The voltage drop as more current is pulled will probably self-limit it. ;-)

I suppose these speakers are marked "400W". :D

By the time you get a regulated supply, you'd probably be better off buying a new set of speakers with the manufacturer's power supply.

30-03-2004, 03:51 PM
hmm they should be a popular type of desktop converter, we use two different ones at work which are 12V 1.5A, seems like a lot of them are 15W instead of 18W needed for the 1.5A.

meanwell make some but we buy in bulk, so not sure where you can get one offs.